Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:50 AM

795 posts, read 1,008,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1130 View Post
Thanks to all who have responded to my inquiries. From the responses, it seems the area gears more towards military families. It does seem to have some possibilities in some areas but not many in the quality of life according to this forum. I am expanding my options so I am also looking into Raleigh and Jacksonville, FL as well. Of course, I will be visiting the area as well before making the move. A friend of mine suggested Houston, TX but that is way too far as I am looking for a place that is less than a 6 hour drive from Charlotte.
Again, thank you all for your responses.
Suggest you don't make a decision on HR (Yes or No) based on mostly Troll posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 12:00 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,015,934 times
Quote:
Thanks to all who have responded to my inquiries. From the responses, it seems the area gears more towards military families. It does seem to have some possibilities in some areas but not many in the quality of life according to this forum. I am expanding my options so I am also looking into Raleigh and Jacksonville, FL as well. Of course, I will be visiting the area as well before making the move. A friend of mine suggested Houston, TX but that is way too far as I am looking for a place that is less than a 6 hour drive from Charlotte.
Again, thank you all for your responses.

If you are concerned about the large military presence in the Hampton Roads area then you can take Jacksonville Florida off of your list also as there are several large military bases located there. I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but I would be looking more towards maybe someplace like Ashville NC or into the Tennessee region just based off of the limited information supplied

Old 11-21-2016, 06:39 PM

106 posts, read 175,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Suggest you don't make a decision on HR (Yes or No) based on mostly Troll posts.

Thanks. I'm also planning on a visit. I just wanted to get some input here first so I can check out the places that mostly fits my description.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
If you are concerned about the large military presence in the Hampton Roads area then you can take Jacksonville Florida off of your list also as there are several large military bases located there. I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but I would be looking more towards maybe someplace like Ashville NC or into the Tennessee region just based off of the limited information supplied

Military presence is not a concern for me but from some responses it seems the majority of the area is based of military and family. I like diversity so I would prefer an area where there is a mix and not just one concentration. So basically I am looking for an area that is diverse, walkable close to shops restaurants, movie theaters. I work from home so I prefer an area where I can take walks during breaks or go for a jog (perhaps a park nearby). Not a place where I will be surrounded by just trees and the closest store is about an hour walk. I’m not into the clubbing or bar seen but I do like listening to music, (some restaurants here have live bands you can enjoy while having a nice dinner). Having the beach close by is nice but not a priority.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,591,088 times
Quote:
Military presence is not a concern for me but from some responses it seems the majority of the area is based of military and family. I like diversity so I would prefer an area where there is a mix and not just one concentration. So basically I am looking for an area that is diverse, walkable close to shops restaurants, movie theaters. I work from home so I prefer an area where I can take walks during breaks or go for a jog (perhaps a park nearby). Not a place where I will be surrounded by just trees and the closest store is about an hour walk. I’m not into the clubbing or bar seen but I do like listening to music, (some restaurants here have live bands you can enjoy while having a nice dinner). Having the beach close by is nice but not a priority.
Thanks for your suggestions.
My husband hasn't been in the military for over 10 years. To be honest other than traffic around the bases and jet noise, if you live in the flight path, it's not a big deal. We have a military guy who lives in the house across the street and other than him I rarely see anyone in uniform. I'm not really sure what the issue is with having military in the area, but I never have issues with them.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Have to agree.

Most people are here because the military sent them here, or they landed a job here. Over the past 20 years of living in the area, I have yet to someone who moved here by choice.

Why not look into the Triangle? It's far enough away from Charlotte and has more of the things you're looking for.

If nothing else, visit this place and see if it's for you.
Most people are not here because of the military. Check the census data.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
My husband hasn't been in the military for over 10 years. To be honest other than traffic around the bases and jet noise, if you live in the flight path, it's not a big deal. We have a military guy who lives in the house across the street and other than him I rarely see anyone in uniform. I'm not really sure what the issue is with having military in the area, but I never have issues with them.

Thanks for the info. Is this area in VB or Norfolk?

Old 11-21-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Is this area in VB or Norfolk?
I live in VAB.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
I gave up on moving there but have you considered the Williamsburg area just to the north?

If I could afford it, that's where I'd live. The trouble with Virginia Beach for me was (how to explain) it's all highways and traffic. It wasn't what I would consider livable. My sister has been there for 25 years and tolerates it. Her grown kids have done fine there and go to college in Norfolk. She wants to move out when she retires.

Not that I've seen much of Williamsburg but it seems to have what I did not find in Virginia Beach--the restaurants, shops, walkability. Virginia Beach seemed to be all fast food places and strip malls, connected by four lane highways--four lanes each way! Someone did show me the beach once but people don't really seem to go there very often. It's dominated by high rise hotels right on the beach and there isn't much parking for the people who aren't staying in a hotel. I tried to like it but it's not as good as it sounded.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I gave up on moving there but have you considered the Williamsburg area just to the north?

If I could afford it, that's where I'd live. The trouble with Virginia Beach for me was (how to explain) it's all highways and traffic. It wasn't what I would consider livable. My sister has been there for 25 years and tolerates it. Her grown kids have done fine there and go to college in Norfolk. She wants to move out when she retires.

Not that I've seen much of Williamsburg but it seems to have what I did not find in Virginia Beach--the restaurants, shops, walkability. Virginia Beach seemed to be all fast food places and strip malls, connected by four lane highways--four lanes each way! Someone did show me the beach once but people don't really seem to go there very often. It's dominated by high rise hotels right on the beach and there isn't much parking for the people who aren't staying in a hotel. I tried to like it but it's not as good as it sounded.
You missed all the good stuff! There are a ton of hidden jem restaurants and the locals go to Sandbridge beach. If the OP wants walkable then town center is a perfect choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area