Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:30 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
That sounds about right.
How will I95 benefit VA more than NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:36 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Man, CSX gonna go insane if this does not happen! Transport costs gonna go through the roof. This may actually force CSX to relocate to VA.
CSX isn't relocating to VA. In fact, the Rocky Mount location wasn't their originally planned site. They first wanted to locate near Selma, off of I-95 and near US-70, which will become I-42 from I-40 near Raleigh to the Port of Morehead City. The residents of Johnston County, where Selma is located, protested like hell against the hub being built there since they didn't want their farmland destroyed. They won and Rocky Mount lured CSX there, which happens to be a much better location, given it's spot of being at a major crossroads and easier access to the Port of Virgina. The Port of Morehead City is a fishing dock by comparison.

Here's more on the backstory if you're interested:

Local officials craft deal to bring CSX rail hub to area - Rocky Mount Telegram

I-87 will definitely be finished in NC one day and will at least go to the NC/VA state line. Whether it reaches Norfolk will be up to VA. I don't there will be an issue with CSX.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:47 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,369 times
Quote:
CSX isn't relocating to VA. In fact, the Rocky Mount location wasn't their originally planned site. They first wanted to locate near Selma, off of I-95 and near US-70, which will become I-42 from I-40 near Raleigh to the Port of Morehead City. The residents of Johnston County, where Selma is located, protested like hell against the hub being built there since they didn't want their farmland destroyed. They won and Rocky Mount lured CSX there, which happens to be a much better location, given it's spot of being at a major crossroads and easier access to the Port of Virgina. The Port of Morehead City is a fishing dock by comparison.

Here's more on the backstory if you're interested:

Local officials craft deal to bring CSX rail hub to area - Rocky Mount Telegram

I-87 will definitely be finished in NC one day and will at least go to the NC/VA state line. Whether it reaches Norfolk will be up to VA. I don't there will be an issue with CSX.
That's a interesting read. I am just curious to know how this will help hampton roads.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
How will I95 benefit VA more than NC?
I-95 doesn't run through any major economic hubs in NC (i.e. Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, etc..). Obviously the smaller cities along I-95 in NC benefit from it, like Rocky Mount, Wilson and Fayetteville, but that's mostly the extent of it. I-95 in VA, on the other hand, serves the state capital, Richmond and is the only North-South interstate connection to Northern VA. Despite what I may say about NoVA (it's politicians in particular), NoVA is definitely the economic powerhouse of VA.

In short, I-95 to VA is what I-40 (and to an extent, I-85) is to NC. Big difference.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:09 PM

Quote:
That's a interesting read. I am just curious to know how this will help hampton roads.
It will likely have a more direct economic impact in eastern NC than it would Hampton Roads, but warehouses and distribution centers usually try to set up near cargo hubs and/or ports, so it could mean more businesses coming to Hampton Roads and other areas along the future I-87 corridor. Plus, Norfolk has their huge port, and is roughly 3 hours away (driving distance) of a future cargo hub. I would imagine most companies would find a metro region with options like that attractive. It's a win-win for both states, IMO.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:03 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
This might be an attempt by NC to try to bring Hampton Roads, VA's only major "border" metro with NC, into its orbit.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:09 PM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
Quote:
I never said it was #1 priority in HR or the rest of VA. You're right that it benefits NC more than it does VA, but I would think that the idea of Hampton Roads no longer being a cul-de-sac would be attractive for the region, in particular the Port of Virginia, especially since CSX will be building a massive cargo terminal in Rocky Mount, which should be operational by 2020. It could lead to significant economic development for both states.

While I-95/US-58 may be shorter, US-58 is more congested. US-17/US-64 is a lot less congested (except near Raleigh) and would provide a high-speed, free-flowing route, which is something US-58 isn't, not to mention US-58 is a well-known speed trap for the local revenue generators. Parts of US-17 in NC is 70mph and the entire length of the US-64 freeway between I-440 in Raleigh and US-17 in Williamston is 70mph. US-17 would take quite a bit of work to upgrade it to interstate standards, but the only work US-64 needs in order for it to meet interstate standards is widening the outside shoulders and US-64 between I-440 in Raleigh and the Rolesville Road exit just east of Knightdale is already interstate standard.

As for you saying that Hampton Roads has the ear of state transportation officials...yeah, I'm not quite buying that and I doubt several others would too.

By the way, I-87 never "barely got ok'd in NC". There is a LOT of support for it, both at the state and local levels and part of US-64 near Raleigh could be signed as I-87 as early as the first part of next year.
I never said that you said it was "priority #1" ...I said it is "not MORE of a priority" to us than it is to NC. I know you have a love of NC and all...based on the focus of conversation youre having it should be clear that this is more important to NC than us. The whole "cul de sac" label is really overblown to be honest. Private investors arent spending 1 billion dollars on CBBT for nothing...if you want to get somewhere from here, you can...with relative ease.

You and several others don't have to buy the fact that we have the ear of the Secretary of Transportation...to me that just shows how little people from other parts of the state know about what goes on here. I know it doesnt fit some of yalls "NoVA vs everyone else" narrative but... Aubrey Lane was sought after specifically to have our transportation issues to be placed at the forefront of conversation...especially after Mc Donnells gross incompetence. We don't go around whining about NoVA...the man (Lane) has been here hundreds of times and basically has to beg and threaten VAB to take hundreds of millions just for LRT extension smh...so yeah, we have his ear...he's a local.

btw two years ago NC dragged its feet on this and wasn't sure they wanted to make it a priority and Mc Cory tried to convince folks of its importance...from what I remember...Im sure there is a lot of support for it NOW.lol

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 08-09-2016 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 05:45 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
The CBBT is funded via tolls, and this area is a huge cul-de-sac. It's annoying and we need another way in and out.

I personally would l I love this if it means an easier route to 95 south. I hate the drive to Emporia. It's long, a speed trap, and I make no southern progress.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
I never said that you said it was "priority #1" ...I said it is "not MORE of a priority" to us than it is to NC. I know you have a love of NC and all...based on the focus of conversation youre having it should be clear that this is more important to NC than us. The whole "cul de sac" label is really overblown to be honest. Private investors arent spending 1 billion dollars on CBBT for nothing...if you want to get somewhere from here, you can...with relative ease.

btw two years ago NC dragged its feet on this and wasn't sure they wanted to make it a priority and Mc Cory tried to convince folks of its importance...from what I remember...Im sure there is a lot of support for it NOW.lol
So, the CBBT owners are making it easier to get to the Eastern Shore, basically a resort/retirement area with little economic development. Wow...

Again...NC didn't drag it's feet. They actually got ahead of themselves, if anything. Even back in 2012, NCDOT tried to get the corridor signed as I-44. The FHWA rejected it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140517...e%20County.pdf

So, they went ahead and settled for I-495 between Raleigh and Rocky Mount as a "Plan B", which got approved in 2013 because they didn't expect that Congressional approval of the Raleigh-Norfolk corridor would pass as soon as it did. The bill was introduced in Congress two years ago, but it had to be re-introduced in 2015 due to the 2014 elections and finally got signed into law as part of the FAST Act.

Hagan Introduces Highway Bill for Eastern North Carolina - News - The Daily News - Jacksonville, NC

NCDOT applied to AASHTO back in May to have the corridor designated Future I-89, which was a number VDOT agreed to, but AASHTO changed it to I-87 instead.

The corridor has had overwhelming support from the get-go. McCrory was just giving PR for the corridor. There was never any opposition to it. Even the HRTPO was/still is in support of it.

FYI, my dad and his people are from the Eastern Shore and I still have relatives that live in Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I'm no stranger to the area. I may not know as much as someone who lives there 24/7, but I'm not completely out of the loop.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:07 AM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
Quote:
So, the CBBT owners are making it easier to get to the Eastern Shore, basically a resort/retirement area with little economic development. Wow...

Again...NC didn't drag it's feet. They actually got ahead of themselves, if anything. Even back in 2012, NCDOT tried to get the corridor signed as I-44. The FHWA rejected it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140517...e%20County.pdf

So, they went ahead and settled for I-495 between Raleigh and Rocky Mount as a "Plan B", which got approved in 2013 because they didn't expect that Congressional approval of the Raleigh-Norfolk corridor would pass as soon as it did. The bill was introduced in Congress two years ago, but it had to be re-introduced in 2015 due to the 2014 elections and finally got signed into law as part of the FAST Act.

Hagan Introduces Highway Bill for Eastern North Carolina - News - The Daily News - Jacksonville, NC

NCDOT applied to AASHTO back in May to have the corridor designated Future I-89, which was a number VDOT agreed to, but AASHTO changed it to I-87 instead.

The corridor has had overwhelming support from the get-go. McCrory was just giving PR for the corridor. There was never any opposition to it. Even the HRTPO was/still is in support of it.

FYI, my dad and his people are from the Eastern Shore and I still have relatives that live in Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I'm no stranger to the area. I may not know as much as someone who lives there 24/7, but I'm not completely out of the loop.
CBBT owners make it easier to get to Philadelphia and other areas along that way. According to some, as long as it takes to get to DC with traffic...you could've been in Philly within the same time frame. smh. We rarely ever use 95. I doubt A private investor would waist that type of money if it wasn't valuable. They knew it was worth it back in the 60's. Why so down on the Shore...they need all the
economic development they can get...folks are starting to look for life on the shore...at least its in Virginia lol.

From what I remember NC was more concerned about spending their money on 440? and other projects throughout NC as the eastern section is more neglected. Filing paperwork doesn't really mean much, we do the same for projects that arent really priority...until they become priority.

Never said you were a stranger to the area...just figured you were aware of who the Secretary of Transportation was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area