U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2017, 09:00 AM
 
5,005 posts, read 6,618,496 times
Reputation: 5120

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Tell that to TCC (and the scores of other businesses and institutions with Tidewater in their name).
Hampton Roads is an inelegant name and the region has only gone by that for a very brief time. IIt wouldn't surprise me if it is ditched, IMO the area should just be referred to as Norfolk.
Ha! You'll never get people to go along with calling the whole area Norfolk.

Tidewater is the geographic region Hampton Roads is located in, VA has 5. Hampton Roads is the 7 cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2017, 07:02 AM
 
Location: 703x804x757...
2,169 posts, read 1,365,620 times
Reputation: 2259
After a month of living here I can tell you I've faced some brutal housing discrimination, and no, I'm not misspoken. I have no clue how they are getting away with this, and while I've run into this a time or two before, I've never had it to this degree...

In short, I have a felonious background and it is extraordinarily difficult to land a place in this area with it. Nothing in my background is any sex offense or murder, and some things do fall within that seven year and ten year windows I keep finding, but normally the money talks and I provide check stubs and proof of income. I earn roughly 40% over the per capita income for this region, and yet I cannot get into some very posh and luxurious communities here. It is souring me on the area and is doing so very quickly...

I have a whole lot more to contribute to that end but this is BY FAR the most strict place that I've ever lived; I'm sure there are worse areas but I haven't witnessed it. I'm 28 and in my adult life I've live in Metro Atlanta, Charlotte, Fayetteville, Richmond, and two places in Upstate New York. I am being held hostage by the sins of my youth. I'll stop here, but I can tell you this, we only scheduled ourselves for two years here before planting permanent roots somewhere, and I'm looking forward to that day more than ever...

Some other cons is that the roads are horrible in many places; nowhere in this area, not even Norfolk, is even close to being as urban or exciting as Richmond, which sucks because I'm an urbanite; I've eaten at two mom and pops so far that were both highly recommended and I was both highly disappointed; the cost of living here isn't as dramatically high here as people say, but it is high for what you can find elsewhere. There is residential segregation in droves here and it's throughout the two core cities (Norfolk and Virginia Beach), and it's impossible to believe that there is no person with a felony on their record living in some of the more marketable condo and luxury apartment communities here. There's no way, so it's safe to assume that some people have found a way to backdoor into it, or maybe their money just was longer and speaks louder than mine...

This area shares a good bit in common with the Triangle, NC area. I prefer that area. Traffic is the same in both so not an issue. A lot of people born and/or raised here seem to have a negative impression on the area, which is a put off to transplants....

I do enjoy the diversity of the two core cities. I enjoy Norfolk's most urban region, it's just smaller geographically than what I'm used to, and offers a little less. I like the Oceanfront and Town Center. Not impressed with the rest of The Beach. I'm not a coastal or beach guy so that atmosphere is just not appealing to me. I think this is a naturally beautiful area. I like that there is multiple nodes of activity throughout the area. The Tide is definitely underutilized and it says a ton about Beach residents that they dismissed expansion into the city, and not in a good way. The infrastructure here is not very sharp (roads, bridges, busses, light rail), and is better in most comparable areas (again, think Triangle minus the starter light rail). There is not a lot of crime in the two core cities--I understand Norfolk is considered bad for this area, but it really isn't when compared to jurisdictions outside the region of comparable size. This is an easy area to learn your way around--its flat, the streets aren't haphazard or constantly changing name...

Lastly, I think the disunity of the region is disheartening and not at all one of its redeeming factors. I just moved here but I grew up in Virginia and have been to this area many, many times over the years, so my perceptions aren't solely based on a one month stay, although certain things, like the housing discrimination here, I wouldn't be able to know without living here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Status: "I kneel with Kaepernick" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Arlington/Fairfax, Virginia
20,834 posts, read 28,533,623 times
Reputation: 26156
I'm back in the area for a few days after growing up here. I call it Hampton Roada because people always seem to recognize it more outsode the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 12:04 PM
 
5,005 posts, read 6,618,496 times
Reputation: 5120
Murksiderock am I correct in understanding you're upset because you don't meet the rental qualifications and no one will bend the rules for you? You either meet the criteria or you don't. The rental agents aren't going to risk their jobs to bend the rules for you. Maybe you'd have better luck renting a house or condo from an individual vs a company. As for the making 40% more than per-capita income for the area that would mean you're making around $43,222.20 which isn't really a lot when it comes to the rental market around here. Most places want a net income of 2.5-3 times the rent, so maybe your income isn't high enough for them to look the other way, if that's a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 02:44 PM
 
Location: 703x804x757...
2,169 posts, read 1,365,620 times
Reputation: 2259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Murksiderock am I correct in understanding you're upset because you don't meet the rental qualifications and no one will bend the rules for you? You either meet the criteria or you don't. The rental agents aren't going to risk their jobs to bend the rules for you. Maybe you'd have better luck renting a house or condo from an individual vs a company. As for the making 40% more than per-capita income for the area that would mean you're making around $43,222.20 which isn't really a lot when it comes to the rental market around here. Most places want a net income of 2.5-3 times the rent, so maybe your income isn't high enough for them to look the other way, if that's a thing.
My math is wrong then, because no, I make around $50,000...

You're wrong in your assumptions of why I'm upset and maybe you'd do well to not assume you're a good mind reader. Maybe you've never faced any type of discrimination or segregation, and maybe you don't understand how things like this work on a social level and how they impact a society, so I'll try to simplify it for you: when you tell a group of people that they can't live here, but they can live here, then we're segregating a group of people based off of desire. And when you segregate people into specific areas---better yet, when you exclude a group of people from somewhere, that's segregation, and things like concentrated poverty, generational poverty, impact for social discrimination in other types form. This would seem to go against FHA guidelines, and yet there exists loopholes to keep the "less desireables" out even when the regulations and loopholes are bordering on extreme...

Maybe you've either never lived outside of this area, but as I said, I've lived many places. Only one of those places I've lived, have I run into trouble finding a place to stay, and even there never to this degree. Many, many places do not do a criminal background check on order to rent or lease; of those that do, many only exclude sex offenders, those currently on parole or probation, or people with a murder on their background....

I have never faced such widespread blockage of people who have a criminal record. This may be news to you too, but just because someone was a criminal for, doesn't make them a criminal for life. People can't have it both ways--lament about existent crime, but have created the framework in which to concentrate poverty and/or people who cannot live anywhere but "sketchy" areas, and then wonder why recidivism exists or why people can't just change their lifestyles and living situations...

It's residential segregation derived from housing discrimination and maybe you just aren't close enough to the issue for it to matter to you. Nobody is asking anybody to risk their job. But this issue is worse here than anywhere I have ever lived, and it definitely builds a distrust and dislike of the area in other arenas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2017, 06:02 PM
 
119 posts, read 51,346 times
Reputation: 120
I completely disagree with the OP's opinion about health care. We've been here almost nine years (family of six) and have found some really excellent physicians. I can't speak to all of them, obviously, and we've definitely had a few clunkers, but, overall, I love our doctors.

Traffic, no bueno.

Love the climate, love being close to the beach, find the people pleasant enough. Overall, we like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 05:17 PM
 
392 posts, read 278,639 times
Reputation: 345
Murk

don't let the door hit you in the ass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2017, 08:08 PM
 
926 posts, read 729,891 times
Reputation: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
My math is wrong then, because no, I make around $50,000...

You're wrong in your assumptions of why I'm upset and maybe you'd do well to not assume you're a good mind reader. Maybe you've never faced any type of discrimination or segregation, and maybe you don't understand how things like this work on a social level and how they impact a society, so I'll try to simplify it for you: when you tell a group of people that they can't live here, but they can live here, then we're segregating a group of people based off of desire. And when you segregate people into specific areas---better yet, when you exclude a group of people from somewhere, that's segregation, and things like concentrated poverty, generational poverty, impact for social discrimination in other types form. This would seem to go against FHA guidelines, and yet there exists loopholes to keep the "less desireables" out even when the regulations and loopholes are bordering on extreme...

Maybe you've either never lived outside of this area, but as I said, I've lived many places. Only one of those places I've lived, have I run into trouble finding a place to stay, and even there never to this degree. Many, many places do not do a criminal background check on order to rent or lease; of those that do, many only exclude sex offenders, those currently on parole or probation, or people with a murder on their background....

I have never faced such widespread blockage of people who have a criminal record. This may be news to you too, but just because someone was a criminal for, doesn't make them a criminal for life. People can't have it both ways--lament about existent crime, but have created the framework in which to concentrate poverty and/or people who cannot live anywhere but "sketchy" areas, and then wonder why recidivism exists or why people can't just change their lifestyles and living situations...

It's residential segregation derived from housing discrimination and maybe you just aren't close enough to the issue for it to matter to you. Nobody is asking anybody to risk their job. But this issue is worse here than anywhere I have ever lived, and it definitely builds a distrust and dislike of the area in other arenas...
I don't know your situation and I haven't fully read this thread but I will say, my parents grew up in Hampton Roads and moved to NoVa after they graduated college, I still go back and visit since I still have family there and... yeah... it's not an area I would suggest unless you're looking to retire. Bad traffic, low pay, subpar job market, high cost of living, etc.

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of upward mobility, and to me there's always a weird undercurrent there that I can't put my finger on, like it's not as progressive as it tries to come across (with the exception of maybe Norfolk). Then again, maybe I'm just used to Northern Virginia so my perception is skewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 12:18 PM
 
926 posts, read 529,042 times
Reputation: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I don't know your situation and I haven't fully read this thread but I will say, my parents grew up in Hampton Roads and moved to NoVa after they graduated college, I still go back and visit since I still have family there and... yeah... it's not an area I would suggest unless you're looking to retire. Bad traffic, low pay, subpar job market, high cost of living, etc.

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of upward mobility, and to me there's always a weird undercurrent there that I can't put my finger on, like it's not as progressive as it tries to come across (with the exception of maybe Norfolk). Then again, maybe I'm just used to Northern Virginia so my perception is skewed.
Your perception of this area isn't really skewed. Generally, when it comes to people just moving to the area, it is great for some, bad for most.

I've always called Hampton Roads a sweepstakes: Many will enter, few will win.

If you're a young engineer, this area is great. There are plenty of opportunities, and not much competition for jobs. The big players that hire engineers also pay very high compared to the cost of living.

If you're beginning your career or are mid-career, and don't have a highly marketable skill, then yeah, there's not much here for you.

There's also the peninsula/southside/7 city divide. What applies in Newport News doesn't apply in Virginia Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Status: "I kneel with Kaepernick" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Arlington/Fairfax, Virginia
20,834 posts, read 28,533,623 times
Reputation: 26156
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I don't know your situation and I haven't fully read this thread but I will say, my parents grew up in Hampton Roads and moved to NoVa after they graduated college, I still go back and visit since I still have family there and... yeah... it's not an area I would suggest unless you're looking to retire. Bad traffic, low pay, subpar job market, high cost of living, etc.

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of upward mobility, and to me there's always a weird undercurrent there that I can't put my finger on, like it's not as progressive as it tries to come across (with the exception of maybe Norfolk). Then again, maybe I'm just used to Northern Virginia so my perception is skewed.
NoVA resident and HR native myself. I've never thought of HR as progressive overall. The only reason it has a lot of blue is the high Black population. But driving through Hampton the last couple of days, I'm thinking there are far more churches than inner beltway NoVA. I would not feel comfortable living back in HR as an atheist now.

I'm probably going to leave NoVA in the next two years and HR is just not a viable option far as career right now. Also stinks as a single guy. If I had a family, I would not mind a house in a decent neighborhood in Hampton or Newport News, yes there is such a thing in those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top