Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 12:32 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times

Advertisements

Hi, so applied to a few jobs in the Hampton Roads area of VA recently. Applied to 1 job that peaks my interest. Pay wise it pays $2K more a year then what I make and caps at $2K more then I would at my current job.

Is VA Beach less expensive than CT?

Wife and I want to relocate out of CT mainly for cost of living reasons. Big issue is trying to find 1bdrm rents under $1200 where we currently live and so that's why we have been looking to the South.

Would you say VA Beach is less expensive? Read through post on VA Beach any likes or dislikes about the area?

Appreciate the insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 01:02 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, so applied to a few jobs in the Hampton Roads area of VA recently. Applied to 1 job that peaks my interest. Pay wise it pays $2K more a year then what I make and caps at $2K more then I would at my current job.

Is VA Beach less expensive than CT?

Wife and I want to relocate out of CT mainly for cost of living reasons. Big issue is trying to find 1bdrm rents under $1200 where we currently live and so that's why we have been looking to the South.

Would you say VA Beach is less expensive? Read through post on VA Beach any likes or dislikes about the area?

Appreciate the insight.
I live in CT with relatives in VA Beach. Housing is expensive in VA Beach due to the military presence but taxes must be a lot lower. I find a lot of things to be expensive in CT. But the quality of life is better, in my opinion, in CT. More to see and do here. Traffic is horrible here and horrible there. CT is safer, I think. In VA Beach it depends upon where you live.

I didn't mind the Williamsburg area just to the north of VA Beach but VA Beach itself just looks like a big mess to me--mile after mile of big box stores and junk food joints. Williamsburg, of course is more expensive to rent in. Looks like you get what you pay for. Maybe Chesapeake, which is just inland from VA Beach. Locals don't seem to go to the beach much anyway and it's all built up with hotels, not like a New England beach.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:34 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I live in CT with relatives in VA Beach. Housing is expensive in VA Beach due to the military presence but taxes must be a lot lower. I find a lot of things to be expensive in CT. But the quality of life is better, in my opinion, in CT. More to see and do here. Traffic is horrible here and horrible there. CT is safer, I think. In VA Beach it depends upon where you live.

I didn't mind the Williamsburg area just to the north of VA Beach but VA Beach itself just looks like a big mess to me--mile after mile of big box stores and junk food joints. Williamsburg, of course is more expensive to rent in. Looks like you get what you pay for. Maybe Chesapeake, which is just inland from VA Beach. Locals don't seem to go to the beach much anyway and it's all built up with hotels, not like a New England beach.
Yea, I agree stay in CT.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:43 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

CT is not safer than Virginia Beach (though it's likely safer than many other areas in Hampton Roads). But Virginia Beach has one of the lowest crime rates in the country (and if I'm not mistaken, it's by far the lowest for a city its size).

As for big box stores and fast food joints and the like, I won't disagree with you there. Virginia Beach certainly has more than its fair share of those.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:46 PM

5 posts, read 6,968 times
The Virginia Beach oceanfront isn't something to get too excited over, but you're close to other cities (Norfolk, Williamsburg), which have their own things to offer. I'd pick CT over VB though.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:12 AM

998 posts, read 1,248,218 times
Come on down and have a look for yourself. VA Beach is so much more than "big box stores and fast food joints". The built environment very much reminds me of my native SoCal. So much of this area was developed after WWII and is very carcentric with wide boulevards and strip malls BUT those strip malls, like Southern California's, house nicely layered local restaurants and retail. It's NOT New England by any stretch which to me is a good thing, much less claustrophobic and provincial.

The surrounding cities have older bones in their inner cores but for the most part share the same suburbanish built environment. The metro area, stretching from Williamsburg to the Oceanfront, has close to 1.8 million population and the diversity/variety that goes along with that many people.

And there's the OCEAN! The Boardwalk promenades along the water providing bracing long walks in the winter and biking, skating, eating, drinking and people watching in the warmer months.

You can't get much more different than New England, which again, IMO, is a good thing.

New England is beautiful and historic as is this area, just VERY differently nuanced!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:35 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,687,365 times
Taxes do a seem lower in VA. Did some research on rents it's across the board in cost. Found nice 2bdr rents for about $1K to $1100; where in CT probably pay $1800 to $2000. Another plus only about 10 Miles from possible work location compared to 30.

Appreciate the insight.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:29 AM

184 posts, read 244,796 times
My Son and family live in Southport. When I visit, the cost of gas in Ct is routinely 40-50 cents more a gallon. Higher taxes and COL in my opinion. I would agree that crime in VB is low compared to some other cities in the area. Also agree that if possible, come down for a visit before making a decision.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:27 AM

1,110 posts, read 895,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Taxes do a seem lower in VA. Did some research on rents it's across the board in cost. Found nice 2bdr rents for about $1K to $1100; where in CT probably pay $1800 to $2000. Another plus only about 10 Miles from possible work location compared to 30.

Appreciate the insight.
I would check on traffic as well. I like VA Beach, and there is lots to do in the area. Keep in mind that VA also has a car tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area