U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 04:21 PM

7 posts, read 3,716 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area relatively soon. I am a MA native, and currently live about an hour from Boston and love it. I am looking for a change though now and would love to be even closer to the beach, while hopefully not sacrificing all I love about living in a relatively urban area.

I just turned 30, not married, no kids, looking for a nice, affordable but hopefully comfortable apartment. I am looking to be within 20 minutes from the beach, but also somewhere with a bigger city feel. Mostly I want to live somewhere where there are things to do, good restaurants and nightlife. Also, somewhere with a diverse population, and a more liberal-minded crowd.

I would be looking for a restaurant/bar industry job for the summer and to keep on part-time, as I am a teacher. I'd like to know the relative availability and ease of getting both a decent restaurant and teaching job in the area.

I realize this is long, so thanks for reading.. any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 01:10 PM

131 posts, read 98,894 times
Do not know what you consider affordable but you can find nice places in and around Town Center for example, to rent 20-30 depending on traffic to the Beach. PadMapper and Apartments.com, are several of many web sites that may be helpful. Can't speak to how easy it is to get a teaching position but I am sure that there are people that monitor these threads that will be able to answer for you. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:50 PM

927 posts, read 532,339 times
What grade level/subject?

Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are hard school districts to get into unless you have a licence in one of the high-demand, low-supply grade levels/subjects(like high school math or foreign language).

There's a glut of English/history/elementary school teachers in just about every school district.

You'd have an easy time getting into the Norfolk or Portsmouth school districts, but there is a reason for that. The turnover rate is ridiculous, especially at the secondary education level.

Norfolk is much more liberal than Virginia Beach. I'm not really sure what you mean by "liberal-minded". You can be a liberal and live anywhere in Hampton Roads and be fine. The "conservatives" here are often more fiscally conservative than socially conservative. I live in a conservative neighborhood and just about everyone I know is completely accepting of gays, interracial couples, and the like. If you want to come here and push for higher taxes and more social programs, nobody will like you and you'll probably want to stay in MA

Ghent sounds like it would be a good fit, and is a short drive to get to a beach.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:55 PM

119 posts, read 397,887 times
Anywhere in Ghent is probably your best bet. Trendy, urban, and fairly progressive. Downtown Norfolk is the next best bet. Lots of new things opening up and lots of activity on the weekend. Condos/Apartments can be a bit on the pricey side though.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:32 PM

5,013 posts, read 6,635,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
What grade level/subject?

Virginia Beach and Chesapeake are hard school districts to get into unless you have a licence in one of the high-demand, low-supply grade levels/subjects(like high school math or foreign language).

There's a glut of English/history/elementary school teachers in just about every school district.

You'd have an easy time getting into the Norfolk or Portsmouth school districts, but there is a reason for that. The turnover rate is ridiculous, especially at the secondary education level.

Norfolk is much more liberal than Virginia Beach. I'm not really sure what you mean by "liberal-minded". You can be a liberal and live anywhere in Hampton Roads and be fine. The "conservatives" here are often more fiscally conservative than socially conservative. I live in a conservative neighborhood and just about everyone I know is completely accepting of gays, interracial couples, and the like. If you want to come here and push for higher taxes and more social programs, nobody will like you and you'll probably want to stay in MA

Ghent sounds like it would be a good fit, and is a short drive to get to a beach.

Are you sure about that? I know for a fact Chesapeake had rooms without teachers up to, at least, the week before school started last year. VAB is harder to get into, and now that the district is 100% accredited I expect them to become even harder to get into.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 AM

927 posts, read 532,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Are you sure about that? I know for a fact Chesapeake had rooms without teachers up to, at least, the week before school started last year. VAB is harder to get into, and now that the district is 100% accredited I expect them to become even harder to get into.
What subjects?

When I was looking for work, someone that works in a local school district suggested that I do the "career switcher" program, so I did a ton of research on teaching availability in the area.

I would believe they needed math, technology, foreign language(especially French), or certain high school science teachers, but English/History/Elementary/Art jobs are hard to get in just about every school district.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:11 PM

5,013 posts, read 6,635,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
What subjects?

When I was looking for work, someone that works in a local school district suggested that I do the "career switcher" program, so I did a ton of research on teaching availability in the area.

I would believe they needed math, technology, foreign language(especially French), or certain high school science teachers, but English/History/Elementary/Art jobs are hard to get in just about every school district.
Elementary grades and middle school English for sure, but I know there were others. You could also look for positions that come open during the year. They sometimes go unfilled because there are no applicants, but the teachers who come in mid year are almost always brought back the next year. I wouldn't think technology is a high need area.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:52 PM

6,219 posts, read 7,447,036 times
If you wish to teach you might want to become familiar with the states licensing process VDOE :: Licensure so you can start getting ready for it.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:56 PM

22 posts, read 29,211 times
OP, do you have any impetus to move to this area other than than you want a change/want to be close to the beach? For ex, do you have any family/friends in this area, or any other history spending time here?

If this is a just a random throw of the dart, I'd advise you to spend a decent chunk of time here first to make sure it's a fit. More than just a summer weekend at a beach hotel. Maybe you could rent an AirBnB or something for a couple weeks while you scout out potential job options.

The VB/Norfolk area does have a lot to offer, but be aware of:

- A potentially big cultural transition, since you're coming from the Northeast and emphasize your liberal bent. Hampton Roads isn't some backwards "Deep South" swamp, but there's some traditionally Southern values and attitudes that might turn you off. For example, you wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable here criticizing Trump in public, and you'll find some deep racial divisions here that seem straight out of the 60s. Also, there's a fair amount of "church culture."

- If you'd be coming here alone without any social supports in waiting, you might find this a tough scene for singles. In my experience most people over 30, especially women, are married with children.

- As a counter to both of the points above, I'd suggest that Norfolk might be the best fit — more culturally sophisticated/vibrant, more single people, just more of a "city scene." However keep in mind that Norfolk is far more than a stone's throw from the ocean and any sort of "beach culture." It's not a "best of two worlds" situation... it's actually two different worlds.

I don't say any of this to be discouraging. There's many great things about the area — the beaches, the weather, the food, the parks and other outdoor options. But make sure your expectations are line with reality.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:44 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,423,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky_lane View Post
I am looking to relocate to the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area relatively soon. I am a MA native, and currently live about an hour from Boston and love it. I am looking for a change though now and would love to be even closer to the beach, while hopefully not sacrificing all I love about living in a relatively urban area.

I just turned 30, not married, no kids, looking for a nice, affordable but hopefully comfortable apartment. I am looking to be within 20 minutes from the beach, but also somewhere with a bigger city feel. Mostly I want to live somewhere where there are things to do, good restaurants and nightlife. Also, somewhere with a diverse population, and a more liberal-minded crowd.

I would be looking for a restaurant/bar industry job for the summer and to keep on part-time, as I am a teacher. I'd like to know the relative availability and ease of getting both a decent restaurant and teaching job in the area.

I realize this is long, so thanks for reading.. any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Massachusetts? I don't know; I'm with BrokeDC. It was not as much of a transition for me because Ohio and Virginia are very similar, in particular, the rural parts of Ohio where they echo the sentiments expressed politically in Virginia. But things really aren't that much different in the inner city.

There are other port cities you might be interested in, particularly in the Northwest. You might find the area affordable, IF, you were making the same amount of money here than you do in New England. I would even look at a city like Pittsburgh. It sounds like you want a big city feel, but not as big as Boston.

It depends on what your definition of diversity is. This is a transient area, especially with the military here, so you may get racial diversity and some cultural diversity. I would imagine you can find it, with 1.6 million people here. This is one of those interesting areas where you'll meet as many people that aren't from here with similar views to your own, to people that never left here with conservative views, to people that never left here with liberal views that are more interested in talking about where you're from than they are talking about anything to do with Hampton Roads. A lot of people stereotype locals here in the area, and I don't doubt that they had those experiences but this place is large enough, and varied enough, that you can continue to have those negative experiences if those are the types of people that you attract. So I would hit the Internet and see where you can find people you can hit it off with. Norfolk is a good place to start, not just downtown but the different little hidden districts you'll find throughout the city. Same with Virginia Beach; some of the areas like Pembroke and Town Center, and the Oceanfront are different than the rest of the city.

You will get a large, suburban feel here. Sort of like what you'd get in Texas, Florida, or Georgia. Some love it, some hate it. Let us know what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area