Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:48 AM

19 posts, read 27,060 times

Advertisements

I am a 29-year old African American female and I am considering accepting a position in Williamsburg, VA for a few months. I currently live in the DMV area and I already know it won't be the same. I was just wondering what the Williamsburg area is like as far as things to do and demographics and socializing. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 AM

13,366 posts, read 27,000,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT4eva View Post
I am a 29-year old African American female and I am considering accepting a position in Williamsburg, VA for a few months. I currently live in the DMV area and I already know it won't be the same. I was just wondering what the Williamsburg area is like as far as things to do and demographics and socializing. Any thoughts?
I was there as a tourist recently, and tried to chat with locals at the hotel bar. The housing is probably too expensive for the working class locals, but it is a very safe small town.

The population figures are not overwhelmingly white: about 71% white and 14% black. Colonial Williamsburg makes a good effort to hire black people. The interpreters who portray blacks are shown in a positive light.

As for things to do, there are numerous good restaurants, and some place have live music. Busch Gardens is good for entertainment, and the beaches are closer than they are to DC. In short, life would not be too bad if you lived in or near Williamsburg. It is probably too far to commute from the more urban areas in Hampton Roads.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:48 PM

27 posts, read 36,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I was there as a tourist recently, and tried to chat with locals at the hotel bar. The housing is probably too expensive for the working class locals, but it is a very safe small town.

The population figures are not overwhelmingly white: about 71% white and 14% black. Colonial Williamsburg makes a good effort to hire black people. The interpreters who portray blacks are shown in a positive light.

As for things to do, there are numerous good restaurants, and some place have live music. Busch Gardens is good for entertainment, and the beaches are closer than they are to DC. In short, life would not be too bad if you lived in or near Williamsburg. It is probably too far to commute from the more urban areas in Hampton Roads.
Ummmm...."blacks"? I take offense to your connotation and I am not African American. Unbelievable.

OT4eva I apologize for the manner in which you were responded to, and I can't believe that I have to even say these things.

Williamsburg is a typical suburban area with malls, a theme park, chain restaurants, and community living. Technically it will harbor less tourists than the other HR municipalities. It is a bit far (in my opinion) to travel daily to get to the tourist beaches of VB. But relative to the area, everything is within a short drive.

The nice thing about Williamsburg is that it is away from the business of VB. It is also within reach to Norfolk, VB, Hampton, NN, and the rest of the 7 cities.

A little more information may be helpful...what are you lookking for in a city and in a community? Socializing shouldn't be a problem regardless of where you are in this area...

Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bus Bum View Post
Ummmm...."blacks"? I take offense to your connotation and I am not African American. Unbelievable.
Would you prefer that I used "Euro-Americans" instead of "whites"?

FWIW, I do use the term African American, but when I am in a hurry I use the shortcut terms. I don't see a problem with using shortcut names, and I use them in parallel positions.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 PM

19 posts, read 27,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bus Bum View Post

OT4eva I apologize for the manner in which you were responded to, and I can't believe that I have to even say these things.

Williamsburg is a typical suburban area with malls, a theme park, chain restaurants, and community living. Technically it will harbor less tourists than the other HR municipalities. It is a bit far (in my opinion) to travel daily to get to the tourist beaches of VB. But relative to the area, everything is within a short drive.

The nice thing about Williamsburg is that it is away from the business of VB. It is also within reach to Norfolk, VB, Hampton, NN, and the rest of the 7 cities.

A little more information may be helpful...what are you lookking for in a city and in a community? Socializing shouldn't be a problem regardless of where you are in this area...

Thanks for your response. I currently live in a city where there is a lot to do and everything is near by. I guess I am essentially looking for a location that may be close to bars, movies, restaurants, shopping and events so I don't feel like it's hard to meet people and I don't want to be stuck sitting at home doing nothing because there just isn't anything to do. I also want to feel comfortable and not feel like the environment is too uptight.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:47 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,217,343 times
I realize this is off the OP's question, but what is wrong with "black"? Is it politically incorrect? WHY? I see "white" on forms instead of "Caucasian" and as Goldenage1 indicates the corresponding term for many whites would be something like "Irish American" or "Polish American" etc. White folk did not originate in North America either. Given the use of another term by both "African American" rap artists and racists, "black" is hardly worth getting upset about from my perspective.

I find it unreasonable that one poster would call out another poster on this forum for using the term "black."

“I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism” P. D. James - speaking to the Paris Review in 1995

Old 07-02-2015, 04:28 AM

998 posts, read 1,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OT4eva View Post
Thanks for your response. I currently live in a city where there is a lot to do and everything is near by. I guess I am essentially looking for a location that may be close to bars, movies, restaurants, shopping and events so I don't feel like it's hard to meet people and I don't want to be stuck sitting at home doing nothing because there just isn't anything to do. I also want to feel comfortable and not feel like the environment is too uptight.
Check out The New Town development right over the border from Williamsburg in James City County. Shops, restaurants/bars, movies, bookstores, professional offices, single family homes/apartments/condos/townhomes and medical facilities. It's about ten years old but as time goes by has taken on a much more organic look as it matures. It very much resembles a small town that has been there for years, the design and aesthetics are top notch.
I work in the area and there are retirees, young families, corporate types, students, empty nesters and a sizable international population.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Check out The New Town development right over the border from Williamsburg in James City County. Shops, restaurants/bars, movies, bookstores, professional offices, single family homes/apartments/condos/townhomes and medical facilities. It's about ten years old but as time goes by has taken on a much more organic look as it matures. It very much resembles a small town that has been there for years, the design and aesthetics are top notch.
I work in the area and there are retirees, young families, corporate types, students, empty nesters and a sizable international population.
Thanks. That sounds like what the OP was looking for. If she needs a more urban experience, Richmond is an hour away, and Norfolk is also about a hour away.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-02-2015 at 06:11 AM..

Old 07-02-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
I realize this is off the OP's question, but what is wrong with "black"? Is it politically incorrect?
Well, in the context of my remarks about Colonial Williamsburg, it sounded a bit patronizing. If the OP was offended, I apologize to her.

I just realized that the OP was discussing only a few months in Williamsburg. I think she will find sufficient things to do. If she gets a day off in cooler weather (and the crowds have gone), she might enjoy touring Colonial Williamsburg.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:44 PM

27 posts, read 36,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
I realize this is off the OP's question, but what is wrong with "black"? Is it politically incorrect? WHY? I see "white" on forms instead of "Caucasian" and as Goldenage1 indicates the corresponding term for many whites would be something like "Irish American" or "Polish American" etc. White folk did not originate in North America either. Given the use of another term by both "African American" rap artists and racists, "black" is hardly worth getting upset about from my perspective.

I find it unreasonable that one poster would call out another poster on this forum for using the term "black."

“I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism” P. D. James - speaking to the Paris Review in 1995
FYI...and I'm sure this is only a refresher...those who went to war against fascism did so as segregated armies, rife with racism, prejudice and ignorance. So............??????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area