Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 AM

324 posts, read 1,138,490 times

Advertisements

I realize that Va Beach is at sea level so that the roads do flood some with even a little bit of rain.....However, what areas flood badly most all the time? Looking to purchase a home there and would like this info. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:15 AM

26 posts, read 118,167 times
I live in Norfolk in the Ocean View/ Bayview area and I know that floods. But I dont really know about other places.. I get stuck in my area!!!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:33 AM

260 posts, read 1,190,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
I realize that Va Beach is at sea level so that the roads do flood some with even a little bit of rain.....However, what areas flood badly most all the time? Looking to purchase a home there and would like this info. Thanks.

There are lot's of areas in Va. Bch that flood. Yes, the streets do get flooded very easy and make driving difficult.

Holland Rd. is really bad and flood very easy. Especially the area down by the SPCA.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:05 AM

126 posts, read 595,466 times
There are rivers and creeks just about everywhere in the area. We obviously don't get land/mudslides here as we have no hills. What affects this area typically is tidal flooding. Northeaster storms (that can sometimes last for days) that push water into the Chesapeake Bay cause high tides to "stack up" into the rivers and creeks to the south.

A few areas have problems from just large rains (Lake Placid and Casleton are 2 VB areas that come to mind).

-Mark

Old 01-14-2008, 12:30 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
I lived on Poplar Point Road in the Great Neck area for 15 years. At least once or twice a year there would be from 6 to 18 inches of water flooding the street. This minor flooding occurred form short term heavy downpours. A sustained heavy rain would cause higher water levels. It was scary watching the water level rise, but it thankfully never came up to the level of my house. It was more of a nuisance than anything else.

IF/WHEN a big hurricane comes thru the area bringing an intense heavy rain, I think just about every home in Virginia Beach will experience flood damage. That was one ( of many ) reasons I sold my home and moved away from Virginia Beach. There is no way the inadequate transportation infrastructure could support a mass evacuation in the event of a major hurricane. Many people would be trapped in their homes, or worse yet, trapped in their cars on a flooded highway.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:27 PM

126 posts, read 595,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I lived on Poplar Point Road in the Great Neck area for 15 years. At least once or twice a year there would be from 6 to 18 inches of water flooding the street. This minor flooding occurred form short term heavy downpours. A sustained heavy rain would cause higher water levels. It was scary watching the water level rise, but it thankfully never came up to the level of my house. It was more of a nuisance than anything else.

IF/WHEN a big hurricane comes thru the area bringing an intense heavy rain, I think just about every home in Virginia Beach will experience flood damage. That was one ( of many ) reasons I sold my home and moved away from Virginia Beach. There is no way the inadequate transportation infrastructure could support a mass evacuation in the event of a major hurricane. Many people would be trapped in their homes, or worse yet, trapped in their cars on a flooded highway.
Rainwater run-off is something only a very few people on this planet don't have to deal with. Great Neck Estates certainly has no flooding issues.

As for Hurricanes, we are not S. Florida or even Charleston for that matter. We are quite protected from direct hits from the powerful storms. In 30 years here I have seen plenty of downed trees, crushed cars, etc., from Hurricanes. I have never seen the need to evacuate, though I would not refuse to in a real emergency situation.

The thread asked about bad flooding issues - there's no need to scare people. "Many people would be trapped in their homes", give me a break. If I were paranoid, I'd be preparing for the Tsunami that will hit the East Coast when half of one of the Canary Islands slides into the sea in the next 1000 years or so.

The doomsday scenario predicted in the above post will not happen here. Hurricanes here are usually a wind event lasting 2-5 hours.

Again, Fall Northeasters are our predominant cause of flooding in lowlying areas.

-Mark

Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Mark Sr wrote:
The thread asked about bad flooding issues - there's no need to scare people. "Many people would be trapped in their homes", give me a break. If I were paranoid, I'd be preparing for the Tsunami that will hit the East Coast when half of one of the Canary Islands slides into the sea in the next 1000 years or so.
If my post is scaring anyone, perhaps they are living in the wrong location. I simply shared my experience of the rising water levels and my own personal considerations of what could easily happen!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM

260 posts, read 1,190,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post

What a conicidence!! My best friend lives on Poplar Pt. Rd. in va bch.
Small world

Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 AM

2 posts, read 13,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
Here you go bud. See the legends on the side of the map. This depcts the worse case scenario. You can zoom into the streets where you're looking for house
[URL]http://www.vbgov.com/file_source/dept/comit/GIS/Web%20Page/FEMA%20FIRM%20Documents/ComIT_CG_FEMA_Flood_Zones_Preliminary_R2_04302008. pdf[/URL]

Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 AM

154 posts, read 388,407 times
Centre is probably not going to read this, as he posted it almost two years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area