Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 04:33 PM

18 posts, read 30,702 times

Advertisements

For the 4 pm to 7 pm timeframe, is traffic worse going east to west (ie from the beach toward Williamsburg), or vice versa?

Interested in general thoughts, esp. worst times and locations to avoid, but maybe someone could also help me with my specific inquiry:

If I had to leave Va Beach sometime during evening rush hour (ultimately toward Richmond/95N), what would be my best option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 05:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Are you talking HRBT? To the Southside in the AM to the peninsula in the afternoon. That being said it all backs up and you don’t want to cross the water during rush hour.

Your best option is to leave early and chill in Richmond for a bit.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:00 PM

43 posts, read 47,492 times
From 4-7 traffic heads west on 64 on the peninsula (Hampton to Williamsburg) and east on 64 on the Southside (Norfolk to Chesapeake/Virginia Beach). The HRBT can be a challenge, but will be worse going west during those hours. The Monitor Merrimac bridge tunnel is usually pretty good, but is a bit out of the way.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:19 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oduengineer88 View Post
From 4-7 traffic heads west on 64 on the peninsula (Hampton to Williamsburg) and east on 64 on the Southside (Norfolk to Chesapeake/Virginia Beach). The HRBT can be a challenge, but will be worse going west during those hours. The Monitor Merrimac bridge tunnel is usually pretty good, but is a bit out of the way.
Getting to the M&M is a challenge. The highrise is an issue, but not the only one. You could take the Downtoen Tunnel but that’s still an issue too.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:00 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
I don't notice any difference. It is hell regardless of where you're going during those hours.

If you can get somewhere without getting on the highway during that time that is probably your best bet. The start, stop, of the highway is exhausting.

For what you're talking about you could avoid both major highways and go out on roads like 460. It is not going to make that much of a difference. Where I'm at now it is 1 hour and 36 minutes to Richmond, but if I take 460 it is 1 hour and 54 minutes. If I take 10 it is 2 hours and 2 minutes. So, for the half hour you're saving taking 64, is it really worth it to you if you're tired and exhausted, just to keep your foot on the brake?

The problem is that people live everywhere. Someone works on the Peninsula and goes home, East, to the Southside. Someone works on the Southside and is making the reverse commute back to the Peninsula. So there is no logic to it. Hampton Roads is not one city where people go back home to the suburbs, or all of the work is in the suburbs and people are going back home into the city. The work is everywhere and the residential is everywhere. A real clusterf*. Probably worse than cities like DC, LA and Atlanta because those cities have better public transportation than we have. And again, in a lot of those cities everyone lives in the suburbs so the issue is going out of the city. People already in the city may not even have cars. People may not even be going home in those cities. Here, it is work, home, work, home, work, school, work, church, work, work, work. There are things to do but one rarely gets to enjoy them here, if they're part of the rat race.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:16 AM

553 posts, read 616,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreNewb View Post
For the 4 pm to 7 pm timeframe, is traffic worse going east to west (ie from the beach toward Williamsburg), or vice versa?

Interested in general thoughts, esp. worst times and locations to avoid, but maybe someone could also help me with my specific inquiry:

If I had to leave Va Beach sometime during evening rush hour (ultimately toward Richmond/95N), what would be my best option?
If traffic on the peninsula isn't too bad, I'd go with 264W (Downtown Tunnel) -> 164 -> 664N (MMMBT) -> 64W

Otherwise, I'd continue down 264 to its end, and then take 460 to 295.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area