Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 7,779 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am starting residency at EVMS, Norfolk from this July. We have two kids, elder one in pre K. I am looking for a place that is more family oriented, good schools etc at the same time is not too far from work. Digging into the older posts on this forum, it seems like Ghent and Larchmont are the best places in Norfolk. However I would appreciate if someone can guide me regarding living in Suffolk/Chesapeake and commuting to Norfolk. I mean how doable it is ? Heard that the traffic in tunnels can be crazy especially during rush hours. My hours at work would be 6:30am to 6pm.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 05:53 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,489,091 times
The answer is easy, but the choice is not:

Pick:

Live in Chesapeake. This will mean good schools and an absolutely atrocious commute.

Live in Ghent. This will mean terrible schools and a very sane, easy to manage commute.

The tunnel traffic is atrocious during those times. I'd look into living in Ghent and sending my kids to private school.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:08 AM

6,293 posts, read 10,531,551 times
Actually the commute from Chesapeake doesn't have to be that bad if you cut through South Norfolk, take Campostella. If that's the case the OP would need to look in the Grassfield area.

ETA: The Ghent school is actually good and the OP's oldest child is in pk so I would worry much. Around here pk is basically daycare and not provided by the public schools unless the child is considered at-risk.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Actually the commute from Chesapeake doesn't have to be that bad if you cut through South Norfolk, take Campostella. If that's the case the OP would need to look in the Grassfield area.

ETA: The Ghent school is actually good and the OP's oldest child is in pk so I would worry much. Around here pk is basically daycare and not provided by the public schools unless the child is considered at-risk.
Depends what you consider "good".

I'd never send my kids to Norfolk public schools.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:35 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,531,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Depends what you consider "good".

I'd never send my kids to Norfolk public schools.
The Ghent school is a GOOD school. It is the only NPS I would consider. Not to mention the OP will only be here a short time and there will not be a public preschool option. Public school won't start until age 5. OP do the research before falling into generalizations.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,779 times
Thanks guys.
How about Greenbrier area in Chesapeake ? (can take Berkley bridge/Campostella)
Since public schools don't start until 5, I will end up sending elder one in private pk/daycare (Montessori or something similar). Ghent area looks good, but do you guys think that I will be getting better rentals outside Norfolk ?
Are there any areas outside Norfolk, from where its convenient to commute without going thro those atrocious tunnels ?

Thanks

Old 03-13-2016, 07:45 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,279,625 times
It's hard to say without knowing your budget and what type of housing (apartment, single family) you're looking for.

You could live in North Suffolk and be fine, but IMO there's no sense in doing that because A) You'll have a longer commute B) You'll go through a tunnel which can be congested (your times would most likely not encounter much traffic) and C) You'll be paying $3 a day (this will be going up every year GUARANTEED. A leftover token of corruption from our former governor) to go to and from work. (Side note on the tolls- "rush hour" begins from 5:30 AM until 9 AM, and 2:30 PM until 7 PM. The rate is 25 cents less at other times)

So in other words you're going to pay more in fuel, pay around $750 per year (again, this WILL increase next year) just to get to school, deal with more wear and tear, and deal with more aggravation.

Or you could live in Ghent or Larchmont, have a 5 minute commute, no toll, no traffic, no aggravation. Walking/biking are obviously also options.

Schools are fine there, too.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The Ghent school is a GOOD school. It is the only NPS I would consider. Not to mention the OP will only be here a short time and there will not be a public preschool option. Public school won't start until age 5. OP do the research before falling into generalizations.
OP, I agree, research your options. Ghent School is one of those "special" schools that you have to be admitted to. It's open to all Norfolk students, and it's chosen by a lottery and wait-list.

If you want to put your kids future in a government-run-surely-its-fair lottery system, then go for it.

If you decide to live in Norfolk and want to put your kids in a good school, count on putting them in private school.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:41 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,712,545 times
Honestly, depending on how long you are staying in the area, Granby Elementary has a 6/10 on Great Schools and the Riverpoint area of Norfolk would leave you with a manageable commute to EVMS (approximately 10 minutes). It looks like Larchmont Elementary has a 9 rating on greatschools, so I would believe it is also a GOOD school.

Granby Elementary School - Norfolk, Virginia - VA - School overview

I have friends in my neighborhood (one of whom is a doctor working at DePaul Hospital, which is very close) who send their kids here who like Granby Elementary and have had good experiences with the elementary, but sent their kids to a private middle school. The ones that sent their kids to private middle schools then allowed their kid to return to Granby High.

There are some parts of the neighborhood that are zoned for an awful middle school and then another part that is zoned for Blair Middle. If you are staying for a while (I'm not sure how long residency is - three years?), I would recommend the Blair Middle zone, because that is one of the better middle schools. Those homes are a little closer to the Lafayette.

I would avoid the tunnels at all cost around that time of day. It is stressful and annoying and a tradeoff. Like anywhere, the areas with better schools are at a premium, but I would say the extra you spend in rent is worth it because it is good to be close to work in your case.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:58 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,989,708 times
Just live in VA Beach, you have your choice of great schools and no tunnels or bridges to worry about....sure no matter where you live there will be those days that traffic is just a cluster....the good thing about living in VA Bch is if the interstate is at a standstill you have numerous city streets you can use to get home which is normally not an option if you have to cross a tunnel etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area