Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 09:15 AM

19 posts, read 19,075 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I need some advice!! I plan to move to va beach around this oct or the begining of 2016! I love the beach!! I love in va now and do not want to go far from home to I settled with va beach. Also looking at other beaches possibly in North Carolina too
Anyways,
While looking at apartments I keep coming across"Willoughby beach " where is this???? Is it still in va beach? The housing I look at there on craigslist are nice looking and the rent amount seems okay around $800. Is it safe there?? Also "ocean view norfolk" how is it? What's the distance from there to va beach? Is it safe?
I've heard there can be scratchy parts of norfolk and va beach being safer so I would most likely if possible like to stay in va beach!
About me: 21 years. I plan to try to get into the school system for a job with my experience I shouldn't have any problem. What do you recommend? I like by work dealing with children, childrent with mental Heath problems etc. I also would like to attend ODU and saw I could by attending va beach higher education center vs going to the actual campus which is perfect for me
I come from somewhere where it's pretty cheap and I manage living on my own since 18 I now things will get more expensive in va beach so I'm really hoping to find a good paying job. Currently making $12 an hour.
The beach has always been somewhere I wanted to live, waking out my back door to sand and ocean is like a dream for me and based on the prices I'm seeing it seems perfect!! Please help me with any advice you may have!
I do have my own transportation and my GPS is my best friend lol
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:53 AM

553 posts, read 616,806 times
The areas you mentioned are in Norfolk. There is beach right there -- along the Chesapeake Bay, rather than the Atlantic Ocean. Willoughby Spit is the part closest to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel -- the northernmost point in Norfolk. In those areas (Willoughby, W. Ocean View, E. Ocean View), you're going to be a lot closer to the main ODU campus than the VB center.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:38 AM

184 posts, read 245,116 times
In addition to what Jobber has told you, and with respect to safe areas, I hear this question (since I am a realtor) all the time. I advise folks to call the respective Police Departments (not 911) who will tell you about complaints/arrests etc in specific areas. Hope this helps.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 AM

19 posts, read 19,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
The areas you mentioned are in Norfolk. There is beach right there -- along the Chesapeake Bay, rather than the Atlantic Ocean. Willoughby Spit is the part closest to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel -- the northernmost point in Norfolk. In those areas (Willoughby, W. Ocean View, E. Ocean View), you're going to be a lot closer to the main ODU campus than the VB center.
So would the beach parts in norfolk be cheaper than an apartment in va beach? How safe are the beaches I'm norfolk?

Old 01-30-2015, 10:30 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLovr20 View Post
So would the beach parts in norfolk be cheaper than an apartment in va beach? How safe are the beaches I'm norfolk?
Beach parts in Norfolk are cheaper than in Virginia Beach. Ocean View has actually cleaned up a lot in the past few years from what I have seen.

Everything is all dependent though on what can you afford. Seems to me that something in Willoughby might be something you can actually afford and isn't as far from ODU. Living in VB and commuting to ODU can be chaotic and not something I would put myself through unless I was around Newtown/Baker/Diamond Springs and at that point - I'd rather live in Norfolk.

I have lived in VB and in Norfolk. I would say that the neighborhood that I am living in now in Norfolk is safer than some of the neighborhoods I have lived in when in Virginia Beach so VB > Norfolk isn't always an absolute. Every city in Hampton Roads has its nice areas and its not-so-nice areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area