U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM

18 posts, read 35,232 times

Advertisements

Interested in learning about Fort Monroe as a residential area for a young professional couple with a small child. Is this a place to be interested in leasing a home for a 2 year stent of work in the area? Who lives there now? Interested in knowing if it is a vibrant, safe, fun place to live with beach access or is it deserted?
What are the homes like? Are they well maintained?
How close to Langley AFB? Any disadvantages to living there and if so, where are other areas that might be good possibilities for people that enjoy outdoor sports, need a safe area for children, and the ability to meet other families, near shopping, childcare, etc.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 09:57 AM

20,835 posts, read 28,543,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbovine View Post
Interested in learning about Fort Monroe as a residential area for a young professional couple with a small child. Is this a place to be interested in leasing a home for a 2 year stent of work in the area? Who lives there now? Interested in knowing if it is a vibrant, safe, fun place to live with beach access or is it deserted?
What are the homes like? Are they well maintained?
How close to Langley AFB? Any disadvantages to living there and if so, where are other areas that might be good possibilities for people that enjoy outdoor sports, need a safe area for children, and the ability to meet other families, near shopping, childcare, etc.
Thanks in advance for your help.
I've been to Ft Monroe a couple of times since it converted into a housing area and it has been pretty empty when I've gone albeit a little bit off-season (early October). I grew up in Hampton and have family who worked at Monroe before it closed. Some homes were better maintained than others from my observations.

I would be concerned more about what's next to Ft Monroe. The amenities aren't too close to Monroe and it borders Phoebus which is not the greatest area of Hampton. I think you would be best served looking into Michaels Woods which is super close to Langley but far better in terms of amenities and safety.

Does your child need public schools by the way?

Old 01-09-2017, 08:46 PM

926 posts, read 529,689 times
Look into Tabb or Poquoson. Close access to LAFB and very safe areas.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:54 PM

122 posts, read 51,625 times
I love Ft. Monroe! I've never been there at night, but it's awesome during the day. It's definitely fair to say it's quiet, but I do see families there (not a lot, but some). It gets more busy during the summer because of the beach. I'd totally live there!

Edited to add: But I'd rent first.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:03 PM

Default Thanks for the feedback

Good to know and I appreciate some opinions as we really know very little about the area. The child is a baby and won't be concerned with public schools, although Montessori preschool education might be a consideration if available. I will do a little more research on the other areas mentioned. Safety is a top concern, and for some reason, it seems to be a bit of an issue on these boards regarding the Hampton Roads area.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:25 AM

813 posts, read 579,739 times
Quote:
Good to know and I appreciate some opinions as we really know very little about the area. The child is a baby and won't be concerned with public schools, although Montessori preschool education might be a consideration if available. I will do a little more research on the other areas mentioned. Safety is a top concern, and for some reason, it seems to be a bit of an issue on these boards regarding the Hampton Roads area.
Crime in Hampton Roads is akin to every other metro of almost 2 million people, it mostly occurs in the BAD areas. The local TV news rolls out a cavalcade of shootings/crime every night and 90% of said crimes occur in about three areas of the metro. There are folks on these forums who delight in dragging things through the mud and insisting we are victims of some horrendous crime wave. There are also a few folks on these forums who think that defending this area from verbal abuse constitutes not being truthful about what really goes on here. They are easily identifiable if your regularly read these threads.
Fort Monroe is a beautiful piece of real estate.
Stay out of the bad parts and your life here will be rewarding on multiple levels.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Crime in Hampton Roads is akin to every other metro of almost 2 million people, it mostly occurs in the BAD areas. The local TV news rolls out a cavalcade of shootings/crime every night and 90% of said crimes occur in about three areas of the metro. There are folks on these forums who delight in dragging things through the mud and insisting we are victims of some horrendous crime wave. There are also a few folks on these forums who think that defending this area from verbal abuse constitutes not being truthful about what really goes on here. They are easily identifiable if your regularly read these threads.
Fort Monroe is a beautiful piece of real estate.
Stay out of the bad parts and your life here will be rewarding on multiple levels.

Thank you so much! I agree, bad things can happen anywhere and I am very positive that the Hampton Roads area of Va. will be a beautiful area to live and work. I do think that people should bloom where they are planted, and if this move occurs, I think it will be an area to enjoy and explore. I am sure there are lots of nice neighborhoods filled with productive, happy people as well! Planning to avoid the other areas for sure

Old 01-18-2017, 04:10 AM

813 posts, read 579,739 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! I agree, bad things can happen anywhere and I am very positive that the Hampton Roads area of Va. will be a beautiful area to live and work. I do think that people should bloom where they are planted, and if this move occurs, I think it will be an area to enjoy and explore. I am sure there are lots of nice neighborhoods filled with productive, happy people as well! Planning to avoid the other areas for sure
Welcome to town!

Old 03-04-2017, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I've been to Ft Monroe a couple of times since it converted into a housing area and it has been pretty empty when I've gone albeit a little bit off-season (early October). I grew up in Hampton and have family who worked at Monroe before it closed. Some homes were better maintained than others from my observations.

I would be concerned more about what's next to Ft Monroe. The amenities aren't too close to Monroe and it borders Phoebus which is not the greatest area of Hampton. I think you would be best served looking into Michaels Woods which is super close to Langley but far better in terms of amenities and safety.

Does your child need public schools by the way?
hope your not talking about the same Micheal's Woods ...in Newport News...

Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 PM

136 posts, read 66,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick and tired of this View Post
hope your not talking about the same Micheal's Woods ...in Newport News...
Michael's Woods is in Hampton, though on the border with NN. It's a decent area but it does seem to be getting a little more run down as it ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area