U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:31 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,271,258 times

Advertisements

Credit to Goofy328, Waterside is re-opening on May 4, 2017.

Sounds great, I saw many cool concerts years ago at Waterside, it was a cool place.

Sounds, like they will "make Norfolk great again"! I look forward to visiting and checking out Waterside when I can. I love Chipotle and they will be there too.

April 24, 2017
Chipotle Joining Waterside District
Pioneering fast casual restaurant, Chipotle Mexican Grill, is coming to Waterside District! Chipotle will offer its menu of burritos, tacos, burrito bowls, and salads made from fresh, high-quality ingredients, prepared using classic cooking methods and served in its signature interactive style, allowing people to get exactly what they want. Chipotle seeks out extraordinary ingredients that are not only fresh, but that are raised responsibly, with respect for the animals, land, and people who produce them. Chipotle prepares its food using whole, unprocessed ingredients and without the use of added colors, flavors or other additives. Chipotle will be located at the street-side entrance to The Market and will open summer 2017.
Come Play at The Yard at Waterside District
The Yard will be one of many options for socializing and having fun at Waterside District. Located outside of Blue Moon TapHouse and overlooking the water, The Yard will entertain families and friends from day to night. The open, flexible space will offer lawn games, as well as private event seating areas for small and large groups. After a day at the office, stop by The Yard to lounge by fire pits and enjoy food and drinks from Blue Moon TapHouse. Feeling more competitive? Challenge friends to oversized lawn games like Jenga, cornhole, ping pong, bocce ball, or cruise ship shuffleboard.
Keeping Up with Activities & Concerts
Want to know what’s happening at Waterside District? The latest activities, concerts and events can always be found by visiting the Events section of Norfolk's Revitalized Waterfront | Waterside District and/or Waterside District’s Facebook page.

(Taken from Waterside Media Updates & District News)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 05:42 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,622,176 times
I'm just hoping the fudgery is as good as I remember lol

Old 05-02-2017, 06:15 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,705,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'm just hoping the fudgery is as good as I remember lol
WARNING: Even if you sing along with the fudgemakers they aren't giving your free samples!

Old 05-03-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
WARNING: Even if you sing along with the fudgemakers they aren't giving your free samples!
Ugh...

Old 05-07-2017, 01:59 AM

107 posts, read 240,690 times
i checked it out Saturday and was impressed. The inside is modern and no longer looks like a 1980's mini mall. The crowds were a little younger than I expected but there was a good vibe down there. I was also impressed by all the remodeling done in the surrounding area. A Tides game was going on which made the city look brighter. The Granby street areaand the area around city hall had people walking around but were still too dead to be "downtown". I don't know what else Norfolk can do to sell itself but they have all the ingredients to be a lively area.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:48 AM

They need to keep the fights out.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:59 AM

4,785 posts, read 4,413,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
i checked it out Saturday and was impressed. The inside is modern and no longer looks like a 1980's mini mall. The crowds were a little younger than I expected but there was a good vibe down there. I was also impressed by all the remodeling done in the surrounding area. A Tides game was going on which made the city look brighter. The Granby street areaand the area around city hall had people walking around but were still too dead to be "downtown". I don't know what else Norfolk can do to sell itself but they have all the ingredients to be a lively area.
Eventually Downtown will reach capacity. And then Norfolk will have to take a serious look at either expanding Downtown, or building up other areas to create an urban core that is like Downtown, but not really. The construction of mid rise condominiums up and down Monticello is a good start. If they can clean up Church street and do the same, that would go a long way.

Norfolk is unique in that, in some other cities, Downtown would extend out to the Lafayette River. That is not exactly the case in Norfolk. Not taking anything away from Ghent or those other areas, but I think that this is the future of Norfolk. You might not necessarily have the aesthetic of downtown out that far, but I do think that those areas will eventually become more vertical. The housing projects are not going anywhere. But they may not necessarily have to. Other cities have successfully worked around these types of issues in the past.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:10 PM

926 posts, read 529,689 times
Expensive parking and cheap public transportation are going to lead Waterside down the same path it took 15 years ago: It will be filled with broke thugs that keep decent people away.

Norfolk. Not even once.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:41 AM

107 posts, read 240,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Norfolk is unique in that, in some other cities, Downtown would extend out to the Lafayette River. That is not exactly the case in Norfolk. Not taking anything away from Ghent or those other areas, but I think that this is the future of Norfolk. You might not necessarily have the aesthetic of downtown out that far, but I do think that those areas will eventually become more vertical. The housing projects are not going anywhere. But they may not necessarily have to. Other cities have successfully worked around these types of issues in the past.
I think Park Place can continue to be redeveloped like with Monticello and as you mentioned Church St. Tidewater Park is sitting on valuable land but lie you mentioned other cities just deal with it. Chicago had one of the largest ghettos sitting right inside of downtown with Cabrini Green.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 AM

4,785 posts, read 4,413,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
I think Park Place can continue to be redeveloped like with Monticello and as you mentioned Church St. Tidewater Park is sitting on valuable land but lie you mentioned other cities just deal with it. Chicago had one of the largest ghettos sitting right inside of downtown with Cabrini Green.
All of the cities have done it. There will always be some poor in Norfolk. Just the way that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area