U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 AM

224 posts, read 99,297 times

Advertisements

Norfolk is only dangerous to people from Norfolk. I've lived in Baltimore, Philly, DC, Norfolk, Richmond ect. I lived in Norfolk for 3 years and never had one single problem. I still have friends in Park Place, Huntersville and Norview. Heck, I lived in OV and Titustown. Sketchy as hell...yes, definitely. Dangerous? Not anymore so than any urban area. Crime is in no way rampant in Norfolk. Does Norfolk have more crime than VA Beach? Sure...but Richmond has more crime than Henrico. DC has more crime than Fairfax...Philly has more crime than King of Prussia ect ect. There is nothing particularly dangerous enough about Norfolk to discourage the exploration of the area. I mean Norfolk isn't even close to being the most dangerous city in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 AM

4,844 posts, read 4,580,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Norfolk is only dangerous to people from Norfolk. I've lived in Baltimore, Philly, DC, Norfolk, Richmond ect. I lived in Norfolk for 3 years and never had one single problem. I still have friends in Park Place, Huntersville and Norview. Heck, I lived in OV and Titustown. Sketchy as hell...yes, definitely. Dangerous? Not anymore so than any urban area. Crime is in no way rampant in Norfolk. Does Norfolk have more crime than VA Beach? Sure...but Richmond has more crime than Henrico. DC has more crime than Fairfax...Philly has more crime than King of Prussia ect ect. There is nothing particularly dangerous enough about Norfolk to discourage the exploration of the area. I mean Norfolk isn't even close to being the most dangerous city in the state.
You understand what I'm talking about. It's all relative there is only so much you can do not to have any problems. It's fate, it is what it is 99% of most people worrying about what may happen to them will never have any problems. And a lot of people that are having problems, are living that life; if you're afraid it is a self-fulling prophecy if you use common sense and go on about your business you'll be fine.

I'm just stating that people seem to have some fascination with urban decay like they're photojournalists or something. Some areas are worth checking out; take pictures of Detroit's half torn down neighborhoods while you still can, or check out an abandoned shopping mall. But for most of what one has to do they simply did not need to be in that neighborhood at that time when there were better options elsewhere. I guess, if you never lived in such an area you would have a fixation on it and want to know what it is about. But even then Norfolk does not have the type of areas you'll find in cities like Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, or New York back in the seventies so I really do not get what the fixation on Norfolk is all about, unless you've never left Hampton Roads and don't know anything.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:30 AM

927 posts, read 566,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
yea, Norfolk is armed and dangerous and you will surely be eviscerated upon arrival..give it a rest dude, you'll never reach the heights of Coconut1...
The Ivory Tower princess strikes again.

Realism does not equal pessimism.

It's a fact that Norfolk has a MUCH higher violent crime rate than most cities.

I do not understand why some soccer mom, who lives in a small town that is 91% white and 1% black, who has no experience with Norfolk, or any bad neighborhood, likes to chime in.

How about you go spend a day in Berkley, Park Place, Little Texas, or one of the other fine high-crime areas spread around Norfolk. Your attitude on Norfolk would change.

Posts like OP's give people a false impression, and those not familiar with the area might waltz into Norfolk thinking it's all sunshine and rainbows.

Yes, you'll more than likely be fine in places like Ghent and Downtown, but wander too far and you can end up getting hurt. It has happened to many, many people, and there are some people on this forum who don't like to talk about it.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post

I do not understand why some soccer mom, who lives in a small town that is 91% white and 1% black, who has no experience with Norfolk, or any bad neighborhood, likes to chime in.

How about you go spend a day in Berkley, Park Place, Little Texas, or one of the other fine high-crime areas spread around Norfolk. Your attitude on Norfolk would change.

Posts like OP's give people a false impression, and those not familiar with the area might waltz into Norfolk thinking it's all sunshine and rainbows.

Yes, you'll more than likely be fine in places like Ghent and Downtown, but wander too far and you can end up getting hurt. It has happened to many, many people, and there are some people on this forum who don't like to talk about it.
The OP was disrespectful. He or she makes an assumption because you don't have the problems that you have in Atlanta. So Norfolk is on their urban renewal thing. What should we allow the place to look like neighborhoods in Baltimore? People don't realize how stupid they sound when the words are coming out of their mouth.

But that's okay. Tourists are idiots. They don't mind getting online talking slick about their experiences but they would never do that in person. It is what it is.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:11 AM

224 posts, read 99,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
You understand what I'm talking about. It's all relative there is only so much you can do not to have any problems. It's fate, it is what it is 99% of most people worrying about what may happen to them will never have any problems. And a lot of people that are having problems, are living that life; if you're afraid it is a self-fulling prophecy if you use common sense and go on about your business you'll be fine.

I'm just stating that people seem to have some fascination with urban decay like they're photojournalists or something. Some areas are worth checking out; take pictures of Detroit's half torn down neighborhoods while you still can, or check out an abandoned shopping mall. But for most of what one has to do they simply did not need to be in that neighborhood at that time when there were better options elsewhere. I guess, if you never lived in such an area you would have a fixation on it and want to know what it is about. But even then Norfolk does not have the type of areas you'll find in cities like Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, or New York back in the seventies so I really do not get what the fixation on Norfolk is all about, unless you've never left Hampton Roads and don't know anything.
Point taken. I do have an issue with people who have some weird fascination with touring the 'hood'. I had an acquaintance from Chantilly who moved to Richmond and asked me to take them on a "tour of the bad neighborhoods" so that they could see "how the other side lives". It was really off putting. Bad neighborhoods aren't a zoo and If that is your attitude toward visiting a city then it is better and safer for you to stick to what you know. However, I don't feel like that was what the poster was getting at here. I feel like they were just saying that they were surprised by how nice Norfolk was compared to everything they had read here. That is my main issue. We have posters here that make Norfolk out to be Baghdad and that is hardly the case. To me you do potential movers or visitors a disservice by painting this unrealistically bleak picture of Norfolk. You see people make comments about how dangerous apartment complexes are in VA beach but at the same time wont mention that when compared to a real dangerous city the neighborhood is probably more working class than dangerous. It happens in the NOVA forums as well. Does Norfolk have some sketchy areas? Yes, but to act like the random passer by stopping at a convenience store on Church or Tidewater is going to be a victim of crime is dishonest. Norfolk is not Petersburg. Heck there is far more crime in Richmond but we don't tell visitors that they should stick to Short Pump and not explore the city. There is crime in every city but anyone with any sense of street smarts will in no way feel uneasy about exploring Norfolk. I mean, heck, one poster literally said 80% of Norfolk is bad. Eighty percent??? That reads like Norfolk is one of the worst cities in the Nation. Eighty percent of Baltimore isn't even bad areas. It's disingenuous and to someone not from here it literally sounds like Norfolk is a place to be avoided. That's my only problem. It is a good thing for people to enjoy visiting your city.

Last edited by mpier015; 07-03-2017 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Point taken. I do have an issue with people who have some weird fascination with touring the 'hood'. I had an acquaintance from Chantilly who moved to Richmond and asked me to take them on a "tour of the bad neighborhoods" so that they could see "how the other side lives". It was really off putting. Bad neighborhoods aren't a zoo and If that is your attitude toward visiting a city then it is better and safer for you to stick to what you know. However, I don't feel like that was what the poster was getting at here. I feel like they were just saying that they were surprised by how nice Norfolk was compared to everything they had read here. That is my main issue. We have posters here that make Norfolk out to be Baghdad and that is hardly the case. To me you do potential movers or visitors a disservice by painting this unrealistically bleak picture of Norfolk. You see people make comments about how dangerous apartment complexes are in VA beach but at the same time wont mention that when compared to a real dangerous city the neighborhood is probably more working class than dangerous. It happens in the NOVA forums as well. Does Norfolk have some sketchy areas? Yes, but to act like the random passer by stopping at a convenience store on Church or Tidewater is going to be a victim of crime is dishonest. Norfolk is not Petersburg. Heck there is far more crime in Richmond but we don't tell visitors that they should stick to Short Pump and not explore the city. There is crime in every city but anyone with any sense of street smarts will in no way feel uneasy about exploring Norfolk.
We're on the same page. I took it that way as well. I've been in Atlanta and it definitely has some neighborhoods that you might take pause to. I would only proceed if I knew someone that lives there. Downtown is okay but it gets sketchy after hours, no different than anywhere else.

When I first moved here, I heard so much _ about South Norfolk, Norfolk, Hampton, and Newport News that gets in your head I wasn't entirely sure. But then I lived in South Norfolk and it was cool; depressing, but never anything I was in fear of. Newport News was a little darker but from what I gathered, if you stayed out of the housing projects you were okay. No different from Portsmouth.

Part of it is the media. Where was Norfolk on that top 30 list? Number 28. And what was that rate. 12 out of 100,000. And why does 12 out of 100,000 qualify you to be in the top 30 anyway? Back in the nineties 12 out of 100,000 wouldn't even get you into the top 50. Things are just a lot different now then they were back in the day.

I would have loved to know what 12 out of 100,000 felt like when I was in Dayton, OH. That is a breath of fresh air to some people. They don't realize how good they have it in their own little bubble.

Petersburg is number 6 on the Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed. Only other city on the list I see is Portsmouth, at number 16. Missouri is no slouch either.

Last edited by Yac; 08-02-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 11:45 PM

21,314 posts, read 29,248,558 times
Quote:
Point taken. I do have an issue with people who have some weird fascination with touring the 'hood'. I had an acquaintance from Chantilly who moved to Richmond and asked me to take them on a "tour of the bad neighborhoods" so that they could see "how the other side lives". It was really off putting. Bad neighborhoods aren't a zoo and If that is your attitude toward visiting a city then it is better and safer for you to stick to what you know. However, I don't feel like that was what the poster was getting at here. I feel like they were just saying that they were surprised by how nice Norfolk was compared to everything they had read here. That is my main issue. We have posters here that make Norfolk out to be Baghdad and that is hardly the case. To me you do potential movers or visitors a disservice by painting this unrealistically bleak picture of Norfolk. You see people make comments about how dangerous apartment complexes are in VA beach but at the same time wont mention that when compared to a real dangerous city the neighborhood is probably more working class than dangerous. It happens in the NOVA forums as well. Does Norfolk have some sketchy areas? Yes, but to act like the random passer by stopping at a convenience store on Church or Tidewater is going to be a victim of crime is dishonest. Norfolk is not Petersburg. Heck there is far more crime in Richmond but we don't tell visitors that they should stick to Short Pump and not explore the city. There is crime in every city but anyone with any sense of street smarts will in no way feel uneasy about exploring Norfolk. I mean, heck, one poster literally said 80% of Norfolk is bad. Eighty percent??? That reads like Norfolk is one of the worst cities in the Nation. Eighty percent of Baltimore isn't even bad areas. It's disingenuous and to someone not from here it literally sounds like Norfolk is a place to be avoided. That's my only problem. It is a good thing for people to enjoy visiting your city.
I agree fully with this. I'm in Baltimore all the time and usually have a good time when I'm there. Yes, I'd be hesitant to live there full-time, but I've gone to events in areas that weren't the harbor (EDM is huge in West Baltimore apparently) and with street smarts I'm not going to assume the place is as dangerous as Afghanistan. I grew up in Hampton. Wouldn't live there now but not the worst place in the world. Norfolk has seen better days in some hoods but overall a decent place still. Louisville, KY, yes the West End has more crime but met great people there and had some great shows and great food there. The average American will not have a crime committed against them because they spend 30 seconds in an area that has a bad reputation.

Don't even get me started on the NoVA forums. There are places I would not want to live here but it is more due to personal preferences (I work in Fairfax but would never live there) but crime is not a worry I have living here. But some posters make it seem like if you are living in Woodbridge or Alexandria and sending your kids to the schools there, it is like sending them to combat in Iraq, when the worst thing that may happen is they will become more sensitive to the racism that people of color face on a daily basis (oh the horror.)

Old 07-04-2017, 01:25 AM

1,495 posts, read 916,624 times
I really was only being complementary of your great city. I felt like it was not getting a fair shake here and other places. I am a native of Atlanta (another brave and beautiful city with quite a few places that you would not exactly "show to company"). And, no, I did not drive about "seeking the hood". I genuinely feel that Norfolk is a lovely town that has a "perception" problem. The Norfolk community has many plusses and amenities; "talk it up". ;0)

Old 07-04-2017, 02:09 AM

852 posts, read 618,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post

I do not understand....your description of me mirrors your thoughts, wildly untrue, 100%
I told you a long time ago I would call you out for your irrational negativity and that's what I did dude, and will continue to do as the opportunity arises.
Pathetic, defensive and idiotic post.

Ba Bam.....

Moderator-if you got rid of Coconut1 please consider doing the same with this one. This forum became much more relevant with the exit of certain posters, let's not slip back into that dark time. It does no good and benefits no one.
As you can see, this poster has hijacked an otherwise complimentary post about this area by defaming it and all the posts after his/hers have certainly veered away from what the OP had in mind.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 07-04-2017 at 02:27 AM..

Old 07-04-2017, 02:12 AM

852 posts, read 618,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I really was only being complementary of your great city. I felt like it was not getting a fair shake here and other places. I am a native of Atlanta (another brave and beautiful city with quite a few places that you would not exactly "show to company"). And, no, I did not drive about "seeking the hood". I genuinely feel that Norfolk is a lovely town that has a "perception" problem. The Norfolk community has many plusses and amenities; "talk it up". ;0)
Thanks for your rational thoughts, sometimes we have problems with irrationality on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area