Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM

185 posts, read 564,883 times

Advertisements

stacylee-thank you for your response! That was another one of our concerns. We don't want to move to a place that closes for the winter. As far as hobbies go, we absolutely love spending time at the beach, we like to eat out, we are interested in getting into water sports, we like to fish. We really like to go out for walks in the early evening, which is why safety is a concern. We are open to trying new things, we're just looking for some suggestions from locals on where to go, what to see, and what to do!!!

We're going to come down for a couple days in a few weeks, and while we're there we want to try to imagine what it's like living there, instead of being tourists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,580 times
Default Va Beach assessment

Figure I'd chime in... I currently live in Vienna (Fairfax), VA outside of the DC Metro area but I lived in VA Beach from 94-2004 before I went away to college. My family moved from Stamford, CT (subregion of NYC now) when I was around 14. My mother raised all three of us down there after my father died. I've seen the city change in some ways but then again, so has a lot of places. Change is good! I will say that growing up in VA Beach was a great experience mostly as a teenager. My biggest love was athletics and I was obsessed with playing basketball. One of the biggest things I loved about Va Beach growing up was the Recreational Centers. There was always a lot for us kids growing up..That is, until you turn 18 .

Another thing I really love about Va Beach is the ease in which you can create friendships with other cultures. I'm haitian-american...Born in Stamford. I'm a Yankee at heart. But I can truly say that my whole perception of people really changed when I came down here. I can truly say that my circle of friends that I consider family in Hampton Roads, they consisted of many different cultures..latin, philipino, black, white, middle-eastern..It was truly a beautiful thing growing up. I've been to several places and its incredibly hard to find that outside of big cities. Currently in DC, I STILL feel its divided in some ways across racial lines. The funniest thing is you don't even notice until you leave VA Beach and return. But on my last visit two weeks ago, I noticed that more with people our age, its even more prevalent how much people interact. I met a young woman on the Metro train a month ago who pointed this same thing out...couldn't believe she noticed the difference also compared to DC.

Now, my only drawback was the lack of work at the time. I went through a very tough growing process finding work. I didn't go to college straight out of high school and found out very quickly how tough it can be if you have nothing going for you . It can be very stagnant for anyone who didn't have a military background, etc.. Furthermore, it can be really slow at times. Don't expect to move to VA Beach expecting it to be anything near a major city or surrounding city that is influenced by such...It drove me crazy that we never had a professional sports team...As a sports nut, only that was tough. But, that being said its a great place to raise families. I have about two other mom's and aunts who aren't blood-related, countless others whom I consider brothers who aren't the same shade, and I literally cried when my mom sold our first house that I grew up half my life in. I'm 27 now and while I may have outgrown the town, I don't discount that its still a great place to live and raise a family if:

1) You have great income and specifically, if you can find a profitable niche
2) You are ready to experience the more family oriented life
3) You are looking for more of a balance in many areas of life (leisure, recreation, activities for children)

You should be ok with stuff to do for young couples. Downtown Norfolk is pretty cool and really, the area is more of a locals spot. It will take some time to probably find your nihce but I will say there are TONS of restaurants in the Va Beach area / square mile. That's impressive alone and I've visited tons of places. Keep in mind, when the summers come you still have the theme parks (Busch Gardens, Watercountry USA) and Williamsburg has stuff too. All mostly family oriented but if I as a young, single great looking guy enjoyed my time down there, chances are you will too Stay away from the main strip. I would urge you to find the "locals" beaches..I personally never go to the main strip unless we're meeting for dinner.

As far as danger, it depends. If you aren't the street smart type, thats ok..you won't be walking very much more than likely and there aren't too many places that I can envision you going where you have to "watch your back"... It never struck me as that type of town and I have been and seen it all..As well as lived through it. I use to live in Ocean Lakes but the area has changed a bit. If you are looking for a lot more land and want more countryside, cleaner air, more places for your kids to run dirtbikes, I'd suggest looking into the Pungo area. Areas of Kempsville and Salem are also very nice. Chesapeake was developing nicely when I use to live there also. But things start to change more as you start going West (Norfolk, Hampton, Suffolk, etc.)

But I will agree, housing has increased greatly and salaries have not increased nearly as much. Which is a HUGE reason why I could never go back to living there...I'm currently looking at San Diego

Old 03-01-2008, 04:42 AM

22 posts, read 146,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
My fiance and I were in Virginia Beach about a year ago and almost moved there but certain circumstances made that impossible at the time. We are now looking at the area again but have a few questions. We are a very young couple (early 20's) and have no children (so schools are not an issue). We absolutely love the beach and the ocean and that is one of our biggest draws to the area. Our questions are:

1. Is there a good amount of activities/nightlife for young people (this doesn't necessarily have to mean bars)? Examples would be appreciated!!!

2. Is Virginia Beach generally considered safe?

3. Are there plenty of job opportunities (this is something that has caused us to stop looking at a lot of other coastal communities)?

4. Does income and cost of living match up, or is the average income low/high compared to cost of living?

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds to this!

WOW what lies people feed you up here

You are young couple and you want to live on the water? WOW Virginia Beach is great for a couple... SAFETY YESS!! dont let the occasional crime here and there freak you out.. really.. Living by the water is amazing.. hotels are grreat.. restaraunts .. The fool who said things close at 9pm??? LIES!! noo most night clubs close around 3 some 4 and some 2 dependso n what you like.. if you like snorekling, mountain hiking, skiing, fishing, golfing, clubbing, concerts, working, sexing, romance, food, shopping, you can find it here in Hamptonroads. its no NYC of shoppin no where in America is I traveld over 23 states in USA and no shopping like NYC 's but of course NYC is no Paris either.. You looking for good pay there are great paying jobsi n hamptonroads if u have a degree.. and if you look har enough... whatever you and your girlfriend are into.. Paintball, rockclimbing.. foregn restaraunt eating.. good music concerts.. amusement parks, secluded parks, secluded beach front properties, (youre on the Atlantic Ocean for Heaven sake) movies, bars, poetry nights, arts and dance, festivals, theres lots to do depends on what youre into Virginia has it! like anyother place except bullriding but were no texas lol I mean give me some of your interest

Music u like

things u are into

I am 20/21 I know Virginia alongwith al ot of other places pretty well I can tell u dos and donts and likes/ dislikes

these people are military miserables!! up here people who are homesickl and hate the area just because.. dont allow there bitter groots to stop u from making your way to the hamptonroads Virginia area! really its not all that bad as they make it seem

Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridkid View Post
Figure I'd chime in... I currently live in Vienna (Fairfax), VA outside of the DC Metro area but I lived in VA Beach from 94-2004 before I went away to college. My family moved from Stamford, CT (subregion of NYC now) when I was around 14. My mother raised all three of us down there after my father died. I've seen the city change in some ways but then again, so has a lot of places. Change is good! I will say that growing up in VA Beach was a great experience mostly as a teenager. My biggest love was athletics and I was obsessed with playing basketball. One of the biggest things I loved about Va Beach growing up was the Recreational Centers. There was always a lot for us kids growing up..That is, until you turn 18 .

Another thing I really love about Va Beach is the ease in which you can create friendships with other cultures. I'm haitian-american...Born in Stamford. I'm a Yankee at heart. But I can truly say that my whole perception of people really changed when I came down here. I can truly say that my circle of friends that I consider family in Hampton Roads, they consisted of many different cultures..latin, philipino, black, white, middle-eastern..It was truly a beautiful thing growing up. I've been to several places and its incredibly hard to find that outside of big cities. Currently in DC, I STILL feel its divided in some ways across racial lines. The funniest thing is you don't even notice until you leave VA Beach and return. But on my last visit two weeks ago, I noticed that more with people our age, its even more prevalent how much people interact. I met a young woman on the Metro train a month ago who pointed this same thing out...couldn't believe she noticed the difference also compared to DC.

Now, my only drawback was the lack of work at the time. I went through a very tough growing process finding work. I didn't go to college straight out of high school and found out very quickly how tough it can be if you have nothing going for you . It can be very stagnant for anyone who didn't have a military background, etc.. Furthermore, it can be really slow at times. Don't expect to move to VA Beach expecting it to be anything near a major city or surrounding city that is influenced by such...It drove me crazy that we never had a professional sports team...As a sports nut, only that was tough. But, that being said its a great place to raise families. I have about two other mom's and aunts who aren't blood-related, countless others whom I consider brothers who aren't the same shade, and I literally cried when my mom sold our first house that I grew up half my life in. I'm 27 now and while I may have outgrown the town, I don't discount that its still a great place to live and raise a family if:

1) You have great income and specifically, if you can find a profitable niche
2) You are ready to experience the more family oriented life
3) You are looking for more of a balance in many areas of life (leisure, recreation, activities for children)

You should be ok with stuff to do for young couples. Downtown Norfolk is pretty cool and really, the area is more of a locals spot. It will take some time to probably find your nihce but I will say there are TONS of restaurants in the Va Beach area / square mile. That's impressive alone and I've visited tons of places. Keep in mind, when the summers come you still have the theme parks (Busch Gardens, Watercountry USA) and Williamsburg has stuff too. All mostly family oriented but if I as a young, single great looking guy enjoyed my time down there, chances are you will too Stay away from the main strip. I would urge you to find the "locals" beaches..I personally never go to the main strip unless we're meeting for dinner.

As far as danger, it depends. If you aren't the street smart type, thats ok..you won't be walking very much more than likely and there aren't too many places that I can envision you going where you have to "watch your back"... It never struck me as that type of town and I have been and seen it all..As well as lived through it. I use to live in Ocean Lakes but the area has changed a bit. If you are looking for a lot more land and want more countryside, cleaner air, more places for your kids to run dirtbikes, I'd suggest looking into the Pungo area. Areas of Kempsville and Salem are also very nice. Chesapeake was developing nicely when I use to live there also. But things start to change more as you start going West (Norfolk, Hampton, Suffolk, etc.)

But I will agree, housing has increased greatly and salaries have not increased nearly as much. Which is a HUGE reason why I could never go back to living there...I'm currently looking at San Diego

Thanks for an open honest post! San Diego thats nice good luck

If we could just raise the pay rates that would be great!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:39 AM

132 posts, read 659,305 times
How can you raise a "pay rate". The only way to increase the amount of higher paying jobs is to bring in large companies that create these jobs. VB is on the right track, but years away.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 AM

well the city can bring in larger companies but it has to consider its bases!! they rid the bases they can do that they havea base for each branch of the military! in all areas of Hamptonroads its not like that anywhere else! Virginia is a fairly large state yet its no Texas or California size its not the delaware or Rhode island size either

Big name companies means more people more people means more traffic congestion and so on its fine higher pay rates can be placed upon voting!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 PM

469 posts, read 1,866,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgal View Post
.. The fool who said things close at 9pm??? LIES!! noo most night clubs close around 3 some 4 and some 2 dependso n what you like..

...these people are military miserables!! up here people who are homesickl and hate the area just because.. dont allow there bitter groots to stop u from making your way to the hamptonroads Virginia area! really its not all that bad as they make it seem
First of all I have lived in Virginia Beach ALL MY LIFE. No, I am not in the military and "hate" this place because I am "homesick". If you would take the time to read my post thoroughly, you will see that I said most places close @ 9pm with the EXCEPTION of nightclubs and some restaurants.

Everybody who lives in this area, has their opinion about it. I've lived her all my life and think this place is BORING AS HELL. Most of the things you mentioned get boring after the first few go arounds, that's just my personal opinion.

Mountain hiking!? in Virginia Beach? Are you referring to Mt. Trashmore? I wouldn't really call that a true mountain. Skiing? It barely snows in Virginia Beach for me to make a snowball. Rockclimbing? I think you had too much fun in the Dick's Sporting good store.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 AM

I have lived here 35 yrs and it has changed alot,mostly for the good. Its a great area to raise a family,and has an excellent public school system(it there is such a thing). The only negative to VB is the inflated housing costs. The price of homes have doubled in the last 5 yrs,pricing many middle income people out of the market.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:29 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,854,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Mountain hiking!? in Virginia Beach? Are you referring to Mt. Trashmore? I wouldn't really call that a true mountain. Skiing? It barely snows in Virginia Beach for me to make a snowball. Rockclimbing? I think you had too much fun in the Dick's Sporting good store.

Hahaha! I love this! Where is there mountain hiking in HR? I would love to know! Unless you go out to the western part of VA not so much in VA Beach.....I guess I must have missed that one when I lived there!hehe!

Maybe the poster was talking about the Rock Gym in VB that is an indoor facility for rock climbing??? Again....the only rock climbing I did in VA was in the Shenandoah Mountains!

There are certain places to hike in HR but not in a mountain range!

Last edited by emeraldgirl; 03-06-2008 at 08:58 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 08:51 AM

"theres lots to do depends on what youre into Virginia has it! like anyother place except bullriding but were no texas lol I mean give me some of your interest "

Actually, There are are few rodeos every year at Princess Anne Park, and HR has become a regular stop on the PBR tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area