Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 08:52 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Whatever the outcome I just hope it has minimal impact on the rural lands in eastern nc.
It shouldn't have much impact. I-87 involves mostly upgrading existing highways, US-64 from I-40 in Raleigh to US-17 in Williamston, and US-17 from Williamston to the I-64/I-464 interchange in Chesapeake, though it's possible that I-87 could continue up I-464.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 05:25 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,404,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
It shouldn't have much impact. I-87 involves mostly upgrading existing highways, US-64 from I-40 in Raleigh to US-17 in Williamston, and US-17 from Williamston to the I-64/I-464 interchange in Chesapeake, though it's possible that I-87 could continue up I-464.
So what happens to i495? I live in Zebulon NC, there are signs that have been up saying future 495 for a while. Will those change to I-87 now?

Old 08-08-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
So what happens to i495? I live in Zebulon NC, there are signs that have been up saying future 495 for a while. Will those change to I-87 now?
I-495 will be gone eventually. NCDOT will have to send an application to AASHTO and the FHWA to have I-495/Future I-495 decommissioned first before they can put up I-87/Future I-87 signs between I-40 in Raleigh and I-95 in Rocky Mount. However, NCDOT will soon be putting up "Future I-87" signs on US-64 between I-95 and Williamston and US-17 from Williamston to the VA state line. AASHTO's next meeting is in October, I believe, so they may do it then.

However, there are no plans to put up "Future I-87" signs on US-17 in VA. VDOT never bothered to request "Future I-87" for US-17 in VA and I doubt they ever will. I would be legit shocked if they do. Other than Hampton Roads, there is no love for I-87 from the state leaders in Richmond. There has been no statement from VDOT or Gov. Terry McAuliffe regarding I-87 since the announcement of it's approval back in May.

As long as NoVA is happy, that's all that counts.
/s

Last edited by LM117; 08-08-2016 at 07:31 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 08:29 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,935 times
I thought progress on this was still ongoing? has it stalled?

Old 08-09-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I thought progress on this was still ongoing? has it stalled?
It's ongoing in NC, but I doubt it will ever be built in VA. The transportation bill passed by Congress that designated the Raleigh-Norfolk interstate only had the support of 4 out of 11 VA Congressmen to begin with, while all of NC's supported it. Hampton Roads definitely wants I-87 built, but the region, much like other areas of VA that isn't part of NoVA, tends to get screwed when it comes to transportation projects.

If you've noticed, it didn't take long for NCDOT and Gov. McCrory to announce I-87's approval by AASHTO. On the other hand, VDOT and Gov. McAuliffe never mentioned a peep, despite the fact that I-87 will connect the state's largest (one of the biggest on the East Coast) money-making port in Norfolk to the future CSX Carolina Connector hub that will be built in Rocky Mount and to I-95 and points south, along with connecting the region to one of the fastest growing metros in the US, the Triangle, in NC.

NC is definitely ahead of VA when it comes to highway transportation. Hampton Roads wouldn't even be on a future interstate corridor if it wasn't for NC.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:52 AM

867 posts, read 1,396,933 times
Listen...Hampton Roads has the ear of the Secretary of Transportation AND the Gov. amongst others...we can get what we want if we want it. What you Carolina lovin NoVA hatin folks don't seem to realize is that this project is more of a priority and benefit for Raleigh and NC than it is us. This is not new, it has already been discussed for the past two years...and barely got ok'd in NC...so why act like its a pressing hot topic/priority for us and Virginia. It is in NCs best interest to move expediently since they have much ground to cover.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Listen...Hampton Roads has the ear of the Secretary of Transportation AND the Gov. amongst others...we can get what we want if we want it. What you Carolina lovin NoVA hatin folks don't seem to realize is that this project is more of a priority and benefit for Raleigh and NC than it is us. This is not new, it has already been discussed for the past two years...and barely got ok'd in NC...so why act like its a pressing hot topic/priority for us and Virginia. It is in NCs best interest to move expediently since they have much ground to cover.
I never said it was #1 priority in HR or the rest of VA. You're right that it benefits NC more than it does VA, but I would think that the idea of Hampton Roads no longer being a cul-de-sac would be attractive for the region, in particular the Port of Virginia, especially since CSX will be building a massive cargo terminal in Rocky Mount, which should be operational by 2020. It could lead to significant economic development for both states.

While I-95/US-58 may be shorter, US-58 is more congested. US-17/US-64 is a lot less congested (except near Raleigh) and would provide a high-speed, free-flowing route, which is something US-58 isn't, not to mention US-58 is a well-known speed trap for the local revenue generators. Parts of US-17 in NC is 70mph and the entire length of the US-64 freeway between I-440 in Raleigh and US-17 in Williamston is 70mph. US-17 would take quite a bit of work to upgrade it to interstate standards, but the only work US-64 needs in order for it to meet interstate standards is widening the outside shoulders and US-64 between I-440 in Raleigh and the Rolesville Road exit just east of Knightdale is already interstate standard.

As for you saying that Hampton Roads has the ear of state transportation officials...yeah, I'm not quite buying that and I doubt several others would too.

By the way, I-87 never "barely got ok'd in NC". There is a LOT of support for it, both at the state and local levels and part of US-64 near Raleigh could be signed as I-87 as early as the first part of next year.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,695 times
There may be some thinking in Virginia that a new road that connects Norfolk to the south (to the Triangle) will send money and resources flowing in that direction. In a state where much of the economic activity occurs in the I-64/I-95 loop from Hampton Roads to Richmond to NoVa, a new route through the swampy wilderness to NC is not going to gain an equal amount of enthusiasm. Potentially more dubious, it's not quite clear the powers that be actually want a serious competitor to the powerful I-95 corridor. And I-95 is oodles more important to VA than it is to NC, whether chock full of congestion or not. It's unfortunate, but there are times when VA loves the status quo.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:08 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,935 times
Man, CSX gonna go insane if this does not happen! Transport costs gonna go through the roof. This may actually force CSX to relocate to VA.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
There may be some thinking in Virginia that a new road that connects Norfolk to the south (to the Triangle) will send money and resources flowing in that direction. In a state where much of the economic activity occurs in the I-64/I-95 loop from Hampton Roads to Richmond to NoVa, a new route through the swampy wilderness to NC is not going to gain an equal amount of enthusiasm. Potentially more dubious, it's not quite clear the powers that be actually want a serious competitor to the powerful I-95 corridor. And I-95 is oodles more important to VA than it is to NC, whether chock full of congestion or not. It's unfortunate, but there are times when VA loves the status quo.
That sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area