Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:49 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times

Advertisements

Y'all apparently missed the part where the OP said that she was looking for a suburban area/slower pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 07:50 AM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I grew up on the Peninsula and live near DC now. There is not enough money for me to give up the amenities of a major metro area like DC or NYC to move back to the blandness of Hampton or Newport News. I agree with the others, if you are doing decent in NYC stay there.
Well that all depends on the individual.
I grew up in and had a very successful long work career in the DC area. I live in a nice quiet coastal community now. I would never move back to that rat race. The only thing I miss is the ethnic food places.

If you have a skill you can make some decent money here (HR). I had no problem finding work. Not the same dollars as DC, but good money for this area.

I will say that a car is a must. From what I see public transportation is not very good here. Oh yea I miss METRO RAIL too, except at rush hour.

In addition. I would recommend not dipping into your retirement account unless you absolutely have to move and have no other options.

Last edited by lovnova; 01-11-2016 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-11-2016, 03:09 PM

998 posts, read 1,248,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've only visited but what they're saying is true. It's like a suburban sprawl area with four lane highways all over the place. On the sides of the highways are endless strip malls and chain stores and chain restaurants. It's speeding cars and huge tunnels, not relaxing or slow paced at all. The emphasis is on the military and you'd need to have a really, really high paying job to even begin to make up for the blandness. There's very little to do except drive--and you won't even have a car. Go and see for yourself but I don't know how you'll even get around without a car to be able to see it.
Wow, sounds similar to Blade Runner.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:26 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Norfolk (and soon, VB) has light rail.
Ha, it's a straight line and NOTHING like what the op is used to in NYC. The line in VAB, if it happens, is still many years away.

You'll need a car and most likely there is nothing close to your work that will give you what you're looking for.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Y'all apparently missed the part where the OP said that she was looking for a suburban area/slower pace.
Even there, you can do a lot better than Hampton Roads IMO.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:38 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
You must have missed the walking distance and public transportation part.

I love NYC and VAB for different reasons. I grew up in Hampton and I can tell you I hope to never go back to that side of the water. There are other VA hospitals that better meets the OPs needs and aren't so jacked up when it comes to providing services.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,618 times
Thanks for your input everyone. I think I've made my decision.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:24 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizverdize View Post
Thanks for your input everyone. I think I've made my decision.
What did you decide?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:13 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizverdize View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a job offer and am trying to decide on the best are to live in and if I should even do this move. I am a single 40y.o. NYC/Bronx woman that would like to live in a suburban area but still be in reach (preferably walking distance) of shopping, grocery stores, bars, etc. I understand there is a transit system. How is it? I do not have a car and have rode buses/trains with no issue. Can it really be done? I'm patient as long as the buses come so I can get to my job. Which neighborhoods are better and preferably closer to the Hampton VA Medical Ctr via bus or car? Hampton, Peninsula Town Center, Newport News, Norfolk?

I understand I may need a car eventually but finances may make this take longer. I do not have much $$ for moving at this time and wondering if going into my retirement savings is worth it.

Immediate help needed! Thanks so much!
If you dont have family at all that could help you, don't move. You will definitely need a car. I used to live in Va Beach for a few years. At first is like WHOAH. And people cannot drive for anything. It is extremely slow. However if you are looking for a nice place to live quietly. I recommend it. People are much nicer than NYC. If you move, please have a car. If not you are going to regret it. If you have any more questions do not hesitate in getting a hold of me.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:45 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
I forgot to mention, there are houses and apartments that is close distance that you can walk to. It is much safer in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. The bars are good in Virginia Beach. As long as you have a car you will be ok. I only lived in Virginia Beach so I can tell you everything and anything about VA Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area