U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 294 times

Advertisements

I am looking for advice on the Virginia open carry law while driving. I do not have a conceal carry permit. I travel a lot through the state and I'm wondering what is the best way to handle getting pulled over by the police with a firearm in the car.

When driving I have the unloaded firearm right behind me in the back seat in the case with the case open. My thought is if I'm pulled over then I can lower the back window and immediately let the police officer know I have an unloaded handgun in the backseat.

Thoughts if this is the proper way to handle the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 01:01 PM

404 posts, read 296,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia questions View Post
I am looking for advice on the Virginia open carry law while driving. I do not have a conceal carry permit. I travel a lot through the state and I'm wondering what is the best way to handle getting pulled over by the police with a firearm in the car.

When driving I have the unloaded firearm right behind me in the back seat in the case with the case open. My thought is if I'm pulled over then I can lower the back window and immediately let the police officer know I have an unloaded handgun in the backseat.

Thoughts if this is the proper way to handle the situation?
Why don't you just call the VA State police and ask them for the rules when transporting a firearm through the state. Do you just routinely carry a firearm in the back seat? What for?

Old 08-21-2017, 05:53 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,671,992 times
Agree with calling the state police for the rules but why don't you just place the unloaded gun and its case in the trunk. If you really anticipate you will be stopped a stored/secured gun in its case would be looked at as one being transported not in standby to potentially create trouble.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:11 PM

712 posts, read 1,840,630 times
You don't even have to call, the state police have a website that addresses your question:
Virginia State Police - Transporting Firearms through Virginia

To quote the section:
"As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel. The term “secured” as used does not require the compartment to be locked. OAG opinion 11-111."

This would probably be far simpler to than attempting to demonstrate open carry with an unobstructed view. You must still be in legal possession and it would probably be a good idea to do the course, pay the fee, and get the permit for your state, or a nonresident permit if needed, so the state police can easily determine your legal status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area