U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 10:31 PM

927 posts, read 565,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Also stinks as a single guy. If I had a family, I would not mind a house in a decent neighborhood in Hampton or Newport News, yes there is such a thing in those cities.
Definitely sucks as a single male. The transient military presence tends to cause a very jaded young female population.

Just about every one of my female friends has had their fair share of fly-by-night romances.

Makes it hard as a non-transient to find a female companion that doesn't question your every move.

When living in Newport News, my love life was like:

I moved to Colombia for a while, and felt like:

Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:54 PM

892 posts, read 1,228,539 times
I identify as an atheist and haven't had any issues with that in VB (also moved here after about 10 years in NOVA). I will say I have a bit of a longing for an "easy" community that a church seems to offer to many, but that is true in any location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
I've always called Hampton Roads a sweepstakes: Many will enter, few will win.
I love this

Old 08-14-2017, 02:13 PM

405 posts, read 296,987 times
Quote:
Your perception of this area isn't really skewed. Generally, when it comes to people just moving to the area, it is great for some, bad for most.

I've always called Hampton Roads a sweepstakes: Many will enter, few will win.

If you're a young engineer, this area is great. There are plenty of opportunities, and not much competition for jobs. The big players that hire engineers also pay very high compared to the cost of living.

If you're beginning your career or are mid-career, and don't have a highly marketable skill, then yeah, there's not much here for you.

There's also the peninsula/southside/7 city divide. What applies in Newport News doesn't apply in Virginia Beach.
I've said it many times before. No one is forced to move to HR. And if you enlisted and came here, no one forced you to sign up.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:28 PM

17 posts, read 8,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Actually no. Not even close. Maybe the name is a little "inelegant", but Hampton Roads has been the moniker for the area for a VERY long time. The name actually goes back to the 18th century.

Tidewater was the favored name for the area for a while, especially in the mid-20th century or so. But the momentum started to swing back to Hampton Roads in the 70s. Sure, you cited Tidewater Community College (founded 1968). But what about entities created over the last 30 years or so? The Hampton Roads Admirals? And the Gulls before them? What about Hampton Roads Transit? The Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel? I can keep going, but you get the picture.

Also, in 1983, the postmark for the area from the US Postal Service was officially changed from Tidewater, Virginia to Hampton Roads, Virginia. Just about anyone under 40 will refer to the area as Hampton Roads. Many kids under the age of 25 or so haven't even heard of the Tidewater monicker (outside of the school). There may be attempts in the future to change the branding (who remembers the short-lived effort to make "Coastal Virginia" a thing?). The point is, the area is Hampton Roads... not Tidewater. It's pretty silly to argue otherwise.
The effort is still on going. Started gaining some traction a few years ago; for ex. Hampton Roads Magazine changed its name to Coastal Virginia Magazine. And I've noticed more organizations and media use "Coastal Virginia" as a region identifier. But still not as ubiquitous as "Hampton Roads" or "Tidewater" though. I swear, this region has gone through more name changes than Sean Combs, lol.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:00 AM

94 posts, read 229,559 times
I just moved here in March 2017 after 30 years in Honolulu. My observations:

Traffic - No where near as bad as major cities anywhere, except tail gaiting for no reason what so ever... I-264 aint Talladega!

Food - No national chefs' have their own place in entire metro, lots of small mom & pop and up and comming places though.

Housing - Very affordable for every price range / income level..... No 750K houses made of crap like Honolulu for sure.....

People - a mixed bag.... some very friendly, southen hospitality still around.... some idiots too. Goes for all races...

Jobs - Salaries much lower than Honolulu outside of Federal government. Some in workforce could use a lesson in customer service for sure!!!

Weather - Being originally from Alabama, I forgot after 30 years of trade wind weather what 100% humidity felt like...

Transportation - ORF has plenty of flights to most major cities... On local level, how can a city turn down light rail when the tracks are already in place? Way too much competition between Norfolk and VA Beach. This area will never be major league when cities can't agree on transit much less a pro sports team......

Old 08-16-2017, 01:25 PM

5,161 posts, read 6,840,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayinhawaii View Post
I just moved here in March 2017 after 30 years in Honolulu. My observations:

Traffic - No where near as bad as major cities anywhere, except tail gaiting for no reason what so ever... I-264 aint Talladega!

Food - No national chefs' have their own place in entire metro, lots of small mom & pop and up and comming places though.

Housing - Very affordable for every price range / income level..... No 750K houses made of crap like Honolulu for sure.....

People - a mixed bag.... some very friendly, southen hospitality still around.... some idiots too. Goes for all races...

Jobs - Salaries much lower than Honolulu outside of Federal government. Some in workforce could use a lesson in customer service for sure!!!

Weather - Being originally from Alabama, I forgot after 30 years of trade wind weather what 100% humidity felt like...

Transportation - ORF has plenty of flights to most major cities... On local level, how can a city turn down light rail when the tracks are already in place? Way too much competition between Norfolk and VA Beach. This area will never be major league when cities can't agree on transit much less a pro sports team......
Traffic: my only major issue is the tunnel when it backs up.

Food: Guy Fieri has a restaurant at waterside. Hopefully it's not as bad as the one he has in NYC.

Transportation: the tracks in VAB aren't light rail tracks. The tracks in place couldn't be used. The land could be used, but the tracks would have had to have been ripped up and replaced.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:21 PM

927 posts, read 565,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Food: Guy Fieri has a restaurant at waterside. Hopefully it's not as bad as the one he has in NYC.
It's an overpriced burger joint. Definitely nothing "chef worthy" about the place.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:33 PM

5,161 posts, read 6,840,865 times
Quote:
It's an overpriced burger joint. Definitely nothing "chef worthy" about the place.
That's what I figured. I was disappointed by the one in NYC, so I didn't see any need to rush out to try it. I prefer Wiskey Kitchen and other locally sourced restaurants.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:58 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,571,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRedThumb View Post
We moved to Hampton Roads in the spring of 2011 for a job offer. The job worked out great. Life in Hampton Roads overall, though, is a mixed bag.

If you're thinking about relocating here, this is what I've observed...

PROS
Lots of good safe neighborhoods with no crime, if you're willing to spend a big chunk of income on housing
Police will go by you as you speed and they won't much care, as long as you're not being ridiculous
Some really good small local businesses if you take the time to find them
Public resources like parks and libraries are maintained pretty well -- you can always find something to do
Good sushi
Grocery stores have produce from local farms
Some school districts are great, but again you will pay a lot of money for it
You can make it to the Outer Banks in about two hours (they have better beaches)
We have Aldi and a Trader Joe's
There's a pretty vibrant artist community here
Lots of charities doing good work if you want to volunteer

CONS
Traffic is terrible -- it suffers from both congestion/infrastructure as well as bad drivers. I've been rear-ended three times in the same car.
People are pushy in public
Healthcare is very weak -- not the best doctors, so you'll end up treating yourself half the time
It's very difficult to find a good church
There is constantly new construction with condos, shopping malls, etc being fit into tighter spaces
The weather changes so rapidly that forecasts are unreliable
The VB boardwalk is overrated and unsafe at night

Overall, this area is safe and pleasant enough, as long as you have a high income, but I would not want to live here forever.

I hope this helps!
Sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area