Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2015, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,305 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

My husband and I are moving to the area mid-December and was wondering if anyone knows any military friendly areas or some nice trendy areas we can look for a place in (I've heard of Port Warwick?) Super new to the state in general, and just looking for any advice.

We are looking for a simple 1-2 Bedroom and have 2 little dogs. We also have our own washer and dryer.

Thank you guys for any help on areas or websites you can refer us too, I've already done the basic Google searches and Craigslist skim!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 09:10 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,613,938 times
Port Warwick is a little pricey but has nice looking homes and some restaurants. Other than that...

Oyster Point City Center

City Center at Oyster Point in Newport News, Virginia

Hilton Village

Historic Hilton Village Business Directory - News, Events, Rare Photos

There are also various neighborhoods around CNU and Mariners Museum that are nice. I don't know them specifically but the area in general seems to be good with the Noland Trail, Mariners Museum, Peninsula Fine Arts center etc...

That's about as much help as I can be regarding NN.

Just don't go south of Mercury is what all of my coworkers from NN tell me. Gets a little sketchy down there apparently.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:06 AM

998 posts, read 1,243,148 times
The midtown area of Newport News is indeed a nice area. It includes Port Warwick, CNU, The Mariners Museum, The Peninsula Fine Arts Center, Riverside Medical Complex, The Ferguson Center for the Arts, City Center at Oyster Point and the new Tech Center next to Jefferson Lab.
They have broken ground on luxury apartments at Tech Center which will be within walking distance of Whole Foods, PF Changs and at least 40 new restaurants and shops.
Hidenwood and Riverside are additional neighborhoods in midtown between Warwick Blvd. and the James River. Most of the housing stock was built between the 50's and 70's and have the character of those eras. The neighborhoods are very well maintained and mature trees line the streets.
All in all, midtown NN is a really inviting area and is getting better all the time.
Best to stay away from the East End (south) and Denbigh (north) areas.
Welcome to Southeastern Virginia and the Peninsula in particular.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 10-29-2015 at 04:17 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,305 times
Thank you! This is definitely going to help when we visit next weekend!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: