U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM

2,041 posts, read 2,468,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Like I've said to others...get out and see the world and you'll come back appreciating what you left!

I have moved hundreds of miles away and grew up in HR and lived there most of my life.........I don't regret leaving one bit. While there are some things that I love about the area, for the most part I have never been happier after moving away! The HR area is just not for everyone. I am happy for those that have a great love and appreciation for the location but now that I have seen what other citites have to offer....I am not running back to VA anytime soon. There is good and bad about any location, I just happened to find a place that I have seen more good aspects in comparison to HR. It is all a personal viewpoint what makes a comfortable lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:52 PM

3,508 posts, read 8,769,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
I have moved hundreds of miles away and grew up in HR and lived there most of my life.........I don't regret leaving one bit. While there are some things that I love about the area, for the most part I have never been happier after moving away! The HR area is just not for everyone. I am happy for those that have a great love and appreciation for the location but now that I have seen what other citites have to offer....I am not running back to VA anytime soon. There is good and bad about any location, I just happened to find a place that I have seen more good aspects in comparison to HR. It is all a personal viewpoint what makes a comfortable lifestyle.
Okay, that is reasonable, and I accept your viewpoint (not like you need my approval), but you are like me...I would not move back to where I came from if my life depended on it and that is understandable, but I won't pick my hometown apart either. Those that stayed, stayed for a reason, whether being in a comfort zone, family responsibilities or whatnot. I just prefer to say, I won't live there. A comfortable lifestyle is what we all look for naturally.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 649 times
So is cost of living really that bad in this area? I've been thinking about moving to this area but this could be a deal breaker.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM

368 posts, read 432,295 times
Mrs_tlee, I think it depends on where you're coming from. For us, the cost of living here is lower than in several other places we've lived. We're a family of six and living comfortably in a nice area of Newport News on a single salary--the option to be a single-income family wouldn't be open to us in many other areas of the country.

I think, overall, the military presence in the area keeps the cost of housing a little overly inflated, but it also ensures a fairly stable housing market. We've been here for four years now and have been happy with Hampton Roads.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:39 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,461,388 times
Mrs_tle, if you must be employed when you move here, get your job lined up before you move. This is not the best job market unless you've got skills & training that defense contractors need.

I think that living in Newport News or Hampton is different than living in Virginia Beach or the other places on the other side of the water.

I have lived in Central Va. & the Shenandoah Valley. I prefer those areas to the Hampton Roads area. But like anywhere, there are good things and bad things about this area. My daughter plays field hockey and this area is great if you've got a daughter who wants to play this sport.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:59 AM

1,131 posts, read 856,817 times
Well, I moved away from Virginia Beach in 2001 and still visit 3-4 times a year. I was born there and lived there for 28 years. I only moved to go away to school and leave a bad relationship (I wasn't yet married). I have great memories, for the most part, of Tidewater. I miss Va. Beach and the Chesapeake Bay. I would definately move back!

For the thread starter: I enjoyed reading about you living in Suffolk. I grew up in Va. Beach and live now in a similar city on the coast. I always like the suburbs/city, and could not see living for a minute in the country or a rural place. It seems it would be so boring! But, I liked some of the things you talked about in Suffolk and Franklin and it was nice reading it.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:11 PM

40 posts, read 18,614 times
I don't care for the heat and humidity of summer in the Tidewater area or the cold damp winters. We do have some nice spring and fall weather. Most of Va. is also far to overpopulated and developed to suit me. One of the worst things is the high personal property tax, they tax you on anything they can track every year. You feel like you only rent your car, pick-up, motorcycle, boat, trailer, airplane, RV from the county. They also will stick it to you with speed traps and that 20mph reckless driving thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area