U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 330 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are a young couple with Navy orders to the Medical Center in Portsmouth. We are relocating from San Diego and do not have ample time to scope out the area (thanks Residency!).. Through internet research, we agree that we want, more than anything... 1. Safe area and, 2. Avoid the Portsmouth tunnels. We have been looking at a lot of homes in Western Branch, but other than google maps street views and posted photos, we donít know anything about the area. Are there any Western Branch streets/neighborhoods/areas to avoid? We are a young couple with a baby on the horizon and a dog who loves long walks in the neighborhood. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 139 times
Did you end up moving there? I'm in a similar situation. Trying to get a feel of what Western Branch is like!

Old 11-30-2018, 03:40 PM

153 posts, read 134,781 times
Jonesp23
Regardless of if you are buying or renting, Western Branch, some areas of Portsmouth and Northern Suffolk are all good candidates if you just want to miss the tunnels. I have helped folks stationed at the Hospital find places to live in all three areas. It will be a longer drive from those areas however to a commissary. There is a Coast Guard Exchange you can avail yourself to closer to these areas but the commissaries at NOB, Oceana, Langley etc are farther. Schools can be an issue (if applicable) or where a spouse might work could also be problematic. In my view, a great place to live but we are prisoners to tunnels and bridges.
Folks who monitor this particular board are usually pretty helpful in offering their opinions on the area, and if you could be a bit more specific on what you would be looking for, we may be able to help!!

Old 12-02-2018, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 139 times
I work in Harbour View and my husband just got a job in Newport News. We currently live in the Kempsville area and are looking to shorten at least one of our commutes, but our #1 priority is a safe neighborhood and decent schools. 3 bedrooms 2 baths around 1700 sqft for under 330k.

Western Branch seems like a good fit, but it makes me nervous since I know nothing of the area, and it is pretty close to some sketchy areas. I've heard good things about at the neighborhoods around Chittum Elementary, but I've also noticed that A LOT of houses in Western Branch have been sold and then relisted within a year for the same price they bought it for (not a flip). It puts doubt in my mind. Why are so many people doing that? Did they move there and feel unsafe? Bad flooding? What am I missing? Just thought it was weird.

Any thoughts?

Old Today, 04:11 PM

153 posts, read 134,781 times
I am not aware of any specific issues in Western Branch. The area contains many older sections as well as new development. Of the 86 single family homes that sold in Western Branch and Western Branch Reserve in the past year, only 6 were rehabbed homes while 18 were new construction. And while I did not do an in depth search, a random sample of homes were owned for 3-14 years before being resold. And the selling prices ranged from 63k to 486k. I know that some areas in the western part of Chesapeake will require flood insurance, and I know that I have not answered your specific questions, but maybe some of this information will help. I would not cross some of those areas of Chesapeake off of your list. I also checked the home sales for homes serviced by Chittum Elementary. In the past year 18 homes sold. The homes in this school's area of service that are currently for sale, are larger and more expensive then what you have indicated you would be interested in. While not serviced by Chittum Elementary, I have had clients in the Wellington area of Western Branch that were very happy with the neighborhood. One exit away for you on 664 and closer to Newport News then Kempsville. Have also had folks in Burbage Grant in Suffolk as well as Steeple Chase that have liked those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or