Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:58 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times

Advertisements

Macy's is closing their stores at Military Circle Mall in Norfolk, Chesapeake Square Mall in Chesapeake and Peninsula Town Center in Hampton. The stores are expected to close in early spring of this year.

Macy’s stores closing across Hampton Roads | WAVY-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 03:33 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Unfortunately, just a sign of the times in Hampton Roads.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:34 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Unfortunately, just a sign of the times in Hampton Roads.
Except that they announced that they're closing stores all over the US.

I also don't know anybody who actually shops at Macy's.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Except that they announced that they're closing stores all over the US.

I also don't know anybody who actually shops at Macy's.
40 stores they're closing nationwide, which means 7.5% of store closings are located in Hampton Roads. Locally, with 6 Macy's locations, that's a 50% closure.

Heads may now be firmly planted back in the sand.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:39 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,218,989 times
In Newport News, the only other traditional department store is Dillards. Kohls is also a department store, but not in the same sense as Macy's.

I was surprised that the Patrick Henry store survived. When my I shopped at Macy's in this area, I went to Peninsula Town Center. I guess that won't happen any more.

I hope the workers displaced by the closings are able to quickly find other jobs.

Coconut1, have no fear, the heads were never removed from the sand.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:09 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
40 stores they're closing nationwide, which means 7.5% of store closings are located in Hampton Roads. Locally, with 6 Macy's locations, that's a 50% closure.

Heads may now be firmly planted back in the sand.
Maybe people here are smart enough to get stuff on Amazon or Macy's.com or sears.com or jcpenny.com instead of sifting through sales racks in a giant department store. With free shipping on returns why wouldn't you?

Or based on your argument, that one store opening or closing signifies the entire state of the local economy, maybe I should argue that it is booming... consider the following.

Nordstrom Rack to open in VB in 2016. They are only opening 22 new stores in the U.S. in 2016. That means 4.5% of all new Nordstrom rack stores are opening in the city of VB.

Future Nordstrom Store Openings

Top golf just opened in VB. They are opening 8 locations in 2016. That is 12.5% of new top golfs in VB alone! Amazing that a city containing only 0.15% of the countries population could get 12.5% of the new top golf locations.

Select Your Location - Topgolf

Economy must be booming! Holy ****, time to pull our heads out of the sand.

VB recorded record tourism in 2014 and is expected to break that in 2015 when the numbers come out next month. Pesky middle class folks enjoying themselves at our oceanfront in larger numbers every year.

2014 record year for Va. Beach tourism | WAVY-TV

The economy here is plodding along just like it always does. In fact, the new federal budget signals a fair amount of good news for Federal spending in the area which we all know is a big portion of the local economy. Money for shipbuilding, military gets a pay raise, and in a move that may bring rental costs around here down a bit... the housing allowance is actually dropping a bit. Seems like a winner to me.

Funding for Hampton Roads military construction projects and Navy ship repair highlight the 2016 federal spending bill - Daily Press

Washington budget deal is a boost for Hampton Roads | Local Military | pilotonline.com

Maybe you should stop with the chicken little routine already

It amazes me how much "progressives" hate the slow moving mediocrity that government reliance fosters. LOL

Last edited by UHgrad; 01-08-2016 at 07:00 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 10:23 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
So they keep the store at the fast-declining Patrick Henry Mall open but close the newish Peninsula Town Center one? That is nuts. Also there are three Macy's within 10 miles of each other here in Northern VA that are all staying open which is baffling.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:27 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post

Top golf just opened in VB. They are opening 8 locations in 2016. That is 12.5% of new top golfs in VB alone! Amazing that a city containing only 0.15% of the countries population could get 12.5% of the new top golf locations.

Select Your Location - Topgolf

Economy must be booming! Holy ****, time to pull our heads out of the sand.

VB recorded record tourism in 2014 and is expected to break that in 2015 when the numbers come out next month. Pesky middle class folks enjoying themselves at our oceanfront in larger numbers every year.
Interestingly, back in 2012 Italian restaurant chain Buca di Beppo was proposing a location in Chesapeake. It appears those plans are no longer on the table, since there hasn't been word of it ever since (or anywhere in Hampton Roads). So far the only location in Virginia is in Winchester. I wouldn't be all that certain that the Hampton Roads economy is booming.

Speaking of Buca di Beppo, if they do decide to come to Hampton Roads, I wonder if they will consider the Peninsula instead of the Southside. If a Peninsula location is chosen I would presume it would be somewhere in the Williamsburg area.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post

Coconut1, have no fear, the heads were never removed from the sand.
You're very right!

Economic reports be damned, Virginia Beach has a Top Golf! Movin' on up! LOL!!!!

Old 01-08-2016, 05:53 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
REALLY? You find it exciting that a Nordstrom Rack is opening up....LOL...yeah just what Hampton Roads needs, another store that sells leftover, over stocked, second quality merchandise at 75% off retail........you just described Hampton Roads in one short paragraph ....SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area