Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 03:15 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times

Advertisements

I'd number it I-56. Also, instead of having it end at I-64 in Chesapeake, why not just have I-56 continue past I-64 by redesignating I-464 as I-56 and have it end at I-264? Although it would require a rebuild of the I-64, I-464, VA-168, US-17 interchange and I'm not quite sure how feasable that would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Long overdue. Since we'll never have a true corridor to Northern Virginia, you know like Richmond has to DC, then Southeastern Virginia should create a proper corridor to North Carolina. Like NYC has with NJ. We need a train as well. Virginia needs something like the PATH, but they'll never do it.

Norfolk has Amtrak to Richmond, and that's about as good as it is going to get around here. If Richmond does not want a proper connection with Norfolk then we should look into creating connections with metropolitan areas that do want our money.
Pretty much. I remember when the transportation bill was first announced and made the news in the Virginian Pilot paper, I was reading the comments and people seem to have the impression that NC cares more about Hampton Roads than their own state, especially considering that the bill likely would have never been introduced in Congress if it wasn't for NC.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:24 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,860 times
I love how the area's desperately needed a third crossing across the harbor as soon as the M&M was finished, and just last year they finally got around to getting everything ready for a third bridge... with a three-year long environmental impact study. *rolls eyes*

Old 11-07-2015, 04:36 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,321,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Pretty much. I remember when the transportation bill was first announced and made the news in the Virginian Pilot paper, I was reading the comments and people seem to have the impression that NC cares more about Hampton Roads than their own state, especially considering that the bill likely would have never been introduced in Congress if it wasn't for NC.
This isn't about caring about Hampton Roads. North Carolina stands to gain jobs from this, and I'm guessing another route to tap into the port.

I'm sure there are other motives as to why they want this, too. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
This isn't about caring about Hampton Roads. North Carolina stands to gain jobs from this, and I'm guessing another route to tap into the port.

I'm sure there are other motives as to why they want this, too. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
A direct corridor to another city increases Raleigh's attractiveness as a city.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:20 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,469 times
This seems so logical and great for both cities. It will make my trips back home to Richmond from Newport News easier too. I'd love to divert southbound traffic away from Richmond.

Great news for the port too. The gridlock is really starting to hamper the port which is bad news for the entire state.

The state defiantly cares about Tidewater. Highway routes are always so political though. I guess it takes someone out of state to get around the General Assembly and the special interests they work for.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:14 PM

97 posts, read 188,893 times
If this is ever constructed, it is an enormous shot in the arm for both areas in terms of economic development.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAbornandbred View Post
If this is ever constructed, it is an enormous shot in the arm for both areas in terms of economic development.
No kidding. Having only one interstate in and out of Tidewater definitely makes it feel isolated. This will make it feel infinitely more connected.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:02 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
They're already working in Hampton Roads so what difference does it make. People will say anything. Hampton Roads is the major metropolitan area for that side of NC, and a lot closer than Charlotte, or Raleigh, so why wouldn't they want to take advantage of that.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:11 PM

NCDOT has sent their application to AASHTO to designate US-64 and US-17 from I-440 in Raleigh to the VA state line as future I-89 for the Raleigh-Norfolk corridor. I wonder if VDOT is on board with the I-89 designation being used...unless NCDOT applied for the number without consulting VDOT regarding what number to use. It won't let me directly link PDF documents here, but it can be found on AASHTO's website in the following link. The PDF is titled "Agenda and List of Applications SM-2016.pdf". It's only 8 pages long. I-89 is mentioned on page 6.

AASHTO - Special Committee on U.S. Route Numbering - Committee Notices, Actions, and Approvals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area