Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:32 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

We are from New England but want to live near my sister who lives in VA Beach and works in Chesapeake.

We've been to VA Beach a lot over the years and didn't like the congested, suburban sprawl and the wide highways and traffic. Also, the junk food chains. This past January we got into Chesapeake a little bit but didn't see too much of it. Is it as bad as VA Beach?

Are there more non chain places to eat? Are there regular roads or are they all highways (well, to me they are highways--four lanes and exits with strip malls everywhere.)

We don't care for "sophisticated" city style, just low key simple lifestyle. We are used to more rural living but I think we could get used to a bit more of an urban style especially if there are more amenties.

What we are interested in: history (loved the Yorktown Battlefield and would live around Williamsburg if we could afford it), natural foods, museums (love the Chrysler in Norfolk), libraries, peace and quiet.

But we have never been further into Chesapeake than Great Bridge (which seemed nice except for the wide roads with traffic when we are used to pretty country roads.) So if we had continued into Chesapeake beyond Great Bridge what is it like? And is it a huge congested city? Are there skyscrapers?
Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 12:35 PM

201 posts, read 291,404 times
I live in Chesapeake, so I'll chime in:

I could see it as a decent spot to retire or raise a family in. There is really not much going on in Chesapeake, and it requires a 30min drive to any of the more happening spots within hampton roads (Portsmouth, norfolk, Virginia Beach).

- The majority of food and shops are chain out here, albeit there are a few good non-chain spots, but only a few, and most are american-cuisine.

- It's mostly smaller roads getting around within Chesapeake, but the highway is right off of Greenbrier, which is probably the better area of Chesapeake.

- I would consider the majority of Chesapeake as suburb lifestyle, with the further reaches possibly being a bit more rural. No big city atmosphere if that's what you're looking for.

- There are no skyscrapers in Chesapeake (nearest would be Town Center Virginia Beach, or Portsmouth/Norfolk). There is traffic congestion during the rush hours, and with small roads, it can get a bit tedious at red lights.

All in all, if you're looking to stay inside, and not do much travelling to the beach, Chesapeake could be for you. There's not as much diversity out here, and it's really geared towards young families/retirees. Personally, I find the area extremely boring, with zero nightlife or culture of its own. Some enjoy that... it is very safe with a low crime rate from my experience living here... so there's that!

Old 06-18-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
I live in Chesapeake, so I'll chime in:

I could see it as a decent spot to retire or raise a family in. There is really not much going on in Chesapeake, and it requires a 30min drive to any of the more happening spots within hampton roads (Portsmouth, norfolk, Virginia Beach).

- The majority of food and shops are chain out here, albeit there are a few good non-chain spots, but only a few, and most are american-cuisine.

- It's mostly smaller roads getting around within Chesapeake, but the highway is right off of Greenbrier, which is probably the better area of Chesapeake.

- I would consider the majority of Chesapeake as suburb lifestyle, with the further reaches possibly being a bit more rural. No big city atmosphere if that's what you're looking for.

- There are no skyscrapers in Chesapeake (nearest would be Town Center Virginia Beach, or Portsmouth/Norfolk). There is traffic congestion during the rush hours, and with small roads, it can get a bit tedious at red lights.

All in all, if you're looking to stay inside, and not do much travelling to the beach, Chesapeake could be for you. There's not as much diversity out here, and it's really geared towards young families/retirees. Personally, I find the area extremely boring, with zero nightlife or culture of its own. Some enjoy that... it is very safe with a low crime rate from my experience living here... so there's that!
Thanks. We live at the beach here in New England so we are already kind of beached out. Take it or leave it. Boring is good at our age too. What we want are grocery stores and some simple places to eat. Nightlife doesn't matter.

Smaller roads=good. Suburban and rural=good. Safe and low crime=good. We are not looking for any sky scrapers or city stuff, we live in rural New England and like peace and quiet.

I went to Burrito Perdido when I was last there but didn't even know I was in Chesapeake. I liked that place for eating. I like ordinary American food too, although not chain "restaurants" so much.

It sounds better than Virginia Beach for people like us. Virginia Beach is just way too built up and crowded--and those highways all over the place. We're used to one lane each way!

Old 06-18-2015, 06:59 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
People who say that it's all chains here really, REALLY aren't looking. There are TONS of non-chain restaurants if you just make the effort to find them.

Hint: they're all in shopping centers and strip malls.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
People who say that it's all chains here really, REALLY aren't looking. There are TONS of non-chain restaurants if you just make the effort to find them.

Hint: they're all in shopping centers and strip malls.
That's good to know. I've gotten the idea from googling places to eat in Chesapeake that there are non chain places and some sound pretty good.

Now I just have to learn how to deal with the summer weather. And snakes. Maybe that's all covered under the category of Great Dismal Swamp? Sounds ominous.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:03 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
The majority is all chains, no matter what others try and tell you.

It sounds to me like you're best off up in the Williamsburg or Lightfoot areas (mostly the latter.)

Old 06-19-2015, 06:55 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
There were a couple more points made to me in the following thread. Chesapeake has a limited bus system, and it is mostly car dependant. There a few park areas for fishing and boating on the Elizabeth River. I liked that Chesapeake seems very safe and has decent shopping, medical resources and libraries.

Eagle Pointe at Cahoon Plantation

Old 06-19-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There were a couple more points made to me in the following thread. Chesapeake has a limited bus system, and it is mostly car dependant. There a few park areas for fishing and boating on the Elizabeth River. I liked that Chesapeake seems very safe and has decent shopping, medical resources and libraries.

Eagle Pointe at Cahoon Plantation
Thank you. I think I have seen your posts on some New England forums, Massachusetts maybe?

The library system is a big plus for Chesapeake. If I ever get so that I can't drive, my sister and two twenty something nieces live in VA Beach and there are other ways of getting to a grocery store, like senior van service, taxis, paying someone.

I guess I'm now wondering if there are any public parks where you can go for a walk or take your dog for a walk.

And hospitals, GOOD hospitals. They become very important as you get older. That and good doctors.

I know I'd be more at home in some place like Williamsburg but that's one reason I'm leaving a place I never thought I would leave at all--New England. It's just too expensive.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:00 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you. I think I have seen your posts on some New England forums, Massachusetts maybe?.......

I guess I'm now wondering if there are any public parks where you can go for a walk or take your dog for a walk.

And hospitals, GOOD hospitals. They become very important as you get older. That and good doctors.

I know I'd be more at home in some place like Williamsburg but that's one reason I'm leaving a place I never thought I would leave at all--New England. It's just too expensive.
I was born in Northampton Massachusetts, and I value the culture, education and history that are available in New England. I left Massachusetts in 1963, but go back to visit periodically. However, I understand wanting to leave the cold and the taxes.

I also am attracted to Williamsburg for its similarlity to what I value in New England. However, the Cahoun Plantation community caught my eye for its convenient location in Chesapeake. One might be able to live there without being able to drive.

Chesapeake has many public parks, but the dog parks require membeship. More information is here. Parks and Facilities

You might search the forum for info on the hospital, or check the Medicare site.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:24 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
We are from New England but want to live near my sister who lives in VA Beach and works in Chesapeake.

We've been to VA Beach a lot over the years and didn't like the congested, suburban sprawl and the wide highways and traffic. Also, the junk food chains. This past January we got into Chesapeake a little bit but didn't see too much of it. Is it as bad as VA Beach?

Are there more non chain places to eat? Are there regular roads or are they all highways (well, to me they are highways--four lanes and exits with strip malls everywhere.)

We don't care for "sophisticated" city style, just low key simple lifestyle. We are used to more rural living but I think we could get used to a bit more of an urban style especially if there are more amenties.

What we are interested in: history (loved the Yorktown Battlefield and would live around Williamsburg if we could afford it), natural foods, museums (love the Chrysler in Norfolk), libraries, peace and quiet.

But we have never been further into Chesapeake than Great Bridge (which seemed nice except for the wide roads with traffic when we are used to pretty country roads.) So if we had continued into Chesapeake beyond Great Bridge what is it like? And is it a huge congested city? Are there skyscrapers?
Thanks for any help.

Dear fellow retiree,
With due respect. You keep coming back badmouthing VB. We get it now. It's okay you don't have to live in VB.
Ya know, like they say sometimes "you can't have your cake and eat it too" Sounds like if you want to be near your sister you will have to get used to the terrible sprawl, 4 lane highways, the awful strip malls and chain restaurants.
Also It's not exactly cheap to live around here. Public transportation is not good.To retire here comfortably you will need some $$$.
We retired from Northern Virginia to VB last year and love it here. Even get the junk food every once in a while.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area