U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-06-2008, 11:51 AM

573 posts, read 644,221 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the AF and we are being relocated due to EFMP (my son has autism). He is 4 y/o moderate to high functioning autism. My questions are: how are the services for special needs children in VA? Are the waiting lists really really long, as stated in several newspaper articles? Is the cost of living a detractor? And any other autistic related information would be nice.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM

656 posts, read 1,363,489 times
I have no personal experience with having to worry about finding healthcare for autistic children. However Hampton Roads should be well equipped to handle the care. I know that Norfolk has a Children's Hospital, CHKD, that is also located by Sentara Norfolk General Hospital and Eastern Virginia Medical School (so its an academic hospital where all the interesting cases are referred) that is able to attract a wide array of Pediatricians with subspecialties. It's actually one of the very few children's hospitals in the state and I actually think I remember reading a paper article a while back that talked about autism being fairly prevalent (compared to the national average) in Hampton Roads. So the care should be here for autism of all severities, but I don't know about wait times or how the cost of living would detract from care but maybe if you end up making the move here, that information can give you a starting point to look for more info.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 13,351 times
There are various services in the Hampton Roads area, but you have to really look and use other parents as a resource. My son is 7 yrs old and has been diagnosed w/autism and MR. He is completely non-verbal and has self-abusive behaviors. He participates in the SECEP program which is available through the public school system. There are also a couple private schools...Rivers Bend Academy in Suffolk, VA and Linkhorn Academy in Va. Beach, VA. There are also a couple of other establishments that offer ABA consulting/therapy...Step By Step Consulting and the Mea'Alofa Autism Support Center. There is also a camp that is absolutely wonderful...it's called Camp Gonnawannagoagain (gonna wanna go again). They offer it during spring break and several weeks during the summer. As for the waiting lists, it depends on what lists you're referring to. There are waiting lists for ABA therapy, there are waiting lists for waivers...the DD waiver and the MR waiver. Hope this info helps

Old 02-19-2008, 11:36 AM

573 posts, read 644,221 times
Heather--

SECEP is hiring. SECEP | History. They provide services for children and adults with autism. I'll be in Hampton in June/July timeframe and will be definately looking for a therapist for my son!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 22,210 times
Default Autism Help [Project]

Hi, I"m Candice. I am doing a personal project on autism. My idea is to teach a group of autistic teenagers an original step routine. The problem is, is that I do not know a proper location where I can find autistic kinds and teach them the step. Can anyone direct me to a Virginia Beach autism location. Also, if there is anyone who knows someone with autism and you'd like to help me better understand the disorder, please contact me on this.
Thank you for the help,
Candice

Old 07-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Hi, I am candice, doing a personal project on autism. If anyone gives you information on a plave where autism is available to help with, please contact me. Thank you!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:44 PM

Hi, I'm Candice.
Do you have any contact information for CHKD?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,927 times
Hello! I am looking for families who need a babysitter or nanny for their child or children who have autism. I have 3 1/2 years experience in child care and during that time I worked one-on-one with a High-functioning autistic student who attended our program. I feel very comfortable working with children who have autism. I am CPR/First Aid certified, also. If anyone is in need of such services or knows any information that may help me please give me an email at [email]curlybrunette14@aol.com[/email]. Thank you!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:20 PM

165 posts, read 299,950 times
You might want to check out www.peninsulamommies.com its a free support forum for moms in Hampton Roads. There are moms of all varieties, including moms with special needs kids. Its a great source for information. ((I hope plugging that site doesn't break any rules here, but it does offer more specific info relating to children that might not be offered on city-data...I don't think of it as a competing source of info.))

Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 AM

16 posts, read 50,165 times
for support try:

CP center of VA on newtown road
independence center on va beach blvd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area