Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 PM

120 posts, read 210,319 times

Advertisements

I will have to agree with the above post, I've been in the area for about 2 months now and am thoroughly disappointed with the number and quality of single females in Hampton Roads. I don't plan on staying here for more than 2 years so I will look casually but will hopefully hold out until I move on to the next area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 12,177 times
Default Single Women

Wow! By the sounds of it, my sister, who is single and white-collar hit the jackpot by moving from D.C. to downtown Norfolk. So where are these spots filled with loads of professional, single men? Are there daytime locales too?

Old 09-26-2010, 01:42 PM

239 posts, read 633,054 times
Yeah, your sister will have a blast here with all of the available guys. If she wants I am sure she can have a date every night of the week. As far as spots to find single men, pretty much any bar/club/nightlife spot will have the ratios in her favor. That is the same with daytime locales as well.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
I will have to agree with the above post, I've been in the area for about 2 months now and am thoroughly disappointed with the number and quality of single females in Hampton Roads. I don't plan on staying here for more than 2 years so I will look casually but will hopefully hold out until I move on to the next area.
I agree with your approach, if something comes along then great. But I think your best bet is to just wait it out until you can move to a more favorable city.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfetteXOXO View Post
Wow! By the sounds of it, my sister, who is single and white-collar hit the jackpot by moving from D.C. to downtown Norfolk. So where are these spots filled with loads of professional, single men? Are there daytime locales too?
These posts are just too funny. Poor poor guys that are stuck in an area where all the females are of such poor "quality". I'm sure it has nothing to do with the guys that are doing the complaining. Yeesh.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 AM

129 posts, read 359,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
These posts are just too funny. Poor poor guys that are stuck in an area where all the females are of such poor "quality". I'm sure it has nothing to do with the guys that are doing the complaining. Yeesh.
I see your point, however if the numbers just simply aren't there it, without a doubt, presents less options for the guys living in the HR area. Majority of girls in their mid 20s I have come across in the HR don't really have anything going for themselves (waitresses, bar tenders, mall job, Navy enlisted, unemployment). Coming from a real area, I can tell you it is much different every where else.

PS, HR has a huge obesity problem lol

Old 10-04-2010, 08:46 AM

18 posts, read 56,063 times
I just don't know where the idea of a depletion of women is coming from. When I go back home I see women everywhere I go. I go to the mall, there's women. I go to a concert, there's women. I go to the beach, there's scantily clad women. I was born-n-raised in the area and stay in touch with my friends still in the area. They have never complained about the desolate outlook of single life in HR. Many of them have married or are in serious relationships.

To put a little perspective on the subject, here are the population numbers according to city-data:

Virginia Beach (M)214,641 (F)218,934
Norfolk (M)119,283 (F)114,050
Chesapeake (M)108,028 (F)114,427
Portsmouth (M)47,982 (F)51,339
Total (M)489,934 (F)498,750

As you can see, there are actually more females in the area than males. Here's what I don't know: single female population. I couldn't find accurate data, but I'm sure it's out there. My point is that there are hundreds of thousands of women on the southside alone.

If I was woman I think I would be insulted by what you perceive a quality woman should be. I think. If social status is such a priority for you, I would recommend DC or NYC. Perhaps those are what you would consider real areas?

PSS, America has an obesity problem. Your projection to single out HR is off base. Here are a couple polls that put HR in the top 25 fittest/healthiest large cities. I don't put a lot of pull in these polls, but at the very least it should indicate that HR is at least on par with American health standards.

The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America 2009 - Men's Fitness

ACSM | America's 50 Largest Metro Areas Get Their Annual Physical (http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=ACSM_News_Releases&CONTENTID= 14704&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm - broken link)

Old 10-04-2010, 10:37 AM

148 posts, read 370,694 times
crashEHC, some of the guys on here are just unlucky and shy. People will blame everything else but themselves for their short comings; including but not limited to their success rate with women. There's a lot of beautiful ladies around here, especially at the beach and they're not all gold diggers or stuck up or whatever else they're calling them.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashEHC View Post
I just don't know where the idea of a depletion of women is coming from. When I go back home I see women everywhere I go. I go to the mall, there's women. I go to a concert, there's women. I go to the beach, there's scantily clad women. I was born-n-raised in the area and stay in touch with my friends still in the area. They have never complained about the desolate outlook of single life in HR. Many of them have married or are in serious relationships.

To put a little perspective on the subject, here are the population numbers according to city-data:

Virginia Beach (M)214,641 (F)218,934
Norfolk (M)119,283 (F)114,050
Chesapeake (M)108,028 (F)114,427
Portsmouth (M)47,982 (F)51,339
Total (M)489,934 (F)498,750

As you can see, there are actually more females in the area than males. Here's what I don't know: single female population. I couldn't find accurate data, but I'm sure it's out there. My point is that there are hundreds of thousands of women on the southside alone.

If I was woman I think I would be insulted by what you perceive a quality woman should be. I think. If social status is such a priority for you, I would recommend DC or NYC. Perhaps those are what you would consider real areas?

PSS, America has an obesity problem. Your projection to single out HR is off base. Here are a couple polls that put HR in the top 25 fittest/healthiest large cities. I don't put a lot of pull in these polls, but at the very least it should indicate that HR is at least on par with American health standards.

The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America 2009 - Men's Fitness

ACSM | America's 50 Largest Metro Areas Get Their Annual Physical (http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=ACSM_News_Releases&CONTENTID= 14704&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm - broken link)
It may be true that there are more females than males here, but if you look at the younger age group, the ratios are in favor of women. Here is an example of a zip code in Virginia Beach:

http://www.city-data.com/zips/23454.html

Look at the 20-30 age group. Imagine being a 25 year old male here, it would totally suck. It isn't just that zip code, most zips in HR are like that.

Most people I know notice the inbalanced ratios. I have traveled to many different cities and it is a totally different experience than here. Other cities you walk into a bar and there are a large number of single women. Here you walk into a bar and you mostly see Navy guys and the few women that are there are either with someone or surrounded by like 5-6 guys. This is a military town, that is just the way it is.

I do agree with you about HR and obesity though. Compared to other cities, HR does seem to be pretty fit, I don't think there is an obesity problem here.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 AM

18 posts, read 56,063 times
Chesapeake, I seem to be corrected. Thanks for the link; I didn't think to look it up by zip code. I looked into more VA Beach and Norfolk zip codes and strangely enough Norfolk seems to have a better ratio in that age group despite having fewer females overall. Maybe due to ODU and NSU?

http://www.city-data.com/zips/23502.html
http://www.city-data.com/zips/23504.html
http://www.city-data.com/zips/23505.html
http://www.city-data.com/zips/23508.html

That being said, there were some Norfolk zip codes that were extremely skewed towards men (23503, 23510). Are those military base zip codes?

To be honest, I took more offense to what bullet considered a quality woman, particularly when he listed Navy enlisted. Also, I wanted to point out that Tidewater isn't a "men only" club. The 20-35 group might be majority men, but there are still many women out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area