Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 3,229 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have been reading through a lot of these threads and kind of feel like I understand the area, but still have no idea where I should be looking to live.

I am moving to the area with my bf, we are both in our mid 20s. We both have been living in Philadelphia for the last 6-7years. I have received a job offer to be working the in Navy Medical Center in Portsmouth, VA after completing my Master's degree (the next few months). From what I have read, I do not want to actually live in Portsmouth. I might want to be in the Ghent area based on the vibe everyone here has described, but I am not sold on it.

Here is what is important to us-
We want to actually live in a *nice* apartment (so for around $1000/month it is relatively new appliances, central air, and has a Washer and Dryer)
We want to be able to walk to things. We will only have one car (as of right now) and while my bf works from home, I don't want him to feel trapped inside when I have car. We are used to literally walking outside and having endless options of food and fun. A 20-35 year old demographic would be nice.
We might be getting a dog...so I'm looking into areas that are pet-friendly
We want to be near a grocery store...we're used to the foodie culture of Philly, but if we can't find the restaurants we certainly are able to cook a meal just as excellent
We must be in an *active* community. My bf and I were both D1 athletes in college, we want to be near a gym and places we can be active outside (as well as others active people).

Things that don't matter to us-
Safety..honestly, I am pretty sure even your most "ghetto" area couldn't hold a candle to Philadelphia neighborhoods. It really is ok if the area is not "leave you back door un-locked friendly" We know how to be smart and safe in dangerous areas. That's not to say I'm seeking a dangerous area...it's just really not as much of a priority. We currently live in a "diamond in the rough," a beautiful nice new condo two blocks from crack houses, and three blocks the other way from a very expensive and nice neighborhood of philly.
Commute. Everything in Philly is at least 30 minutes to get to. I commute 20 minutes to class and 45-hour to work. I'd like the commute it be under an hour...but if it is an hour that's fine too.

With that in mind, I've been looking VA Beach and Norfolk, but don't really understand beyond Oceanfront and Ghent the pros and cons of different areas.
What would be helpful is
1-Places you recommend based on what I have described (wiling to make compromises)
2-Places I should definitely avoid at all costs

We are looking to get 1-2 bedrooms for up to $1200/month.

THANKS!!!!! Seriously, thank you to anyone that can help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,290,298 times
How much is the new job going to pay? Based off what you're looking for, it really needs to be substantial because you're going to be giving up almost everything you enjoy coming here.

Ghent is the only place that remotely checks your boxes. You'll find affordable apartments in Ghent, but keep in mind you might get something older, or that has shared laundry in the basement.

Your boyfriend will have the best transit options in Ghent as well, but keep in mind it's very limited. He could walk to the Tide EVMS/Ft. Norfolk station and go Downtown (or beyond, but there's nothing really beyond that he would need/want to go to.)

You'll be able to walk to a number of different restaurants, but it's not near endless options. I'm not sure what you consider fun.

There's 4 grocery stores in/walking distance to Ghent- Farm Fresh, Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, and Food Lion. Fresh Market offers your best foodie options.

Ghent is nice, but unfortunately just very small, especially coming from an actual city. If you were to do a Street View tour, you'd get a pretty good idea of what it's like. The major thoroughfares are Colley Avenue (between 22nd Street and Brambleton,) and 21st Street (between Hampton Blvd and Monticello.)

Just stay south of the railroad tracks. While it isn't the worst area in America north of the tracks, it's not an area you would just want to go wondering around in (or live for that matter, especially when you can get just as good of a rental price in Ghent.)

An area I would avoid (and not because it's the ghetto, just because it's not going to suit your lifestyle) is Virginia Beach. The city is a giant suburb. You might hear "Town Center" but don't fall for the hype. It's a strip mall with two tall buildings.

You really need to come down and spend a week to get a feel for the area, though.

Honestly I don't think this would be a wise move for you at all (unless of course you're going to be making REALLY good money) because this area is not going to offer you the lifestyle you're looking for.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 AM

Thank you for your response!
I understand that I will be giving up my city life and that is ok- I will probably only be in the area for 2-3 years. I was just giving a reference for what I am used to. I grew up in central PA...so all we had there was the local University and farms, haha.

I appreciate the feedback about Virginia Beach. My bf is from the west coast so he's excited to be close to water and the main reason why I was considering it. We are planning to visit within the month to really get a feel for if and where we would like to move.

I really just want to be able to walk freely, be near a gym, and a grocery store. From what you've said I guess I will focus on Ghent.

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:31 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,290,298 times
You're very welcome!

I wouldn't be too excited about the water. The beach here is the exact same as if you went to Atlantic City or any shore points.

When you come I would suggest trying to stay in the potential areas you are considering (which really your only option is Ghent) so you can get a true feel of the area.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 03-10-2015, 08:35 AM

184 posts, read 243,302 times
I agree with Coconut although there are some places on Virginia Beach that meet most of your requirements except the public transportation which in my view is not very good at the Beach. You are also subject to jet noise from Naval Air Station Oceana when they are flying as the Base is close to the Beach.
In the multiple listing Service today, there are rentals in the Ghent area meeting your criteria, ranging from from $800-1200 a month and many have washers/dryers in the unit.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:41 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,718,690 times
Honestly --

if you're working in Portsmouth, I recommend the complex at 517 King St. (not sure if they allow pets or not, but the complex is beautiful - a friend of mine lived there for three years and loved it)
Five17 King Apartments | Portsmouth, Virginia

It's nothing compared to the streets of Philly, but I like Old Towne. And not having to deal with the mid-town tunnel is nice as well. I like the cool, quirky but working class vibe of Old Towne. While I like Ghent, there are a lot of hipsters and yuppies. Even as a female, you feel like you don't fit in without the beard.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:22 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,913,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
How much is the new job going to pay? Based off what you're looking for, it really needs to be substantial because you're going to be giving up almost everything you enjoy coming here.

Ghent is the only place that remotely checks your boxes. You'll find affordable apartments in Ghent, but keep in mind you might get something older, or that has shared laundry in the basement.

Your boyfriend will have the best transit options in Ghent as well, but keep in mind it's very limited. He could walk to the Tide EVMS/Ft. Norfolk station and go Downtown (or beyond, but there's nothing really beyond that he would need/want to go to.)

You'll be able to walk to a number of different restaurants, but it's not near endless options. I'm not sure what you consider fun.

There's 4 grocery stores in/walking distance to Ghent- Farm Fresh, Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, and Food Lion. Fresh Market offers your best foodie options.

Ghent is nice, but unfortunately just very small, especially coming from an actual city. If you were to do a Street View tour, you'd get a pretty good idea of what it's like. The major thoroughfares are Colley Avenue (between 22nd Street and Brambleton,) and 21st Street (between Hampton Blvd and Monticello.)

Just stay south of the railroad tracks. While it isn't the worst area in America north of the tracks, it's not an area you would just want to go wondering around in (or live for that matter, especially when you can get just as good of a rental price in Ghent.)

An area I would avoid (and not because it's the ghetto, just because it's not going to suit your lifestyle) is Virginia Beach. The city is a giant suburb. You might hear "Town Center" but don't fall for the hype. It's a strip mall with two tall buildings.

You really need to come down and spend a week to get a feel for the area, though.

Honestly I don't think this would be a wise move for you at all (unless of course you're going to be making REALLY good money) because this area is not going to offer you the lifestyle you're looking for.
Give the OP's information about what they are looking for, this is spot-on. I would only add that Downtown Norfolk could be a good option, especially the more residential parts (i.e. Freemason). Not sure if $1000 will get you an apartment with everything you want, but you'll be in a walkable area with a good vibe, close to nice restaurants, public transit, and lots of history. I enjoy Freemason whenever I'm there - plus Cure Coffee Shop has the best coffee in the city. Also, living in Freemason or Downtown may give the OP the option of taking the ferry to Portsmouth. Something to think about.

No other city in Hampton Roads has areas that offer what the OP is looking for, so I wouldn't even consider them. Regarding neighborhoods in Norfolk, here's where I'd avoid:

Park Place - just north of Ghent, and trying desperately to gentrify. Lots of great old houses, some of which have been renovated beautifully, but it still struggles with crime. I know the OP talked about being able to hang in the 'hood in Philly, and I agree that Norfolk doesn't have the same issues, but a rough spot is still a rough spot. Don't come here and pretend like crime doesn't exist just because Philly has more of it.

Huntersville - same reasons as Park Place, only with more crime and severe poverty.

Ocean View - not the 'hood per se, but definitely has its issues. Known mostly for homelessness, drug use, and prostitution. That being said, it has made strides the last decade to clean up but stuff still bubbles up. Regardless, Ocean View has to have the most loyal and proud residents of any neighborhood in Hampton Roads. People from Ocean View REALLY like Ocean View, and you know it because it says so on their license plates and bumper stickers. Take it for what you will, but I find it kind-of annoying.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,003 times
I moved down to Norfolk from North Jersey about 4 months ago. So far I'm pretty comfortable here. I wanted to comment because I went to college for four years in Philadelphia. It sounds like you would like Ghent (where I live now) or the Freemason area / Downtown. The other neighborhoods in Norfolk are either poor, or are strictly residential with very limited things within walking distance. The food scene here is honestly not that different from Philadelphia. Sure, they don't know how to cook cheesesteaks in Hampton Roads, but you can find quality places at all price ranges of a wide array of cuisines. Certainly, there are less options for 4-star restaurants, but how often are you spending $50 on an entree anyway?

~$1000 for rent should get you a nice 1BR apartment in the area. There are older buildings and newer developments here, you will have your choice. Housing is far cheaper than in the North.

The only lifestyle conflict I can see is having just one car. Public transit stinks around here. There is one lightrail line and some buses, that's it. Not having a car won't make you trapped because there are lots of things within walking distance, but it definitely is more of an inconvenience here than in northern cities. Best of luck to you and your boyfriend.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:49 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,547,418 times
Just be aware that to get from Ghent to P-town you have to deal with daily traffic issues and tolls.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:59 AM

Thank you everyone!
We've expanded our budget a bit to $1300 if we decide to look for 2 bedrooms. I have found some apartments that meet our needs within that price range so thank you all for your help!
I've been doing the google street tours around different areas to get a good idea of what the area is like.

Believe or not I am very excited to be leaving my city of Philly and joining all of you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area