Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 AM

46 posts, read 87,430 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for reading this.
I’m 64 and a retired computer guy, my girlfriend is 58 and an ortho nurse. We now live in Western PA and have vacationed in Virginia Beach for years.
At one time we had a dream of retiring in Virginia Beach, around the Chicks Beach - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel areas but the property prices and traffic are directing us to other areas.
Our concerns/wants are: Safe area, reasonable property pricing, reasonable access to health care, did I mention near the water!!! And a sense of community – small town feel. (the dream of course is a small cottage or beach house - you’ve guessed it- by the beach)
We have a small dog and a daughter and grandson how may come with us.
Our health is for now excellent, but a hospital in the area would be nice.
Not into partying but my girlfriend would like a small area to grow flowers, I would like to throw away the snow shovel :>) .
Housing could be a 2 bedroom condo or detached home. Again on or near the water would be great.
We’ve done our share of drywall, plumping, roofing, electrical, and windows, so rehabbing is o.k. for us. Foreclosures are o.k., as our budget is limited.
We have some money saved but I would need to work at least part time.
I read something of the history of Cape Charles and understand most of the housing is older, and have some understanding of the limitations of using the bridge tunnel for major shipping/ entertainment needs.
Would love any information on Cape Charles itself, shopping, schools ( for the grandkid, in 1st grade now),getting around, neighboring areas ect.
Appreciate any ideas / experience.

Also we are visiting Cape Charles this August, any suggestions on housing for 3 adults (one 6 year old grandkid,) and a small therapy dog?

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 08:42 AM

867 posts, read 1,388,116 times
Not to kick dirt on Cape Charles or anything but it is located on the Eastern Shore. In order to get to Va. Beach from there you will have to pay like $10-15 to cross a bridge/tunnel over 20 miles long.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Thanks,
We often spend time up at Chicks Beach and we are aware of the CBBT. We thought we'd need the tunnel a couple of times a week, spend the rest of the time enjoying a slower pace, maybe : >

Old 03-08-2014, 12:04 PM

6,414 posts, read 1,384,341 times
Tony,
I grew up in Tidewater, you can get a pass for the CBBT for annual use if you are a resident of Cape Charles. My ancestors are from Matthews County so I read with interest your post. I hope you get some information, I can ask my Aunt about how it is there now, and get back with the information.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Tony,
I grew up in Tidewater, you can get a pass for the CBBT for annual use if you are a resident of Cape Charles. My ancestors are from Matthews County so I read with interest your post. I hope you get some information, I can ask my Aunt about how it is there now, and get back with the information.
Costalbum,

That would be wonderful.

Thank You!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:12 PM

Tony, I talked to my Aunt. My ancestors were from Matthews County, VA on the river and Chesapeake Bay, but not Cape Charles. I was wrong. But, we both grew up in Tidewater, Va and she is familiar with Cape Charles. She said it is the closest town on the Eastern Shore to the CBBT (ches bay bridge tunnel). She says many retired people move there, it is on the water, small, and more rural. Sorry, I can't get any more info for you.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Costalbum - Thank You,

We made a reservation for August, still hoping to find out as much as possible before we left.

If you can think of anything, please fell free to let me know.

Regards,

Tony.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:07 AM

Your welcome Tony. I think it is a great area myself , the eastern shore. I am younger than you and still working and I love the Chick's beach/ North area of Va. Beach, but you won't be too far from there (even thought the CBBT is 18 miles or so!).

Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,022 times
Tony,
I'm 69 and moved to Cape Charles in 1996. Since then I've divided my time between Cape Charles and Norfolk where I have a condo downtown. If you're looking for a slow paced life near the water you couldn't ask for a better place. If you're a golfer Bay Creek resort offers both Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus Signature courses. For entertainment and cultural events Arts Enter Cape Charles offers a nice variety of live musical and theatrical performances as well as supporting a top notch art gallery for paintings and sculpture.

You should check with Bay Creek Realty - [email]sales@baycreek.net[/email] - about their vacation packages regarding a place to stay when you visit in August. Bay Creek's new Bayside Village is on the water and has reasonably priced lots and houses. There are also a number of properties in the Cape Charles Historic District that you should check. The CBBT is now $13 one way with a return within 24 hours of $5. You must have an EZ Pass transponder to take advantage of the discount.

I hope this has been helpful.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 AM

8 posts, read 12,447 times
Cape Charles is definitely a slower pace than Virginia Beach/Norfolk, but it might be a great place to retire. A long time ago this was a booming place with a ferry that went to Norfolk and trains that came into town, but now it's a sleepy town with a lot of Victorian houses, some being brought back to their former beauty, others still looking pretty sad. You can pick up a house within walking distance of the beach for a fraction of what it would cost on the southern side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Not much in the way of shopping there, one supermarket up rt 13 from the Cape Charles turn off, a few small shops in town. But you do have the fishing, the golfing, the beach, wildlife sanctuaries and such. Cape Charles has a nice marina, and they are working on bringing in more tourism with things like a tall ship event, but they've got a way to go. Check out Cape Charles, Virginia and Tall Ships at Cape Charles on Facebook. For real estate, if you just want to browse without dealing with a realtor, I'd use Eastern Shore of Virginia Association of Realtors® - Accomack and Northampton Counties

Schools: Northampton County is one of the poorest school districts in the state. I had one Cape Charles parent tell me that when folks can afford private school, they generally send their kids there instead. But that was just one opinion; I'd look into the school district's scores and ask some more parents to get the full story.

Hospital: I believe the only hospital is father north on the Eastern Shore.

Check out some other towns in the area too. Onancock is nice, and also located on the bay side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area