U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,209 times

Advertisements

I just got a job working a the Shipyard and I'm looking at an apartment in the Alexander at Ghent complex. - around Granby St in Ghent. I have a dog, therefore I will most likely be walking the little guy multiple times a day. My roommate also has a dog, so hopefully I won't be walking alone a lot of the time, but I can't always bank on that. I'm a very petite, young looking girl and some online reviews have made me extremely anxious about the situation. I was just hoping that I could get some more recent information on feedback and what to expect in terms of neighborhood safety/crime. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 03:44 PM

1,042 posts, read 787,034 times
Alexander at Ghent is overpriced and not even in Ghent. Avoid anything along that strip. It's overpriced and the foot traffic is sketchy.

Which shipyard are you working at? Newport News or Norfolk Naval?

Old 06-07-2018, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 1,209 times
Naval. I'm fresh out of college and apartments over there seem to be the best ones that are pet-friendly (my roommate's dog is big so a lot of the other places have tighter restrictions). My college was in an extremely sketchy area and I survived...never felt too weird walking my dog even though I probably shouldn't have been doing that so late/alone. I guess I'm just nervous because I haven't really seen been to Norfolk yet. (I'm not from anywhere close to VA).

My friends that are down there say Granby St isn't the worst area, just not sure if I trust their judgment. They all say "It's Norfolk, not Detroit" lol

Old 06-07-2018, 03:39 PM

1,042 posts, read 787,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkNewbie View Post
Naval. I'm fresh out of college and apartments over there seem to be the best ones that are pet-friendly (my roommate's dog is big so a lot of the other places have tighter restrictions). My college was in an extremely sketchy area and I survived...never felt too weird walking my dog even though I probably shouldn't have been doing that so late/alone. I guess I'm just nervous because I haven't really seen been to Norfolk yet. (I'm not from anywhere close to VA).

My friends that are down there say Granby St isn't the worst area, just not sure if I trust their judgment. They all say "It's Norfolk, not Detroit" lol
Berkley is the only neighborhood that might rival Detroit.

Norfolk on the west side is normally pretty safe with the exception of some areas in and near Park Place, and a few other places near ODU. Although both have cleaned up considerably over the past 10 years.

Remember that if you have to commute from Ghent, you're going to be hit with a toll both ways. You might think "eh, it's $4 a day" but that hits the budget pretty hard over the course of a year.

You might want to also consider North-western Chesapeake.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:40 PM

5,807 posts, read 5,539,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkNewbie View Post

There isn't anything here even remotely close to Detroit. If that is your point of reference you'll be fine.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:05 PM

401 posts, read 694,239 times
the areas west of Alexander at Ghent are generally safer than the areas to the east. From your post it seems you have basic awareness of your surroundings so i think you should be fine. i walk all around that area almost daily from the Hague to 21st street to the Alexander at Ghent area and all in between. The only out of ordinary things I see tend to be near commercial areas rather than neighborhoods due west of Alexander. Mostly the occasional homeless person who are sometimes loud but I have not seen or experienced any issues with them. The encounters are infrequent. there are lot of folks who take their dogs to the dog park in Ghent and walk there from all around the neighborhoods surrounding it including near your proposed place.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:53 AM

28 posts, read 13,294 times
As you probably know, Granby is the edge of Ghent and as you travel toward Hampton you enter one of the most hip areas of Hampton Roads. Tunnel traffic isn't too bad since they added the tolls and midtown is expanded. Ghent always scores high on walkability indices and has tons of restaurants and things to do. There is a medical school, research hospital and childrens hospital. Ghent proper is very safe. Have fun and pay a bit more to be in a great place for young people.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 AM

5,807 posts, read 5,539,283 times
If the OP is still reading the thread I'm from the Midwest and I'll say that while there are some dangerous areas in Hampton Roads it doesn't match the look and feel of some of worse parts of the Midwest. Difference between bad areas outside of Ghent, and the East side of Cleveland and some of your bad parts of Detroit is night and day.

If anything I might be concerned about getting robbed late at night. And a lot of the homicide that does occur around here, occurs at night. Like long after everything has shut down. Having said that there isn't any place around here I'd be afraid to be at. But you don't want to be stupid and get caught up in some after hours situation at 3 in the morning in a parking garage or some neighborhood. Same as anywhere else.

Old Today, 08:47 AM

9 posts
Hi! My brother lives in Ghent, on Hampton Blvd. and works at ODU. I can put you in touch with him if you still need help finding a place or if you want to get a micro-brew, he goes to O'Connors. Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area