Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:24 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,218 times

Advertisements

Check out Port Warwick in Newport News, Nelsons Grant in Yorktown, New Town and High Street in Williamsburg.
The Peninsula is a delightful place to live and work, surrounded by history and water.
Come, visit, and drink it all in.
The Coconut person is stunningly negative and condescending on all things Hampton Roads. Do yourself a favor and ignore it.

The VA Beach/Hampton Roads area is one of the most unique urban areas in the country. It's basically seven cities and suburban counties that have grown together over the years into a vibrant waterfront metropolitan area. There are people from all over the country who came here with the military,, job transfers, or like me, came for a visit and fell in love.
The mountains are two hours away, DC up the road and beaches everywhere

Last edited by Poquoson7; 09-10-2015 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 05:49 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,573 times
This area is not for everyone. Poquoson7 and others think the place is wonderful. But Cocconut1 is not alone. I've been in Newport News for over 3 years and look forward to leaving this area. People who visit to check out this region and dare post negative reviews are called trolls and are accused of never having even visited.

Traffic in the whole area is bad. The powers that be are adding lanes to I64 between Newport News and Williamsburg. This undoubtedly will cause issues.

For me, it's the traffic, the weather, the crime and in Newport News a mediocre school system that make NN undesirable as far as what I want in an area goes. The job market sucks here unless you have the skill sets that a DOD contractor needs.

There are lovely, hip, trendy areas in NN to live, but they have hip, trendy prices. There are also safe areas that are much more reasonably priced.

I highly recommend you visit and drive during rush hour when you do. Good luck whatever you do.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:12 AM

It pretty much boils down to what you like.
If laid back, beachy, water oriented suburban living with a DIVERSE economy and population , "downtown" areas in the older cities and a promising aerospace/technology future then this metro will probably check your boxes.
If you want a small town, uncomplicated, mountain home life with never any traffic then it will probably not check your boxes.
I am a SoCal native who came here because it checked my boxes and reminded me of home. I became a booster of this place easily.

To each their own....

Do come for a visit.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 09-10-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 AM

8 posts, read 6,460 times
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Really appreciated!! Good schools are definitely something that we're looking for, otherwise a good private school (I don't know if there's a Montessori?). Not looking to do yard work anymore so finding a nice townhome in a cute neighborhood is VERY important. I still haven't got any feedback about townhomes in the area? They're building some really beautiful ones here in Indy. I wonder if something similar exists in HR?

Old 09-10-2015, 12:34 PM

Old 09-10-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
oops.
Port Warwick in Newport News has townhomes, sfh, condos and apartments with shops, offices and restaurants.
New Town in Williamsburg is the same but much larger.
High Street in Willamsburg is near William and Mary and has the same but also smaller than New Town
Nelsons Grant in Yorktown is still under construction and includes the same set up and is close to the village and beach.
All of the developments have websites.

There are numerous townhome developments all over the Peninsula without the new urbanist stuff like the ones above.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:23 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
Traffic in the whole area is bad. The powers that be are adding lanes to I64 between Newport News and Williamsburg. This undoubtedly will cause issues.
Traffic was a LOT worse the year I lived in NO VA.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:40 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Traffic was a LOT worse the year I lived in NO VA.
You are correct. I drove/commuted to work in NOVA and DC area for over 40 years. I've been in this rush hour tunnel traffic I keep hearing about in HR. Its not fun but does not come close to the brutal traffic in NOVA. This is nothing. Be thankful. Driving to and from work, I got to know every inch of I-270,Cabin John Bridge and Capital Beltway between Rockville, MD and Tysons Corner VA. Four lanes in each direction packed for miles every day! And if it snowed or Iced up - OMG

Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
oops.
Port Warwick in Newport News has townhomes, sfh, condos and apartments with shops, offices and restaurants.
New Town in Williamsburg is the same but much larger.
High Street in Willamsburg is near William and Mary and has the same but also smaller than New Town
Nelsons Grant in Yorktown is still under construction and includes the same set up and is close to the village and beach.
All of the developments have websites.

There are numerous townhome developments all over the Peninsula without the new urbanist stuff like the ones above.
Thanks for the information!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:21 PM

Randomelikeme and lovnova, it's true that traffic in NOVA and DC is not so good especially in the beltway and 395!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area