U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,543 times

Advertisements

Hello, interested in Virginia Beach area. I presently live in St Augustine Beach by the ocean, although spent 20 years in SanDiego, and trying to find that culture on the east coast, even tried Delaware beaches. The humidity is a problem here and the culture very different. Wondering where are the quiet condos in that area, since planes would bother me.Also, how convenient is the public transportation if I decide not to drive. I hear the rail was voted down, but may still come with private investment since it is right outside the city. Are people concerned about the environment there?

Last edited by Rperross; 05-31-2017 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: Virginia Beach added

Old 05-31-2017, 06:29 PM

9,290 posts, read 16,648,807 times
Here is the thread that covers Va. Beach. http://www.city-data.com/forum/hampton-roads-area/

Old 06-01-2017, 04:37 AM

5,988 posts, read 9,210,749 times
If planes bother you then VA Beach may not be for you. And the humidity can be just as bad here as Fla. I'm from FLA and VA is not much different weather wise. Biggest difference is that summer is shorter here.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:17 AM

3,508 posts, read 3,770,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rperross View Post
Hello, interested in Virginia Beach area. I presently live in St Augustine Beach by the ocean, although spent 20 years in SanDiego, and trying to find that culture on the east coast, even tried Delaware beaches. The humidity is a problem here and the culture very different. Wondering where are the quiet condos in that area, since planes would bother me.Also, how convenient is the public transportation if I decide not to drive. I hear the rail was voted down, but may still come with private investment since it is right outside the city. Are people concerned about the environment there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If planes bother you then VA Beach may not be for you.
Re: plane noise. OP, because of Naval Air Station Oceana, there is a significant amount of plane noise in VA Beach.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:58 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,700,065 times
Here is the website for Hampton Roads Transit.
- Hampton Roads Transit - Bus, trolley, light rail, and ferry transportation, routes, schedules, rates and contacts.

I live on the peninsula. But here, public transportation via the bus exists, but I would not want to be relying on it for all the time. The buses do not run frequently. From what I have observed, there are few stops with shelter.

Good luck.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 4,543 times
Are there any areas that are not in the path of the planes? Or is it everywhere?

Old 06-06-2017, 06:53 AM

275 posts, read 228,569 times
I lived in the Town Center area for four months and never once had an issue with jet noise. Some areas, like Hilltop (directly in the approach path for NASO) will get a lot of noise.

https://gisapps.vbgov.com/map/

Select the "Layer List" and turn on the AICUZ (Air Installation Compatible Use Zone) layer. You can adjust the transparency to get a better look at what streets coincide with the highest-noise areas.

To summarize the AICUZ map, you will be okay (little to no impact from jet noise) in the following areas:

- Anywhere west of Rosemont
- The entire Shore Drive corridor
- Most of Little Neck
- Great Neck north of First Colonial
- North end of Oceanfront, starting around 50th~55th Street and above
- SE corner of VB: Pungo, Sandbridge
- Heron Ridge and Signature at West Neck golf courses

I currently live in a 60 dB area (near the corner of Nimmo & Upton) and it's not really an issue here.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:01 PM

107 posts, read 240,690 times
The Birdneck/South Beach area would cover a lot of what you want except jet noise is very loud in the area.

I would look into the Shore Drive area also but public transportation will not be a reliable way to get around.

VB does not have a good public transportation at all and long time residents are very reluctant to change that. It is one of the top frustrating issues that we have here.

Come and chat with us on the HR forums for more info.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,622,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rperross View Post
Are there any areas that are not in the path of the planes? Or is it everywhere?
Yea there are plenty of areas without jet noise.

Public transportation in this area sucks, that's the only way to put it. However, no there will not be light rail in VAB. We voted on it, end of story, it's not happening.

I don't think the humidity is as bad here as it is in Florida, but I've only vacationed there, never lived there.

As for the environment define care about it. I think people care if they are directly impacted in one way or another, but just for the greater good then nah.

I have however lived in San Diego and the culture here is nothing like the West coast.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:54 AM

393 posts, read 279,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Re: plane noise. OP, because of Naval Air Station Oceana, there is a significant amount of plane noise in VA Beach.
I live close to Oceana. There is not a significant amount of noise everywhere, all the time in VAB from NAS Oceana.
I had more jet noise when I lived in McLean from jets approaching National Airport.

Also the humidity was worse in McLean, VA than here in VAB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area