Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Along ocean front, bay or inlands a bit?
Near Ocean front 5 22.73%
Near Bay front 6 27.27%
Inland a little from the water 12 54.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 12:48 PM

133 posts, read 148,907 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have decided to move to Virginia Beach area... now looking for neighborhoods to live. My budget is $350. I work from home so commute is not an issue.

I am looking north of 264 - from the ocean front to around Independence Blvd and from 264 all the way north to the Bay. Also looking at Dam Neck or other areas biking distance from Sandbridge OR Willoughby Spit across to East Beach along the bay in Norfolk. I have looked at houses in this area and know it is in the process of gentrifying, but would be nice to have local knowledge about it.

I would like to be close to the water. I am 44, single and would like to be relatively near things to do. It would be a big plus to be near a park, but not necessary. Would be nice to be relatively near a Costco, Whole Foods and other shopping conveniences. Would like to be in a neighborhood where I feel safe going for a walk with my dogs at night... (however I am not a scardy cat either - I lived in some rough areas in S. America for several years in a row - I can handle myself.)

I would like a 3 br, 2 ba house with a yard.

Thank you for any and all input of the neighborhoods!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 01:45 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,494,005 times
350k will get you a really nice place inland.

It's not going to get you a stellar place near the water.

The problem with "near the water" is that in many areas, there are very expensive homes on the water, and then 3 streets back is a bad neighborhood. This is especially true of the ocean front. The Bay side is definitely more affordable, and Chick's Beach is a nice area, but it's also very expensive and 350k won't go far unless you're looking to take on a major renovation.

Many of the inland areas don't have that problem.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:30 PM

Thank you, Lockdev! How far inland are you talking? I think I remember the Great Neck area being nice and having those things that I want - but that was years ago. Opinions on that and other inland areas? Any areas within about 1 mile of the beach?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:41 AM

Hello? Anyone else?

How about Dam Neck area? It's not ocean front, but it's close...

Old 07-11-2016, 11:17 AM

Or Woodhouse Corner?

Old 07-11-2016, 12:46 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,030,174 times
In general, most of what you find in Virginia Beach is going to be VERY expensive. This is especially true at the lower-end of the housing spectrum. The western half of VB is a little bit better for pricing but not much.

Granted, if you're looking for a small home, you might be able to get something nice in the eastern half for $350K. But if you're OK with an extra 20-30 minutes of driving to get to the beach you can save yourself a ton of money (what you might find for $350K in the eastern part of VB would probably cost you about $300K in the western half, such as in Kempsville or even in the high $200K in western Chesapeake).

Basically, the question to ask yourself is if the extra $200-$300/month is worth saving 20-30 minutes to get to the beach.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:32 PM

184 posts, read 243,510 times
There are a few areas in the Great Neck corridor where you can find a home in your price range, but limited choice. You will have more of a choice of properties south of the Dam Neck/Strawbridge area. You will also have the noise of Oceana Naval Air Station when they are flying. The Kempsville area to the Chesapeake line will also have homes in you price range with many of the amenities you mention, but you will be on average 30 minutes to the water.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:53 PM

Thank you for your replies! Since part of the reason I am moving there is to be near the water, I really would like to be within a 10 minute drive of the beach. I don't care if it is the ocean or the bay. I really love the bay too.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:47 AM

184 posts, read 243,510 times
As of this morning, there 4 neighborhoods that have homes in your price range that would be within a 10 minute or less transit to the bay. These are in the Great Neck corridor and down Shore Drive towards the Military Base at Little Creek.
There are 4 other neighborhoods with homes that meet your criteria and are within 10 minutes to the Ocean. These areas are south of the Military Base at Dam Neck. Please PM if you would like more details.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:00 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,998,925 times
Sailelsa, first you need to decide if you want to be near the bay or ocean. Second you do not want to be anywhere near the resort strip during the summer, leave that area for the tourist. Locals that live in VA Bch hang out mostly either at Chick's beach or Sandbridge. But they are located on the opposite ends of the city. If you decide to look for a home in Virginia Beach remember these three very important things....jet noise, traffic and flooding, try your best to stay away from all three
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area