Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:01 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
All I wanted was a simple answer from you but I guess you cant do that you have to use charts and stats etc.....so I guess I will do the same.......Want to talk about Balt......fine here is the info I fould from the first site I happened to look at this morning.....Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You want to live in a city offering those stats please be my guest

I back up everything I say with charts and stats. Why would I not? Living wage is not "my opinion" it is factual.

As for the reason why Baltimores wages tend to shift down the scale and the unemployment is high is probably because of this

Percent of residents with a high school degree or higher

Baltimore- 68.4%
Virginia Beach- 90.4%

However, if you check out your link, dispite this huge gap in education, Baltimore still has a higher percent of people employed in professional and related occupations and higher paying production jobs, while Virginia Beach has low paying sales, office and maintenance jobs. If you were to ad in the surrounding high dollar suburbs, where all the wealthy Baltimore residents live, managerial and professional jobs would no doubt dwarf Virginia Beach.

As for household incomes, thats a joke. Thats more correlated with number of working adults per household then anything else.

57% of Virginia Beach residents are married, while only 32% of Baltimore residents are married. That would explain that.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:37 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I back up everything I say with charts and stats. Why would I not? Living wage is not "my opinion" it is factual.

As for the reason why Baltimores wages tend to shift down the scale and the unemployment is high is probably because of this

Percent of residents with a high school degree or higher

Baltimore- 68.4%
Virginia Beach- 90.4%

However, if you check out your link, dispite this huge gap in education, Baltimore still has a higher percent of people employed in professional and related occupations and higher paying production jobs, while Virginia Beach has low paying sales, office and maintenance jobs. If you were to ad in the surrounding high dollar suburbs, where all the wealthy Baltimore residents live, managerial and professional jobs would no doubt dwarf Virginia Beach.

As for household incomes, thats a joke. Thats more correlated with number of working adults per household then anything else.

57% of Virginia Beach residents are married, while only 32% of Baltimore residents are married. That would explain that.

Excuse me? this chart shows Va Bch has more higher paying jobs then Baltimore in every category....Almost 1/4 of the population of Baltimore makes less then 15K a year where almost 1/4 of the population in Va Bch makes at between 50-75K a year....Just because some jobs are classified as professional does not mean they are high paying positions

Last edited by rtandc; 07-02-2009 at 08:56 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 11:03 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,488 times
Quote:
All I wanted was a simple answer from you but I guess you cant do that you have to use charts and stats etc.....so I guess I will do the same.......Want to talk about Balt......fine here is the info I fould from the first site I happened to look at this morning.....Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You want to live in a city offering those stats please be my guest
F' baltimourge. Why are you even mentioning that place?

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:32 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Excuse me? this chart shows Va Bch has more higher paying jobs then Baltimore in every category....

No, thats NOT what your chart says. Your chart is showing what the citizenry of Baltimore is employed doing

The majority of higher end jobs in Baltimore are worked by people who live OUTSIDE of Baltimore in the posh suburbs. What largely lives in the city limits of Baltimore are poorly educated (less then 70% have a high school diploma) and low skilled individuals.

Even that said, that poorly educated and skilled Baltimore work force is employed in good jobs at a comparitable rate to Virginia Beach. That pretty much is stating that it takes a Virginia Beach resident far more education and training to get the same job, paying less, then a Baltimore resident.

Quote:
Almost 1/4 of the population of Baltimore makes less then 15K a year where almost 1/4 of the population in Va Bch makes at between 50-75K a year....Just because some jobs are classified as professional does not mean they are high paying positions
Almost 1/4 of HOUSEHOLDS make between 50-75k a year. Again, this is largely a result of DUAL INCOME HOUSEHOLDS. Did you completely miss the statistic I displayed showing 57% of Va Beach adults were married, while only 32% of Baltimore adults were?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:13 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post

Almost 1/4 of HOUSEHOLDS make between 50-75k a year. Again, this is largely a result of DUAL INCOME HOUSEHOLDS. Did you completely miss the statistic I displayed showing 57% of Va Beach adults were married, while only 32% of Baltimore adults were?

Oh I get now Hampton Roads suck because people are married, and Baltimore does not because most people are single.......Good logic there bud....LOL.....your grasping for straws that are not even there...I guess this thread is done as far as my replies if that is all you have

Old 07-02-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Oh I get now Hampton Roads suck because people are married, and Baltimore does not because most people are single.......Good logic there bud....LOL.....your grasping for straws that are not even there...I guess this thread is done as far as my replies if that is all you have

No, now you are creating straw men.

What Im saying is that household income statistics are worthless because its comparing apples to oranges. Of course Baltimore household incomes are going to be lower, they have fewer dual income households, a great deal fewer.

Household incomes have nothing to do with per capita median wage.

The fact that Virginia Beach has a higher marriage rate then Baltimore is immaterial to whether its a better city based on job prospects.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:33 AM

11 posts, read 33,752 times
I don't hate it here, i'm just bored as heck!!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:31 AM

69 posts, read 232,104 times
i love hampton roads. i love the sight of rent-a-centers and check cashing places on every other corner. it really speaks for where this place is headed!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:46 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,488 times
HAH MARS Music Closes, becomes a THRIFT STORE. Then the thrift store goes out of business. Go figure :-)

Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM

388 posts, read 855,977 times
You know I thought that I hated it there in Hampton Roads, But you know now I can honostly say that I like it there!! I made the mistake of moving to Lucedale, Ms. and man do I HATE it. I am truly a city boy! THERE is Nothing here! We are wanting to move back as soon as we have the money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area