Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:33 PM

178 posts, read 281,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF2ChapelHill View Post
No 7 elevens, we just have gas station/convenience stores and Sheetz. Yes I was totally floored that I was at one 7-eleven and could look down the street and see another one. It was very strange...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWmKqi1iaWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6CvySJtKY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 09:17 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I'm really starting to think that the Coconut put someone up to this and staged this whole thread...
While I appreciate you thinking I have the time, or desire to do such, it's not so. Please do confirm with a mod if you like. If I want to say something, I'll just say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Where any of your friends born there and grew up there? Why not ask somebody that is a native of Va. Beach? Somebody can tell you really what it's like in VB.
Well, that definitely wouldn't be you. Native is irrelevant. You haven't lived here in how many years... ?

Old 05-19-2015, 03:37 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
You don't have to be a native of this area to know what it's like. Live here a few years --- native or not -- and you know.

I gather anyone who criticizes HR is a troll, but a homer is unbiased? And a native homer's opinion is even better?

There are lots of 7-11 stores on the peninsula. It seems that besides an overabundance of 7-11 stores, there are lots of drugs stores, small animal vets, thrift shops and title loan outfits. A Sheetz would be nice to have. WaWa just is not the same.

Good luck to the OP where ever you decide to move to.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:25 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
You watch your mouth. Sheetz is garbage. Wawa is forever.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:42 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post

I gather anyone who criticizes HR is a troll, but a homer is unbiased? And a native homer's opinion is even better?
Not at all, being critical does not make you a troll. I am critical of the area in a lot of ways yet love living here. I didn't argue with any of the "criticisms" levied by the OP. There are 7-11's all over the oceanfront, there are a lot of crappy hotels down there, trashmore is a mediocre place to jog, and I don't suspect you would find a lot of "locally inspired handcrafted cocktails (LOL)" at the bars by the beach nor would I expect the high school kid getting paid minimum wage at the front desk to know where to find one. VB is a blue-collar middle-class vacation spot... pretty much has been for as long as I've been around.

What sounds trollish to me is how perfectly the OP's list of wants are (from the very first post) the antithesis of this area and how easily a simple search of old threads or a brief look at google maps could have turned up that fact... but somehow their "friend" has told them completely otherwise and they are "shocked" to find the truth. This thread is also their only post with nothing in the Miami forum (even though they are considering Miami as well). I called it suspicious from the start (see my initial reply), the subsequent posts just reinforced my belief that this is some sort of satire. If it isn't trolling, it should be because it is very well executed. If you looked up the history of VB criticisms on this forum, the OP managed to find practically all of them in one brief visit... it is just impressive. The only thing that could have made it better would have been a gripe about the jet noise and getting stuck in tunnel traffic on the way home because their GPS (which apparently couldn't find their friends house without a UNC flag) sent them through the downtown tunnel. haha

Either way, they realized it wasn't a good fit so everybody wins.

Last edited by UHgrad; 05-19-2015 at 05:19 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 04:44 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
While I appreciate you thinking I have the time, or desire to do such, it's not so. Please do confirm with a mod if you like. If I want to say something, I'll just say it.
I don't really think you did, it would just be funny if you did... it is just too perfect.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:26 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
couldn't find their friends house without a UNC flag..
UH, good post & summation.
I don't generally begrudge the OP for his opinions,.. just his subjective take & experience. But did think his having a hard time finding one house he was looking for,.. & then assuming the whole city is hard to navigate, is an unfair generalization of the entire area. Things could've been a lot more aggravating if his marker was a VaTech flag.. he might've ended up knocking on a lot of wrong doors.

As far as his search for a good public school experience.. I love his hometown, San Francisco,.. but guarantee that VB would offer a saner, safer public school system. /peace

Old 06-14-2015, 03:26 PM

15 posts, read 61,631 times
Hello again.

I find it very humorous that anyone thinks that this is a "staged thread"....that it isn't

My only response would be....If I'm physically in the area I'm inquiring about why would I only rely on the internet/apps for questions on places to go/restaurants/bars? The reason I made the trip to visit was to interact with the local people of the area.

I just don't know why anyone would think what I was looking for was completely 100% unobtainable in the Va Beach area. I can't recall ever being somewhere where there wasn't at least something remotely close..

Thanks again,

Scott

Old 06-14-2015, 04:50 PM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
Why are you here?

Old 06-18-2015, 01:41 AM

201 posts, read 291,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Why are you here?
And this ^ is more the reason to avoid Southern Virginia at all cost. Best of luck to you ChapelHill! I am leaving this "blessed bible belt" soon and all the more eager to do so after discovering opinions here on city-data!

p.s. Virginia does admittedly get better the further north you go. Richmond is a pretty nice spot, with an up and coming youthful scene. Avoid the military dense areas on the east coast if you can! Miami will suit you well, although I do fear much of it and the east coast will be under water in 20-30yrs. Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area