Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:42 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,457,627 times

Advertisements

The OP never came back. I'm in Massachusetts, not the urban type though. I found that Hampton Rds was not for me. Too much military, way too much traffic, suburban sprawl, few decent restaurants and a lot of junk food places. There are some cultural things to do in Norfolk but I would choose Williamsburg to live in. That bay bridge is a killer and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it.

The beach isn't like Massachusetts beaches--the beach is crammed with hotels and is not scenic and natural.

The positives for me were the mild winter climate and lots of shopping. That's about it! Luckily, I have family there so that's why I go there. The summers are killers and I thought I would die. But those winters are lovely. Maybe there are urban type liberal communities with beaches in Maryland? I don't know. Coastal North Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 06:59 PM

1,744 posts, read 2,370,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The OP never came back. I'm in Massachusetts, not the urban type though. I found that Hampton Rds was not for me. Too much military, way too much traffic, suburban sprawl, few decent restaurants and a lot of junk food places. There are some cultural things to do in Norfolk but I would choose Williamsburg to live in. That bay bridge is a killer and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it.

The beach isn't like Massachusetts beaches--the beach is crammed with hotels and is not scenic and natural.

The positives for me were the mild winter climate and lots of shopping. That's about it! Luckily, I have family there so that's why I go there. The summers are killers and I thought I would die. But those winters are lovely. Maybe there are urban type liberal communities with beaches in Maryland? I don't know. Coastal North Carolina?
Check out coastal Delaware, particularly around Rehoboth Beach area. Traffic is horrid in the summer though. Delaware is considered one of the top states in which to retire due to the favorable taxes, if you are in that age bracket. There is also a generally favorable job market due to industry attracted by DE corporate tax advantages. School hiring varies http://jobs.joindelawareschools.org/Browse-Jobs/, There are several state parks along the ocean beaches if you like your beaches undeveloped (though lots of visitors during the high season). Entry is free for DE residents.

Chincoteague Virginia is a beach access area with relatively modest buildup and protected wild areas along the seashore in nearby Assateague. Ditto for the North Carolina Outer Banks (OBX) south of Nags Head. Chincoteague and OBX are great if you enjoy a low key beach vibe, but don't really have that much in terms of cultural activities. Rehoboth area in DE is known for good restaurants, liberal vibe and lots of cultural opportunities. Summers are milder in terms of heat and humidity than NC and not nearly so many hard hits from tropical storms and hurricanes. Somewhat higher cost of living than VA and NC.

Maryland's Ocean City has heavy traffic and is more similar to the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:49 AM

795 posts, read 1,000,251 times
bla,bla,bla

Old 08-31-2017, 05:50 AM

998 posts, read 1,239,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
bla,bla,bla
Thank you, my sentiments exactly.....

Old 08-31-2017, 11:21 AM

312 posts, read 351,997 times
The OP seems to be gone, but, just in case she checks back...

You might also want to consider the potential salary differences between teaching in MA and teaching in VA. I used to teach in upstate NY where I was paid a salary appropriate to a professional. The starting salaries for teachers in VA, for lack of better phrase...give me pause.

I love the weather and beaches in VA. Culturally, though, it's a big shift from the NE.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:30 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,394,153 times
What I fail to understand is why people cannot accept that Hampton Roads is a MSA with 1.7 million residents.

If you don't want city living, then forget about Hampton Roads. Don't even post in the forum. Maybe people have a warped understanding of what Hampton Roads is. I don't go the Cleveland forum complaining about urban living or looking for country, rural living. I don't go to the Atlanta forum with the same thing in mind. I don't go to the Pittsburgh forum and complain about the terrain. Maybe I'm clueless.

News alert; there are actual cities in Virginia, real metropolitan areas! I'm not from here, but it amuses me the number of threads in this forum about how the area is too urban, too suburban, too this, too that.

I came here, knowing absolutely nothing about the state. Wasn't exactly what I had in mind but wasn't that bad either. Best kept secret in the country. Not sure if that is intentional or not. Sometimes I have to wonder. But it is interesting.

I used to think that if it were a single city people might start taking notice, only because the way that the area would be described in the media and the grapevine would change. Biggest city in Virginia. Comparisons of Hampton Roads to Fairfax County. People would have something new to talk about.

But would that be disingenuous? I'm not sure if it even matters anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area