U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:35 AM

3,265 posts, read 1,719,328 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip there next week to visit my folks and will be staying with them. I want to swim in the beach while there.

How to go about? Where to go, park, swim area, etc. Basically for free if possible or minimum expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 11:42 AM

Are these the areas to go to? Chicks Beach, Sandbridge, Buckroe, Ocean View. If so, what can you tell about them?

Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 PM

880 posts, read 417,198 times
IMO Buckroe has a lot of seaweed compared to the others. I usually go to Ocean View but to me Chicks Beach is nice as well. I don’t remember Sandbridge. If Sandbridge is Chesapeake’s Beach it’s really nice.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the first hand inputs Va83.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:56 PM

957 posts, read 1,368,595 times
I usually go to Sandbridge or Croatan. Both have cheaper parking than at the main oceanfront strip, and you can usually find free parking on the street as well. Chicks Beach is on the bay side, so it'll likely have smaller waves.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:27 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
IMO Buckroe has a lot of seaweed compared to the others. I usually go to Ocean View but to me Chicks Beach is nice as well. I donít remember Sandbridge. If Sandbridge is Chesapeakeís Beach itís really nice.
Chesapeake is landlocked so no beaches. Sandbridge is in southern VAB and thatís where we always go. Weíd go there even if it wasnít the closest to our house lol We avoid the oceanfront like the plague.

OP where exactly are you going? These beaches are spread out and can take a bit of time to get to depending on where you are.

Chickís beach (aka Chesapeake beach) is a small beach located at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Itís an alright beach but I wouldnít seek it out as parking is limited since itís in a residential area. I donít think any amenities are available either.

Sandbridge is a nice beach with dunes. Itís the start of the Outerbanks and has that feel once you drive past all the rental houses and arrive at Little Island Park which has a parking lot. Itís also the only beach youíve listed thatís on the Atlantic Ocean vs the Chesapeake Bay. There are 2 bath houses at Little Island Park if thatís important to you.

Buckroe beach is in Hampton, so you have to go through a tunnel to get there from VAB. Itís located on the Chesapeake Bay. There is very limited parking and there have been issues with crime in the area. Itís also not very large. Iím not sure about amenities.

Ocean View Beach is located in Norfolk. Itís actually 3 different beaches which are located on the Chesapeake Bay. There are some amenities but Iím not sure whatís available at each location. I would avoid these beaches durning rush hour due to traffic.

There is also the Virginia Beach Oceanfront (boardwalk). Itís on the Atlantic Ocean but itís also a huge tourist area. If you want to do tourist type things itís your best bet otherwise Iíd stay away. I donít like the sand there. Itís much softer at Sandbridge.

Since someone else mentioned it Croatan Beach is across Rudee inlet from the Oceanfront. It is a small beach located in a neighborhood. There is a parking lot but I think itís closed at times due to activities at Camp Pendleton.

If you have access to the local military bases they have nice beaches as well.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:50 AM

370 posts, read 511,619 times
Here's the best summary I've seen describing all the beaches in the Hampton Roads area:
Beaches near Williamsburg

Old 08-30-2018, 01:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. My folks live in Tidewater-Independence Blvd area, Norfolk. I'll research all your suggestions. I don't like to go to the tourist area - been there. Something with less people and little waves as possible. Bath changes are preferred now that it's mentioned. I don't mind driving up to an hour. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:49 PM

1,441 posts, read 845,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Something with less people and little waves as possible. Bath changes are preferred.. Thanks.
No waves + few tourists = Chic's Beach

There are beach entrances in the neighborhoods (basically) between the Lesner bridge & Pleasure House Rd. No public beach bathrooms like the Oceanfront tho. There's also cool views of (& under) the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Peace

Old 09-02-2018, 11:38 AM

Nice. Will try that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or