Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:04 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times

Advertisements

In major shift, HRT will study two light rail routes to Norfolk Naval Station | Traffic & Transportation | pilotonline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:09 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
I don't think light rail to Norfolk naval station makes sense, but I do think to ODU does.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:30 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Why do you think it wouldn't make sense to NOB? This area has thousands of people who work out of that base. Not to mention plenty of people that go on base or close to it for shopping i.e. exchange store.

The only problem I see it going to the base is the base is very large. So I highly doubt the train will physically go into the base so you'll need a way to get to the certain part of the base you need to be at.

ODU is perfect though.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:18 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Why do you think it wouldn't make sense to NOB? This area has thousands of people who work out of that base. Not to mention plenty of people that go on base or close to it for shopping i.e. exchange store.

The only problem I see it going to the base is the base is very large. So I highly doubt the train will physically go into the base so you'll need a way to get to the certain part of the base you need to be at.

ODU is perfect though.
Honestly, I think that the cars on the lightrail only hold so many people in it at one time and I don't think it will even make a dent on the base traffic even running at max capacity. It won't fix base traffic issues and then people are also left with the issue of, "How do I get from where it drops me off to where I need to go?" Does it drop you off to a shuttle? How will they work out IDs being checked?

ODU just makes more sense to me. Tons of people commute there and pay $180 or so to park there. Having the lightrail option could save people a ton, but also get more riders. Also, if the expansion to VB occurs, I can see on campus ODU students using lightrail to go spend money at the Oceanfront... etc.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:30 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Honestly, I think that the cars on the lightrail only hold so many people in it at one time and I don't think it will even make a dent on the base traffic even running at max capacity. It won't fix base traffic issues and then people are also left with the issue of, "How do I get from where it drops me off to where I need to go?" Does it drop you off to a shuttle? How will they work out IDs being checked?

ODU just makes more sense to me. Tons of people commute there and pay $180 or so to park there. Having the lightrail option could save people a ton, but also get more riders. Also, if the expansion to VB occurs, I can see on campus ODU students using lightrail to go spend money at the Oceanfront... etc.

Good points especially at ODU. Plus if students are on their way to ODU they can study on the train. Just an added benefit you won't have driving.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:01 PM

121 posts, read 461,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I don't think light rail to Norfolk naval station makes sense, but I do think to ODU does.
Naval Station is the areas largest employer. Whichever route they take it HAS to go there or why do it. Besides, the Navy themselves have been lobbying for it so it's not out of the question that we'll get some additional federal assistance towards building.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:30 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
Not a resident, but still visit family a lot. Just my outside opinion... Go to ODU and the base. They need to do the line from downtown up Hampton to ODU and onward to the base. That corridor has the density, students, and young professionals to support it. I know it will cost more, but the eastern route out by military circle would rarely get used. Rail is used when traffic is bad, parking is difficult and expensive, and people can walk from their home/office to the rail and then to their destination. If they have to get in a car to reach the rail...they stay in their car. Hampton Blvd up through ODU to the base has bad traffic, high density (by HR standards), expensive/difficult parking so the rail should work. As far as the base goes...most Dodge installations subsidize workers who use mass transit so that would bump ridership too. Maybe I am just selfish...I hate driving Hampton Blvd. Lol.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 PM

136 posts, read 443,534 times
OF course the obvious answer is BOTH ROUTES. The eastern route should go to the airport, though. ORF is not served by HRT buses, and a route from the base to the airport would be very well used.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:24 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
It doesn't matter. At the end of the day Norfolk needs at least five routes going through and out of the city to the rest of the region before light rail will be a realistic, viable option for anyone. Until then it will continue to be a novelty. Most respectable rail systems have at least three of four lines. Until then we're just playing catch up to Charlotte.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:36 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
It doesn't matter. At the end of the day Norfolk needs at least five routes going through and out of the city to the rest of the region before light rail will be a realistic, viable option for anyone. Until then it will continue to be a novelty. Most respectable rail systems have at least three of four lines. Until then we're just playing catch up to Charlotte.
While there's some truth behind this, it isn't completely true. The more lines that we have for The Tide, the more useful it becomes. Especially as other cities continue to study bringing The Tide in as well. In addition to the extension to Town Center, there is still talk of a line to Greenbrier and then Virginia Beach has released a map recently showing a few other different routes they want to consider as well (not all realistic, but at least they're ideas).

In about 20 years, we may have a decent system that will help people get around though I would agree that the system as is isn't very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area