Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 11,658 times

Advertisements

How far is that from Newport News?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 08:10 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,536,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlynelson View Post
How far is that from Newport News?
Richmond is about an hour and twenty minutes from Newport News. While that may not sound terrible, the thing is that the interstate connecting Richmond and Newport News (I-64) is heavily congested, as it's the only interstate going to the second largest metro in VA and there's a lot of cross-commuting between HR and RVA. Northern VA is about 2 1/2-3 hours from Newport News.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,400,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlynelson View Post
I'm relocating there and would like to know whats the job market like there?

I'm currently employed in Georgia but my job doesn't have anything transferrable there, so I would like to know if its pretty easy to land a job in the area?
I'm not sure if it ever has been. I know that Georgia isn't as good as it used to be but prices are lower there than they are here. Depending on your needs.

Northern Virginia is a better bet. Cost of living is higher but the pay is better. The cities are a lot smaller. Now, if you want something laid back without a lot of the drama of the rat race this place may be ideal for you. If you need an urban jungle Northern Virginia, or DC, may be a better fit. Hampton Roads is good if you are already established, you own, rather than rent, and you can afford to do what it has to offer in the middle of the day, as many of the retirees do. But if you're looking for night life or other amenities and have to live hand to mouth to afford them this may not be the place for you. This place is extremely decentralized. Even more so than Georgia. There are downtown areas but that is not where the action is at. Chances are you'll live in one city and work in another. And there will be traffic. The decentralization, and traffic, is one of the major annoyances I have with living in Virginia. And that is no matter where you live at in this state. If you're accustomed to that old, spoke and hub model this isn't the place for you. Most people cannot afford to live where they work without some compromises. Other people could live there, but the area where they work isn't that great. Sometimes those compromises are worth it and sometimes they aren't. We can talk about it, but you won't get a sense for it until you already live here, because everyone's situation is unique as there is no one employer or one situation that is common to life here.

Last edited by goofy328; 08-16-2015 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,718,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Typically most Hampton Roads born and raised kids who go to college hightail it to Northern VA or Richmond for decent work.
There are a few of us holdouts. ;-)

Old 08-17-2015, 10:54 AM

419 posts, read 897,806 times
I live in Richmond and commute to Newport News at least three days a week. It takes me 1.25 hrs on a good day and 1.5 hours on a bad day. I have found it pretty easy to drive, the commute from Richmond to Hampton Roads looks worse, especially the afternoon eastbound route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area