Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:15 AM

184 posts, read 245,116 times

Advertisements

You could find what you are looking for in either VB or Chesapeake. However living in this area, we are victims of tunnels and bridges that can exacerbate already heavy traffic. Living in this area would mean on average a 2 hour drive to Richmond...some days more, very few days less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 01:01 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Np912 View Post
Wow, that is interesting. I think I will look more into vab. Is Chesapeake a good and affordable area? The understanding I got from the union rep, is that the majority of work is in Norfolk, but at times he may have to go to jobs in Richmond. Is there a lot of traffic in the vab/Norfolk area? Or if he had to commute to Richmond from that area, is there a lot of traffic? I think we would be OK in the vab or Chesapeake area if he only had to commute to Richmond every so often.
Chesapeake is like any other city with a fairly large population. There are great areas and there are some not-so-great areas. For the most part, it is nice. Affordable? Not so much. House prices are high and taxes are also higher than you'd expect for a mostly-rural/suburban area.

Traffic can be a major problem in Norfolk and certain parts of Virginia Beach. Norfolk has the worst traffic in Hampton Roads due to all the tunnels and bridges. Just pull up traffic maps on google and look at the 5pm hour. You'll see a sea of red streets and highways.

Virginia Beach can get pretty hairy as well. It has nearly half a million people. That's not NY big, but it's still a hefty size.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:20 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Check out some of the info on tripadvisor forums for places like Virginia Beach.

VB is a continually growing city, has been said to be fastest growing in Virginia. Did not really feel the bad financial times of recent years. Tourism, military and farming are the big money there. And trickle downs...all the support businesses needed, tech spinoffs, etc.

Thousands and thousands of acres of state and national park land. Great nature tours, botanical gardens, lots of events particularly along the boardwalk a lot of spring, summer and fall. Which reminds me most of the sand part of the beach is footballfield deep. The boardwalk is 3 miles long and in the Guinness book of world records. The boardwalk is concrete, hotels back to it and some restaurants but not junky shops.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:21 AM

The highway there, I 95, and crossing bridges and tunnels.....the less of that the better.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:29 AM

8 posts, read 14,824 times
Everything sounds really great, as far as what we're looking for. My husband commutes 2 hrs now, so if he could even just cut that in half, he would be happy. And no matter where we pick, even if it's a little pricey for the area, it's nothing like ny cost of living! So, I'm still not sure of what are is best for us!??? I really liked the thought of Williamsburg, if my husband can get to and from work within an hour. But it also sounds like vab has the better schools. I can't wait to visit, so We can experience the area. I'm sure that will give us a little more clarity

Old 08-24-2016, 10:56 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
The highway there, I 95, and crossing bridges and tunnels.....the less of that the better.
What highway where?

The Hampton Roads area has I-64. There are also branches of 64 identified with 3 digits _64.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
What highway where?

The Hampton Roads area has I-64. There are also branches of 64 identified with 3 digits _64.
Richmond has been mentioned several times. I'm sure with the concern for commute, the possibility of working in Richmond and just travelling to VA from NY she got where the main artery through VA is.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Richmond has been mentioned several times. I'm sure with the concern for commute, the possibility of working in Richmond and just travelling to VA from NY she got where the main artery through VA is.
You're the only one bringing up 95. The commute the OP is asking about is on 64. The bridges and tunnels the OP's husband would have to deal with are part of 64. The OP isn't asking about a commute from NY to VA.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
You're the only one bringing up 95. The commute the OP is asking about is on 64. The bridges and tunnels the OP's husband would have to deal with are part of 64. The OP isn't asking about a commute from NY to VA.
This is so funny. Yes, I guess NP912 would just happen to never drive down and never happen to think let's got straight down and drive on the main artery which should be good and go through the capital where DH may work and check it out.

Actually, NP912, the south can be a very friendly place with people thinking of others needs.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
This is so funny. Yes, I guess NP912 would just happen to never drive down and never happen to think let's got straight down and drive on the main artery which should be good and go through the capital where DH may work and check it out.

Actually, NP912, the south can be a very friendly place with people thinking of others needs.
I have no idea what you're talking about, but if the OP were to come down to check the area out 17 is MUCH faster way to get here. The OP never said DC as a work site the OP said Richmond and Norfolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area