Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Along ocean front, bay or inlands a bit?
Near Ocean front 5 22.73%
Near Bay front 6 27.27%
Inland a little from the water 12 54.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:29 AM

184 posts, read 244,849 times

Advertisements

Sailesia, I agree with rtandc. The neighborhoods I referred to near the Bay are close to Chick's Beach. The neighborhoods I mentioned south of Dam neck would allow you the tourist area beach or Sandbridge. Some of these neighborhoods will also have the jet noise. If you are working from home, traffic should not be an issue although there are some areas in Virginia Beach that will test your patience while driving during rush hour. As for flooding, your Realtor or your insurance agent will be able to tell you if a particular house that you consider purchasing requires flood insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 10:33 PM

133 posts, read 149,411 times
It looks like I have been narrowing in on the areas you all have mentioned... Chick's Beach or just north of Sandbridge (but south of Ocean Front) - looks like Damn Neck and Woodhouse Corner. Could you guys compare the "culture" of the two?

I briefly considered Ocean Front area, but decided it would feel too busy/congested for me during the summer.

Looking at Great Neck too, as it is convenient to alot of shopping/facilities I would use.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:44 AM

Here is a link to tell you about Woodhouse Corner:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Dam Neck is a Military Base. There are a number of developments off/near Dam Neck Road to include Woodhouse Corner. In general, in that section of Virginia Beach, you have a large number of current or retired military as you have several military bases very close by. The area has a beach vibe in the sense that there are restaurants, but not necessarily "upscale" restaurants. Nearby golf courses and parks. Outdoor venue for concerts is maybe 15/20 min. drive. New Hospital about the same drive. Also about the same drive time, depending on time of day to pick up the expressway to go to other areas in Hampton Roads.

Last edited by Yac; 08-04-2016 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 11:09 AM

133 posts, read 149,411 times
fmac, to clarify, are you saying that to get to 264 from near the damn neck/woodhouse corner neighborhoods, it is 15-20 minutes? Are you talking about take 165 (through Princess Anne) or 615 (between Oceana and the ocean front area) to get to 264?

Old 07-18-2016, 01:28 PM

I am talking about General Booth to Oceana Blvd to First Colonial. I just showed a house in Upton Estates (by the Base at Dam Neck). And no traffic (mid afternoon) took almost 10 minutes. When I have gone a similar route in rush hour, it has taken longer. Again, depending on traffic, picking the expressway up at Birdneck may be a little quicker. I never go that way.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:02 PM

553 posts, read 615,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmac View Post
I am talking about General Booth to Oceana Blvd to First Colonial. I just showed a house in Upton Estates (by the Base at Dam Neck). And no traffic (mid afternoon) took almost 10 minutes. When I have gone a similar route in rush hour, it has taken longer. Again, depending on traffic, picking the expressway up at Birdneck may be a little quicker. I never go that way.
Going up to Birdneck is almost never worth it; the speed limit is lower for a longer stretch of road, plus the entry point on 264 is further east. It's hard to argue against the Oceana to First Colonial route, but if you're starting out far enough south (Woodhouse Corner/Strawbridge/Red Mill area rather than right along Dam Neck Road), then either of these can be good alternatives:

(1) London Bridge Road. This goes around the other side of NAS Oceana; you have the option of following London Bridge Road north of Dam Neck Road (which includes some slower and more narrow areas near Oceana Gate 2), or turning left on Dam Neck and right on Drakesmile, which becomes London Bridge after a short distance.

(2) Nimmo Parkway to Princess Anne Road to Ferrell Parkway to Indian River Road to I-64. Good for traveling from Chesapeake/Suffolk/etc, but only during non-rush hours, due to traffic lights on Princess Anne and heavy traffic around Kempsville.

I live near the corner of Upton and Nimmo, and it takes just about 15 minutes for me to get to 264 via General Booth and First Colonial. With light traffic and traffic light luck, I can make it to the Hilltop shopping areas just north of there in 15.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:47 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Make sure you're aware that flood insurance is required for some areas and can get expensive. I'm not sure how true it is but apparently it will be increasing a high % over the next several years.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
Also remember the jet noise from Oceana, many neighborhoods in that area are directly effected by the noise. Go to the virginia beach government home page and do a search on "jet patterns" and it will bring up all the different jet noise maps and studies. If you do decide on a certain neighborhood, go to the Oceana jet base homepage to get their estimated flight times and spend a bunch of time in that neighborhood deciding if you can handle the noise because based on operations, world events, what squadrons are in/out etc they could fly constantly

Old 07-19-2016, 09:23 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
I echo the comments on flood insurance. I own a home near a creek and my insurance company would no longer would ensure me because I lived in a 'flood zone'. I had to really shop around to find someone to cover my property.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:08 PM

With respect to flood insurance, technically we are all in a flood zone, it just depends on the area and primarily the elevation as to if insurance will be required. As I said in a previous post, an insurance agent or OP's realtor will be able to determine if a house requires flood insurance. For example, I was in a home on the ocean in Croatan that did not require flood insurance because of the elevation. And as citydweller correctly suggests, FEMA and/or mortgage lenders and by extension insurance companies can change the criteria. FEMA has redrawn our flood areas several times that I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area