Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 10:21 AM

26 posts, read 26,959 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for prices and info on internet.

I'm a college student raised by my grandparents and currently living with my grandfather. Up until a couple of months ago we had Cox Internet and TV. My grandfather kept complaining about the price of the digital receiver and I kept telling him to have them remove the receiver and hook the regular 65 channel cable setup back up like we had before upgrading. Cox being the swindlers that they are (telling us our splitters were causing poor internet speeds) just downgraded his TV package after requesting the box be removed so they could charge him monthly for the box. He also doesn't seem to understand for the first year they have a introductory price on the TV services, after that prices go sky high.

He eventually got fed-up and talked to my aunt. She talked him into DirecTV and Verizon MIFI with a lousy 5gb data plan. We're both pleased with DirecTV however being in college I've had to resort to spending all my free time at the Library on their internet since 15 minutes on Verizon MIFI uses up 1/2 of a GB.

It's starting to drive me nuts, I've had to resort to using internet at home sparingly for fear of overage charges. Unfortunately my Grandfather is his 80s and doesn't really understand much of anything about modern tech, and after warning him about not only the limited internet usage and being forced into a 2 year contract with Verizon just by purchasing this MiFi device which just went over his head.

I'm wondering who has the best internet in HR. I'm seriously looking into getting normal internet for myself since studying and leisure browsing isn't possible with only 5GB of data per month.

First, Cox Internet. When my Grandfather cancelled they told him if he kept just internet it would be 75$ a month, which after looking at their plans seems to be an attempt to sell him on the preferred internet instead of basic. It looks as if Basic is $40 a month.

I'm pretty sure Cox raises prices every year, and I'm wondering how much on average folks on here pay for basic internet through Cox.

Anyone using hughes or verizon broadband feel free to chime in. I see hughes has a newer tech out which they claim is faster however I had a good friend paying 140 a month and getting sub-broadband speeds.

Being a college student and working I'm trying to avoid paying over 75 a month for internet. I'm located in Williamsburg, pretty much smack between Toano and Norge on the northwest end of of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 10:01 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,092,379 times
Wow. I can't believe there is something out there that is worse than Charter. SMH.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,718,080 times
I would say the best internet I've had here is Fios, but the con is that the areas that have it are so limited that if you move yearly (read: live in apartments) you can't always take it with you. Hughesnet is awful. Charter is awful.

I actually haven't had that many issues with Cox price-wise. I have always called and asked for another promotion when mine was up and was able to

Maybe if you are paying for your Verizon stuff, it is time for you to get your own Internet bill? I don't have cable and just stream everything via Hulu/HBO NOW/Netflix and pay $60 a month for Cox's highest speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: