Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,642 times

Advertisements

My young family (we have a two year old) are moving to Williamsburg this summer. My husband got a job at W&M. We are from the west coast and not familiar with the area at all.
Do you like living in Williamsburg?
Are there many things to do with toddlers/young kids?
How are the schools in Williamsburg?
Do you recommend any neighborhoods to rent a house in that are close to the university? We plan to rent for a year before looking to buy.

Any input about the city is appreciated. We have heard good things are are excited about this move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 11:46 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,968,383 times
I moved here 10 years ago specifically to raise my kids in a small town environment. Glad we did it. My kids at the time were going in kindergarten and first grade. Schools, teachers, experience has been great. Hard to go wrong with a choice although I know some favor Matoaka and Jamestown. My kids went to DJ Montague, Hornsby and are now at Lafayette HS. I will admit I am out of the loop as far as toddler activities but there are plenty. My choice would be a neighborhood with plenty of kids as opposed to a home close to W&M. Maybe Greensprings West ? Its such a personal decision. And maybe not as important if you are renting versus buying. Maybe 6 miles to the college. I can get most anywhere in Williamsburg in 15 minutes as traffic really isnt an issue. The only traffic we get is out on the interstate. So stay off of it ..

Sport programs are huge here. Check out the WISC, and James City County Recreation Center, Kidsburg is fun, of course Busch Gardens and Water Country. When my kids were younger we went to BG and Water Country quite often. Typically in the afternoon as everyone else was leaving.
If you live in the area an annual pass to Colonial Williamsburg is $10 . Lots of fun for young kids. My teens won't be caught dead there now. LOL

Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 PM

23 posts, read 59,318 times
Congratulations on your new plans to move to Wiliamsburg! It really is a charming place. The extended area of James City County or JCC is considered Williamsburg also, just not the true core Williamsburg city area. I just mention because real estate listings will say JCC and that is often a Williamsburg address also. There may be some of JCC that is not a Williamsburg address--don't know.
Over the past 10 years Wmsbg has experienced tremendous growth in single family homes building and shopping. 7 years ago we almost bought a new home there and the shopping growth since then has been amazing. Grocery places include Food Lion (classic mostly lower priced, large grocery store) and a Walmart. Better/organic type grocery shopping includes Trader Joes, Harris Teeter and Fresh Market--all higher end stores with great selections. Most of these shopping centers are new and very nice looking, with attention to colonial charm. There is Target, TJMax, Petco, ULTA cosmetics, Michaels Arts and Crafts, Victoria Secret,and tons of boutiques and private stores. Lowes and Home Depot are there. Fast food and restaurants are plentiful because Williamsburg is a major tourist area from late spring to the start of school. Lastly there is a large complex called The Outlets. Great place to walk and shop with strollers. Some brands in there are Nike, Carters, Coach, Fossil, Polo, North Face, Kate Spade, Calvin Klein, Eddie Bauer,OshCosh (sp) and many other shops. For dept stores like Macy's, JC penney etc, one can go into Newport News, which is an easy straight shot on I64 from Wmsbg to NN--about 20 minutes. All in one zone in NN for shopping is Macy's etc, Costco, Sams, Whole Foods opening this spring--and many other stores in that area. Point made--plenty of great shopping.
Pull up Trulia.com etc online and see the good inventory of housing from 200s to over a million. What I am seeing at this time as I watch the market there is that the prices are way more reasonable on resale than in the past and still as overpriced on new construction as ever. It is very wise to rent first and look around. Most of the homes are in great shape. The landscape includes trees and hilly areas, curvy roads in many areas and is nice driving. Many housing areas are HOA developments with fees--do please read all the documents associated with those homes.
You most likely know that Busch Gardens and Water Country are in Wmsbg! That is a paradise for kid fun. Colonial Williamsburg is great historical area to walk and shop. I know very little about the schools other than they are considered good and people move from Hampton and NN to use the schools in Wmsbg.
Traffic is heavy during the tourist months but it works.
Overall the area is wonderful. Hope this info helps you out! Start packing with a smile, lol.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
I first became familiar with Williamsburg as a 17-year-old freshman at the College-- it seems like forever ago, now that I am twice that age! and I'm looking at the College for graduate school @ the School of Education. I decided a long time ago that Williamsburg is the place I would like to call home, both because I want to be there for a profession and just because I love the small-town charm of the place. After having watched several of my professors raise their kids there (like from birth to age 12-13), I decided that I like the place both for its family atmosphere and its educational atmosphere. I would hope that my family, in the future, does as well there as have the families of my profs! The place is just as good as any higher-education atmosphere could be-- and I can say that in all truthfulness, because I am the daughter of two Harvard alumni, who had just as good an educational experience as either one of my parents. I cannot say enough good things about the College-- I started out there as a science major, but after three semesters switched my major to English literature because my heart just wasn't into the sciences; when I switched my major, I discovered my true passion-- both writing myself and studying the writing of innumerable authors. At the moment, I'm working on a friend who has yet to be accepted to the College-- just give him one more semester, and he should be joining me up there in the Burg pretty soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area