U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
4,844 posts, read 4,578,718 times
Reputation: 2441

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
Same with the HRBT. The traffic studies concluded that going to just six lanes wouldn't be sufficient to handle the growth in the region (eight or ten would have been better), but that's what we're getting because it's cheaper and easier to execute.
That's an entirely different animal. HRBT needs twice the capacity it has now. And no one wants to build a really tall bridge here. So as you say you get what you can afford. Small steps around here, small steps. As long as we don't lose people here to other regions we will be okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2017, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
149 posts, read 289,715 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
That's an entirely different animal. HRBT needs twice the capacity it has now. And no one wants to build a really tall bridge here. So as you say you get what you can afford. Small steps around here, small steps. As long as we don't lose people here to other regions we will be okay.
Actually people would be happy building a tall bridge here because it is cheaper than multiple tunnels. However, the Navy won't allow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 PM
 
5,162 posts, read 6,849,493 times
Reputation: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by stva View Post
Actually people would be happy building a tall bridge here because it is cheaper than multiple tunnels. However, the Navy won't allow it.
I've heard that, but never seen any proof. Not to mention the M&M is on the other side of the base so in reality if the navy issue was the issue they could have built a bridge there. I think it's more to do with the large volume of ships and shipyards in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2017, 08:44 PM
 
174 posts, read 93,158 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I've heard that, but never seen any proof. Not to mention the M&M is on the other side of the base so in reality if the navy issue was the issue they could have built a bridge there. I think it's more to do with the large volume of ships and shipyards in the area.
There's still the Newport News Shipbuilding that needs to be able to get its ships out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
4,844 posts, read 4,578,718 times
Reputation: 2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by stva View Post
Actually people would be happy building a tall bridge here because it is cheaper than multiple tunnels. However, the Navy won't allow it.
Well that's an entirely different issue. Either this region is going to spend the money, even if we don't get that money back within our lifetime, or there's no point even discussing the issue.

A combination of approaches would be best. Most port areas, even if they do have that tall bridge, they also have tunnels for their rail system in place (where it goes across the water). It means nothing to facilitate cars going across and you still can't get across if you don't drive (or have to rely on a bus, that is only going to get stuck in traffic if you do try to cross).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 01:37 PM
 
714 posts, read 1,030,500 times
Reputation: 893
OP never came back so it looks like we successfully talked her out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2017, 12:01 PM
 
18 posts, read 7,976 times
Reputation: 13
Thats going to be a nightmare! Driving back and forth from Williamsburg to DC is gonna get old for you real quick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top