U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 04:50 PM

25 posts, read 21,955 times

Advertisements

Which neighborhoods do older, single professionals (i.e., 35 to 50 year olds) live in the Norfolk area?

I work in Washington D.C., live NoVA and looking for a job transfer the Richmond office or Norfolk office towards the end of next year for several reasons.

I'm over the 'city life' and don't want to live in the heart of a city anymore, but don't want to live in the suburbs either. I'm a single, 40 year old professional with no kids and no pets. I find myself in an awkward phase of life because I feel too old to relate to the 20-something crowd, but I cannot relate to people my age who are married and/or have kids.

Where to people in my demographic live in the Norfolk area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:35 PM

5,654 posts, read 5,425,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd290 View Post
Which neighborhoods do older, single professionals (i.e., 35 to 50 year olds) live in the Norfolk area?

I work in Washington D.C., live NoVA and looking for a job transfer the Richmond office or Norfolk office towards the end of next year for several reasons.

I'm over the 'city life' and don't want to live in the heart of a city anymore, but don't want to live in the suburbs either. I'm a single, 40 year old professional with no kids and no pets. I find myself in an awkward phase of life because I feel too old to relate to the 20-something crowd, but I cannot relate to people my age who are married and/or have kids.

Where to people in my demographic live in the Norfolk area?
Probably outside of Norfolk in one of the other cities. Norfolk is doing a lot of infill and is trying to remove their housing projects and replace that with apartments and condominiums. Virginia Beach is doing the same, just no housing projects to speak of but people are building everywhere out there. And both cities, where you don't find apartments, condos, lofts, etc are primarily detached single family homes. Norfolk you can probably rent an old house for like $1,500 to $2,000. You definitely would not be around a young crowd and you probably would not be around married couples with kids because neither are too interested in renting an actual house.

If you go out deep into Chesapeake or Suffolk you might find what you're looking for. The other five cities are going to be too urban for you. Hampton Roads, in general, is about increasing density not the other way around. You might find something different in Southern Chesapeake or Southern Virginia Beach or Suffolk but that is about it. Anything else is too close to Norfolk and Portsmouth and is high density, high rise. Suffolk actually has the most land. They have a little bit of development here and there close to Portsmouth but the difference is night and day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or