Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 8,357 times

Advertisements

The reviews online all look promising and not to bad. I’m from Indianapolis and don’t live in a super nice neighborhood currently. Would these be comparable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 05:52 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,501,863 times
Armstrong Gardens itself is an ok neighborhood. There are surrounding neighborhoods that are questionable, especially if you travel further south. The neighboring east end(known to locals as "bad news") is one of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods in the entire state.

There are more important questions though, like:

Where will you be working?

Do you have children coming with you?

Picking that location seems like you're trying to be close to the bridge so you can commute across it.

This is the #1 mistake people, especially military people, make when moving here. They see that Hampton is cheaper than Norfolk/Virginia Beach, and that it's only a few more miles away. They don't realize that the bridge gets backed up 4+ miles DAILY, each way.

If something blocks the tunnel, which happens often, you can be looking at a 2+ hour commute.

If you're working anywhere on the southside(Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, etc), then DO NOT move to the peninsula. Live on the side of the water where you work.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:23 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub777 View Post
The reviews online all look promising and not to bad. I’m from Indianapolis and don’t live in a super nice neighborhood currently. Would these be comparable?
Lockdev is spot on of the analysis. In Hampton, you have to especially be mindful if you live around or South of Mercury Blvd (Rt 258) because it is very easy to have an ok neighborhood next to a seedy one, like Armstrong Gardens being in close proximity to Shell Rd which has a reputation for crime or Todds Ln where there are a few seedy apt complexes right next to neighborhoods with decent middle class single family homes.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 AM

I would be working in Chesapeake. I chose these apartments because they were adoptable. I have 1 dog and 1 cat and look to stay under $850 a month. Now I don’t know what to do if the commute will be bad!

Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I would be working in Chesapeake. I chose these apartments because they were adoptable. I have 1 dog and 1 cat and look to stay under $850 a month. Now I don’t know what to do if the commute will be bad!
Yep, don't do it. You'll hate life. There are plenty of options on the Southside.

You'll also probably end up taking 664 if you're heading to Chesapeake, which depending on the area of Chesapeake, can be a very long commute, even without traffic.

If you can't find any affordable options in Chesapeake, I would reconsider the move. It is a bad idea to move here unless the pay you're moving for allows you to live comfortably.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 AM

979 posts, read 1,774,852 times
Quote:
I would be working in Chesapeake.
Adding another vote for: you do NOT want to live on the peninsula (Hampton, Newport News, etc.). You should be looking to live in Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, or possibly Suffolk. However, Chesapeake is relatively large, so depending on what part of Chesapeake, you'll still want to consider your commute. It sounds like you don't have kids, so schools aren't a factor, correct? You could find something for $850/month in Chesapeake. It won't be in the best area, but I'm not at all familiar with Indianapolis, so I can't help you with any comparisons.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:42 PM

So there are no apartments available in my price range in the time I need (I’m moving with very short notice). So I’m be commuting from close to Hampton Universiry to where 664 crosses 135. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and looking at alternate routes. I’ve also been looking at the google maps route times during rush hour and it doesn’t seem bad... From what I’ve found I need to just check the traffic times before and after work to choose the best route and that I can take 664 or even 17 to and from. I’d be looking at going in at 8am and getting off at 6pm. Is there any other tips or info I should know? Thanks

Old 04-16-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
So there are no apartments available in my price range in the time I need (I’m moving with very short notice). So I’m be commuting from close to Hampton Universiry to where 664 crosses 135. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and looking at alternate routes. I’ve also been looking at the google maps route times during rush hour and it doesn’t seem bad... From what I’ve found I need to just check the traffic times before and after work to choose the best route and that I can take 664 or even 17 to and from. I’d be looking at going in at 8am and getting off at 6pm. Is there any other tips or info I should know? Thanks
Moving on short notice
Moving to Hampton Roads for a low salary
Thinking the advice of multiple residents is incorrect

End well, this will not.

There are 3 routes from Hampton to Chesapeake and ALL of them are terrible.

I am not sure where you're getting information from, but it is wrong. Yes, the "typical commute" is ~45 minutes, but you can count on at least one day a week, that commute is going to be 1-2 hours. If you think you are going to outsmart traffic by picking an alternate route, I have some bad news: Everyone does this. If 64 is backed up, 664 will soon follow. 17 can turn into an absolute nightmare on those days.

The #1 piece of advice for new people here is: Live on the side you work on. Yet, you toss that golden piece of knowledge aside.

You should rethink your move. Seriously.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:04 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,591,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Moving on short notice
Moving to Hampton Roads for a low salary
Thinking the advice of multiple residents is incorrect

End well, this will not.

There are 3 routes from Hampton to Chesapeake and ALL of them are terrible.

I am not sure where you're getting information from, but it is wrong. Yes, the "typical commute" is ~45 minutes, but you can count on at least one day a week, that commute is going to be 1-2 hours. If you think you are going to outsmart traffic by picking an alternate route, I have some bad news: Everyone does this. If 64 is backed up, 664 will soon follow. 17 can turn into an absolute nightmare on those days.

The #1 piece of advice for new people here is: Live on the side you work on. Yet, you toss that golden piece of knowledge aside.

You should rethink your move. Seriously.
I agree. This is a high cost of living area, and you’re going to spend any extra money/time you have on/in your vehicle.

OP did you price car insurance? What about utilities? Your plan may not be worth the move.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:29 PM

I have budgeted everything out including utilities and car insurance. I was offered a salary and the company counter offered. But I simply can’t afford anything over $850 a month because I’m paying off student loans. The apartment I was looking at offered a student discount making the rent $688! It’s a steal. I really don’t have the option to turn down this job or I will have to leave he industry I love to find a job that can cover my expenses. I can ask my company for another increase in the salary, but I’ve already accepted what they offered so I don’t know how I would explain it. I’m so frustrated now. I get I need to do what is smart and makes the most sense by I’m stuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area