Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 11:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,729 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, new to the forum here.

I will be relocating to the Hampton Virginia area for the summer due to work, and want to know how safe the area around the Peninsula Town Center, where I have found an apartment, is. I have heard mixed reviews and would like to know if I should feel comfortable staying in this area or if I should look for a new place to live.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 PM

Anyone have info on how safe this area is? I used the search function but only came up one with thread dated back a couple years.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:44 AM

1,813 posts, read 4,195,547 times
You may want to try one of the websites where you can enter a zip code and get crime reports for that area.

I cannot help you as my only contact with Peninsula Town Center is to occasionally shop there. Do you have any apartment complexes you are considering? Search for apartment reviews on particular projects. If crime is an issue, it is apt to show up in the reviews.

The sense I have for both Newport News (where I live) and Hampton is that one apartment complex and area can be safe, but go a short distance and a nearby apartment complex may have a totally different reputation.

Good luck in your search & your work over the summer.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:49 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,608,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotov23 View Post
Anyone have info on how safe this area is? I used the search function but only came up one with thread dated back a couple years.
I have some buddies that live at the Addison (pretty close to PTC), they said the area is OK but not great. They haven't had any issues personally but have seen/heard of some property crime and assaults in the area. I eat lunch over there sometimes and it always seems fine to me.

Neighborhood scout (not sure where they get data) shows it as one of the higher crime areas in Hampton

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

but it is hard to say if that is just because it is mostly retail stores in that area... I assume crime clusters around malls and shopping centers to some extent. Seems like you could do worse but also better if safety is your primary concern.

Last edited by Yac; 05-13-2015 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-07-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
I cannot help you as my only contact with Peninsula Town Center is to occasionally shop there. Do you have any apartment complexes you are considering? Search for apartment reviews on particular projects. If crime is an issue, it is apt to show up in the reviews.
Thanks for your reply. While I'm not very familiar with the neighborhoods, one map seems to suggest I would be by the intersection of Mercury Central (Peninsula Town Center), Aberdeen, and Northampton. I would be west of I64 and north of Mercury blvd.

Most of the reviews are very good for this complex, however there seems to be one or two reviews that say something about gunshots in the area? I'm not sure how true or reliable this is, which is why I'm seeking advice of people who actually know the area.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:32 AM

1,813 posts, read 4,195,547 times
Just watching the news, I would not question the veracity of someone who complains about hearing gunshots in the area.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:02 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,392,782 times
Quote:
Hey guys, new to the forum here.

I will be relocating to the Hampton Virginia area for the summer due to work, and want to know how safe the area around the Peninsula Town Center, where I have found an apartment, is. I have heard mixed reviews and would like to know if I should feel comfortable staying in this area or if I should look for a new place to live.

Thanks
I actually know someone that lives out that way. She doesn't have any problems. Might depend on which apartment complex you're thinking about moving into.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:25 PM

4,839 posts, read 4,124,068 times
I lived in that general area for close to 20 years. Peninsula Town Center used to be the Coliseum Mall and it had a nasty reputation, although I never felt threatened or unsafe.

With the newer "upscale" apartments at PTC, I think the area has probably increased it's "face" value and helped with some of the trouble.

I loved living in Hampton and I think you'll do fine. Be aware of yourself and your surroundings - just like you would pretty much anywhere else.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 41,537,277 times
Quote:
I grew up closeby on Todds Lane in an apartment complex. Not a great area by any stretch of the imagination but not dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area