Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 PM
par

7 posts, read 22,073 times

Advertisements

I m a native of the "beach" and I say no to Portsmouth and Norfolk. Consider Greenbrier in Chesapeake or Kempsville/Landstown/Salem area of VB. Great for families, lots of growth so home values will never go down and low crime areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 09:54 AM

22 posts, read 79,387 times
If you're gonna be at NS Norfolk expect a heck of a commute from VA Beach. The interstates are busy, the tunnels are deathly slow & Hampton Blvd. towards the base is bumper-to-bumper. That being said, it's what you get for probably a better city.

Portsmouth is a quicker commute, just be careful about the neighborhood.

The Western Branch area of Chesapeake is nice too & about the same commute as from most of Portsmouth.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:31 PM

261 posts, read 1,272,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arudd427 View Post
If you're gonna be at NS Norfolk expect a heck of a commute from VA Beach. The interstates are busy, the tunnels are deathly slow & Hampton Blvd. towards the base is bumper-to-bumper. That being said, it's what you get for probably a better city.

Well, in the case that you mentioned, a person actually *wouldn't* have to go through any tunnels if they came from Va. Beach. It's a bit of a longer commute, but the only tie-up in traffic would be the I264-I64 interchange. Yes, tunnels can be hectic, which is why a place like the Beach or parts of Chesapeake would actually make sense, IMHO.

You say Portsmouth is a quicker commute, but a person would be doomed to go through the tunnels no matter what. The only practical ways northward are through the Midtown and Downtown tunnels. Portsmouth might be a shorter distance as the crow flies to the naval station, but I doubt that it would be less time -- or less of a headache.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:10 PM

22 posts, read 79,387 times
Well, however you put it, traffic here is a nightmare.

You're either stuck in it or living & travelling well out of your way to get anywhere.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,192 times
Default Virginia Beach Crime Reports

there is a web site that I found in my search for a new home that is AWESOME.

https://wwws.vbgov.com/ePRO/MainUI/Crimes/CrimeSearch.aspx (broken link)

You can put the street you are interested in and it will tell you every crime dating back to 1JAN2004. It was very helpful for me. You can also do neighborhoods. Do you have an agent? If not, I know a great one. Also, keep in mind, a lot of people will tell you negative things about Green Run and Rosemont Forrest, but they are HUGE communities. Hope this helps. If you want my agents number drop me an e mail at crackerjack11982@aol.com

Good Luck!

Old 03-10-2007, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,192 times
Quote:

The Western Branch area of Chesapeake is nice too & about the same commute as from most of Portsmouth.
This is true, but with any traffic situation, timing is key. I lived in Chesapeake and made the commute to NOB Norfolk and it took me 26 minutes, but I had to leave at 5:30.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:03 AM

167 posts, read 170,099 times
Question Is One's Command involved?

I speak as a retired Navy man who had to talk to guys about renting or buying homes in the Hampton Roads area, and I have one concern. If anyone in the active duty side is looking for a home, have they communicated this with their chain of command? I ask because a lot of times the senior personnel can direct junior sailors into finding good resources - realtors, landlords, etc. - and help them avoid getting ripped off by some of the shadier elements out there.

Just asking...

Old 06-27-2009, 04:34 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Well, however you put it, traffic here is a nightmare.

You're either stuck in it or living & travelling well out of your way to get anywhere.
Depends on what time you travel. HOV lane at the interchange is open to all traffic until 6 and then switches to HOV2 for commuters. I go to and from the base quite a bit as well as Chesapeake, which is where my office is. I live near Trashmore, so I feel it isn't bad at all. It just all depends on what time you travel. I make it to the base in 15 before 6 and don't do Hampton Blvd unless I get off at Terminal Blvd. to stop for coffee and it isn't bad then either, unless there is a train.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,500 times
I live in Chesapeake. There are some top rated schools here at all levels of education. This area right in the middle of all the bases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area