U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 809 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,
My wife and I and our 6th grader will be moving from Boston for my new job at the Hampton VA hospital and are looking for good areas. We are looking at areas like Grafton or Tabb on the north and around Hilltop or Alanton in the Virginia Beach area itself. We would be renting at first and then would like to purchase a small house in the same school district so Alanton might be out of our price range. Any recommendations which would also consider a maximum commute of 45-50 minutes? Coming from Boston, anything under an hour is an improvement!
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 12:10 PM

20,874 posts, read 28,591,468 times
I would highly not recommend living in Virginia Beach and working in Hampton due to the tunnel commute. I think you should stick with Tabb or Grafton since they have the best schools out of an overall crappy school system situation on the Peninsula.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 809 times
Dear Dissehter, Thank you.
I had a cousin who lived in Virginia Beach mention the tunnel as well. Is it really that bad? I'm coming from Boston where an hour long commute is typical for me. I was thinking with our 11 yr old son, being able to go to the beach anytime would be really nice. Where we live in Boston, our typical beach destination is an hour or so. If we go to the Cape, add another 30 minutes for bridge traffic. Or is it easy to get to the beach on the weekends and so my concern should be about the daily commute?

Old 08-15-2017, 02:25 PM

20,874 posts, read 28,591,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinkster View Post
Dear Dissehter, Thank you.
I had a cousin who lived in Virginia Beach mention the tunnel as well. Is it really that bad? I'm coming from Boston where an hour long commute is typical for me. I was thinking with our 11 yr old son, being able to go to the beach anytime would be really nice. Where we live in Boston, our typical beach destination is an hour or so. If we go to the Cape, add another 30 minutes for bridge traffic. Or is it easy to get to the beach on the weekends and so my concern should be about the daily commute?
I did a Google Map just now from the hospital to Alanton. 47 minutes currently with current rush hour traffic. This is with no accidents. The one good thing is that the hospital is right at the tunnel so not too much problem getting on. The issues will be with 64 and 264 once you are across and usually one will have an accident. I think poster VBoryork has done the commute from VA Beach to Hampton, you may want to hit them up.

Far as the beach goes, depends which beach you want to go to. Say Buckroe in Hampton, super easy to get to. The Oceanfront, more difficult.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:41 PM

138 posts, read 67,990 times
Quote:
Good afternoon,
My wife and I and our 6th grader will be moving from Boston for my new job at the Hampton VA hospital and are looking for good areas. We are looking at areas like Grafton or Tabb on the north and around Hilltop or Alanton in the Virginia Beach area itself. We would be renting at first and then would like to purchase a small house in the same school district so Alanton might be out of our price range. Any recommendations which would also consider a maximum commute of 45-50 minutes? Coming from Boston, anything under an hour is an improvement!
Thanks in advance
The one good thing as The Dissenter mentions is that the VA is literally RIGHT at the interstate as the bridge tunnel begins so your commute home will essentially start at the front of the line to get out of the traffic. Your commutes to work though if made during rush hour will likely be north of an hour many days if you live in Virginia Beach.

I would look in the Grafton or Tabb areas, though to be honest the housing market is pretty thin there at the moment.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:29 PM

5,030 posts, read 6,644,165 times
It really depends on what time you have to be at work. I would consider it, given the location of the VA, if schools and proximity to the beach were my main concerns. Getting home wouldn't be that bad, and you could learn the side streets as a work around. The commute there will be your issue. There's no avoiding getting through the tunnel. You may want to look at google maps of the HRBT traffic around the time of your commute before making a decision. I wouldn't even consider Hampton or Newport News schools.

VAB is the only Hampton Roads district where all the schools are accredited.

SOL scores stagnant statewide | WAVY-TV

Old 08-16-2017, 02:02 AM

815 posts, read 582,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobarounder View Post
Hello

Probably you will need to look at www.jobarounder.com. It is a website to find job in Dublin and in Barcelona. Not just this: There is an explanation of how to start living in Dublin and in Barcelona: transport, bureaucracy, prices of rent, work situation, salary situation, etc, and there are looking to increase the cities if they find members.

Also it have a job board with few jobs and a community forum to talk about different topics.

Thanks
????

Old 08-16-2017, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 809 times
Thanks, its looking like Grafton and Tabb are where we should be focusing our attention. We just got excited about Virginia Beach as most of the beaches we go to in New England are city beaches with more rocks than sand. I was reading another thread on here from a few years ago that York county is typical American suburban while VB has a lot more stuff to do. I'm assuming that driving down to Virginia Beach is common on the weekends? We're trying to drive down before school starts to look at a few apartments. Hopefully, then around this time next year, we would know the area and buy a house.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:37 AM

5,030 posts, read 6,644,165 times
Quote:
Thanks, its looking like Grafton and Tabb are where we should be focusing our attention. We just got excited about Virginia Beach as most of the beaches we go to in New England are city beaches with more rocks than sand. I was reading another thread on here from a few years ago that York county is typical American suburban while VB has a lot more stuff to do. I'm assuming that driving down to Virginia Beach is common on the weekends? We're trying to drive down before school starts to look at a few apartments. Hopefully, then around this time next year, we would know the area and buy a house.
Traffic to VAB will be backed up at the start of the weekend and to the peninsula at the end of the weekend. The branches on the peninsula are on the Chesapeake bay/rivers. VA Beach beaches, mostly, are ocean beaches. Make sure you check the crime reports for any area you pick, and visit at night and the day.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:23 PM

927 posts, read 533,524 times
The number one rule of Hampton Roads is:

Live on the side of the water where you work.

There is literally zero reason to do otherwise. Driving across the bridge is normally a 45 minute affair. During rush hour times, you can expect an hour at the minimum up to 2 hours for your commute, one way. If you live near the oceanfront of Virginia Beach and live in Hampton, may god have mercy on your soul.

Grafton and Tabb are very nice places to live. The school systems are the best on the peninsula, but that doesn't mean they're good. Housing is expensive but the neighborhoods are typically nice. Avoid Lackey.

As a general rule, anyplace that is cheaper than the rest isn't an area you want to live. There are no bargains in Hampton Roads when it comes to housing. You get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area