Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 11,730 times

Advertisements

I'm a young individual relocating to the Virginia area. I see some decent apartments of what I can afford in the Newport, News area. They were spacious considering to other apartments in other cities there for the amount they asking for.

I want to know if the area is safe? Can I raise my family there without worrying about gang bangers
What's the school system and childcare like there? How far is the beach from Newport News?
How is traffic there compared to where i'm moving from (Atlanta, GA)

Please no negative comments on regards of what I can afford
I think Virginia is beautiful! and looking at Newport News cause half of the apartments are $800-1000 for a two bedroom and with in my budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 02:38 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,573 times
You would have to list the addresses of the apartments to know if the area is safe. There are safe areas of NN, very unsafe & dangerous areas and many variations in between the two.

I have a student in high school in Newport News. I would give the school system a C minus. On the peninsula, the schools are better in York County.

I have never lived in Atlanta so I cannot compare the traffic. The traffic issues here are one of the major reasons I want to leave. The draw bridges & bridge tunnel complexes add to the issues. Any little accident and there is an immediate backup. There are times when one of the tunnels is closed going one way or the other over an accident. Traffic is much worse during beach season, which lasts far longer than "summer."

When you say beach, do you mean Virginia Beach? The Outer Banks of NC? One of the local beaches on the peninsula such as Buckroe Beach in Hampton?

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:50 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,060 times
Here's a serious question. Why are you considering moving to Newport News in particular? Like... Newport News has some cool and nice parts, but I don't know anyone who'd live there voluntarily.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:24 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,573 times
Amen to what Pyroninja42 posted! If you want to be in Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach or Chesapeake would be better options assuming you can get a job there. The cool and nice parts of NN, don't justify putting up with the not so cool and not so nice parts of NN in my opinion.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:53 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlynelson View Post
I'm a young individual relocating to the Virginia area. I see some decent apartments of what I can afford in the Newport, News area. They were spacious considering to other apartments in other cities there for the amount they asking for.

I want to know if the area is safe? Can I raise my family there without worrying about gang bangers
What's the school system and childcare like there? How far is the beach from Newport News?

I think Virginia is beautiful! and looking at Newport News cause half of the apartments are $800-1000 for a two bedroom and with in my budget.
You get more for your money, and it's cheap, for a very good reason.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:05 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,637 times
Chesapeake has to be the worst place in Tidewater to live.

Newport News is OK. It has pretty much all of the amenities necessary to live a happy and productive life. It has some very nice parks, decent (and improving quickly) retail. Depending on your background, there can be some really good job opportunities there. It is on the right side of the bridge and tunnel, in that traffic wont be much of an issue at all and it allows for much easier access to I85, Richmond and all points north (DC, Philly, NYC).

The cultural amenities are in Norfolk (a beautiful city) though.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:

You can get a two bedroom for $800 - $1000 anywhere in this region. The problem is if you even want to stay in a place that cheap in this region. Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, which can get you in a safer neighborhood for less money, might be your better option. Norfolk is a mixed bag. All of the cities have expensive areas that run a lot higher than what you can afford but you don't have to live in those areas. $800 a month is a race to the bottom here. When I first moved here I was seeing listings for $550, or $600, in Newport News. But you probably don't want to live in those areas.

If you want to live in Newport News, for that amount of money steer clear of Downtown and move out further towards Williamsburg, or closer to the mall. Just my observations. It is improving but unless you have that pioneering spirit and feel like doing the whole gentrification thing stick with more established neighborhoods that the poor haven't been pushed out into. Newport News, closer to the HRBT or Monitor Merrimack is at your own risk.

Last edited by goofy328; 08-08-2015 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 02:53 PM

3,726 posts, read 2,549,891 times
Quote:
I think Virginia is beautiful! and looking at Newport News..
Kimberly, Agreed, the Commonwealth of Virginia's a beautiful place.. but Newport News doesn't contribute much to that beauty (my opinion).
Do your research on the schools in Bad News.. Evaluating schools is subjective, but typically Va Beach & Chesapeake have the best public schools in Hampton Roads.

The area around Christopher Newport (Hidenwood) seems pretty nice, with amenities close by, but it looks like mostly houses when I've driven thru there (as opposed to apartment complexes). Some one else could probably more accurately address Hidenwood. And I agree with an earlier poster, I've never known anyone who moved to Bad News out of choice, as opposed to a work obligation/military order.
take care, peace.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Kimberly, Agreed, the Commonwealth of Virginia's a beautiful place.. but Newport News doesn't contribute much to that beauty (my opinion).
Do your research on the schools in Bad News.. Evaluating schools is subjective, but typically Va Beach & Chesapeake have the best public schools in Hampton Roads.

The area around Christopher Newport (Hidenwood) seems pretty nice, but it looks like mostly houses when I've driven thru there (as opposed to apartment complexes). Some one else could probably more accurately address Hidenwood. And I agree with an earlier poster, I've never known anyone who moved to Bad News out of choice, as opposed to a work obligation/military order.
take care, peace.
I think the OP feels as though they only place they can afford is Newport News. Not realizing that the Peninsula and the Southside are two very different places and that they have other options. If it comes to affordability, Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are great options, particularly when it comes to schools.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:27 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,318,831 times
I personally like Newport News much more than Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. Does it have bad areas? Yes. Unless you're going to live in the bad area, why worry about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area