U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 PM

16 posts, read 7,800 times

Advertisements

Good Day All,

I'm entertaining a prospective job with the City of Hampton under the Planning Department.

I'd like to get the general consensus / opinion on the city from a few different perspectives so that I can make a more informed decision.

1.) What is the City Government like? Are they responsive, involved, enthusiastic, and engaged? Or are they pedantic, difficult, stand-off-ish, and generally hard to work with?

Would you say that the City has a good reputation?

What is the number one thing which comes to mind when thinking of the municipality from a governmental perspective?

2.) What is the population like? Are most people lower / lower-middle class blue collar workers? Is it a city / area full of blight? Is this a retirement haven or a place full of yuppies with money to spend?

What are the 2 biggest stereotypes of people that come to mind when thinking of the area?

Are people friendly, happy, and neighborly? Are people abrasive, rude, and confrontational?

3.) What are the biggest challenges for the area?

Is development desperately needed? Is the infrastructure falling apart? What are the transit options like (mass / public vs car vs bike vs walkability)?

4.) What are the biggest assets to the area?

Name 3 things which you wish would be explored, exploited, or generally made better use of in the area. What are the things which, given the right backing, have the most potential for becoming iconic, great, or just generally good things in the area?

I'd like to thank all of you in advance as I genuinely do appreciate any and all input that I can receive. My two requests are that you keep everything civil and that you try to break up your points. I'm going to read every response, but it's much easier to understand if you don't make a single block of text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 05:34 PM

23,145 posts, read 32,325,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrane View Post
Good Day All,

I'm entertaining a prospective job with the City of Hampton under the Planning Department.

I'd like to get the general consensus / opinion on the city from a few different perspectives so that I can make a more informed decision.

1.) What is the City Government like? Are they responsive, involved, enthusiastic, and engaged? Or are they pedantic, difficult, stand-off-ish, and generally hard to work with?

Would you say that the City has a good reputation?

What is the number one thing which comes to mind when thinking of the municipality from a governmental perspective?

2.) What is the population like? Are most people lower / lower-middle class blue collar workers? Is it a city / area full of blight? Is this a retirement haven or a place full of yuppies with money to spend?

What are the 2 biggest stereotypes of people that come to mind when thinking of the area?

Are people friendly, happy, and neighborly? Are people abrasive, rude, and confrontational?

3.) What are the biggest challenges for the area?

Is development desperately needed? Is the infrastructure falling apart? What are the transit options like (mass / public vs car vs bike vs walkability)?

4.) What are the biggest assets to the area?

Name 3 things which you wish would be explored, exploited, or generally made better use of in the area. What are the things which, given the right backing, have the most potential for becoming iconic, great, or just generally good things in the area?

I'd like to thank all of you in advance as I genuinely do appreciate any and all input that I can receive. My two requests are that you keep everything civil and that you try to break up your points. I'm going to read every response, but it's much easier to understand if you don't make a single block of text.
I grew up in Hampton and wind up there pretty often but I should point out Iím not a resident and havenít been for years.

1. I will say that Hampton does not have a great reputation. The area is a big secret outside of Virginia for the most part. Inside Virginia, the rep ainít great. The government topic, not appropriate for me to comment on.

2. The bulk of the population consists of military, active and retired, and working class blue collar people. The neighborhoods are pretty well kept. Two stereotypes of Hampton folks are military and shipyard folks mostly. Iíve found Hampton folks to be generally easygoing. They wonít be Mayberry residents who bake you cakes but they are laid back for the most part.

3. Hamptonís biggest challenge is lack of economic opportunity. It is the main reason my mother moved and had me finish high school in the DC area. Outside the military and the shipyard, economic opportunities are severely lacking. If and when the military decides to draw back force at Langley and Eustis, that will likely be a death knell for the city.

Another big challenge is crime. Hampton seems to have more crime every year since I moved away. Definitely doesnít help the cityís rep.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 AM

16 posts, read 7,800 times
Thank you for the great response.

1.) I see that mentioned several times in this forum, but never any real explanation. I understand your hesitation to speak up yourself, but can you shed any light or point me in a direction? I'm not at all comfortable with the "hush hush don't talk about it" aspect this seems to have.

2.) Would you say that there are any areas nearby which break these stereotypes?

3.) Can you think of any opportunities which stand out aside from shipping / naval?

Old 12-07-2018, 07:21 PM

5,595 posts, read 7,759,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I grew up in Hampton and wind up there pretty often but I should point out I’m not a resident and haven’t been for years.

1. I will say that Hampton does not have a great reputation. The area is a big secret outside of Virginia for the most part. Inside Virginia, the rep ain’t great. The government topic, not appropriate for me to comment on.

2. The bulk of the population consists of military, active and retired, and working class blue collar people. The neighborhoods are pretty well kept. Two stereotypes of Hampton folks are military and shipyard folks mostly. I’ve found Hampton folks to be generally easygoing. They won’t be Mayberry residents who bake you cakes but they are laid back for the most part.

3. Hampton’s biggest challenge is lack of economic opportunity. It is the main reason my mother moved and had me finish high school in the DC area. Outside the military and the shipyard, economic opportunities are severely lacking. If and when the military decides to draw back force at Langley and Eustis, that will likely be a death knell for the city.

Another big challenge is crime. Hampton seems to have more crime every year since I moved away. Definitely doesn’t help the city’s rep.
Same here, I mostly grew up there, but I no longer live there and avoid it as much as I can.

1)I’m not a fan of the elected officials but I don’t live there so it’s not my place to complain.

2) the area has really gone downhill. While there are some nicer neighborhoods most are not as well kept as they were in the past. The schools are horrible.

3) One of the biggest issues is the crime rate and lack of opportunities for youth. There is really nothing for them to do which causes it’s own set of issues.

4) The only real plus for the area is the location. There is some very nice real estate in the area but it’s not being used in a way that makes the city attractive.

I personally wouldn’t consider moving back to Hampton because it has nothing to offer my family. The schools are no good, the crime rate is rising, there are really no entertainment or safe shopping opportunities, and I see nothing that shows it moving in another direction.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:40 AM

23,145 posts, read 32,325,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrane View Post
Thank you for the great response.

1.) I see that mentioned several times in this forum, but never any real explanation. I understand your hesitation to speak up yourself, but can you shed any light or point me in a direction? I'm not at all comfortable with the "hush hush don't talk about it" aspect this seems to have.

2.) Would you say that there are any areas nearby which break these stereotypes?

3.) Can you think of any opportunities which stand out aside from shipping / naval?
1. I choose not to comment on the government or quality of it since I live in Northern Virginia and am not that well connected to Hampton politically.

2. Not really. Fox Hill and Farmington seem to be more upper middle class than the rest of the city but totally different side of town than the one I was raised on (mainly to the West of Langley AFB) so I cant say for sure.

3. Nope. Other than Hampton University (like other area schools the students bolt for Richmond and DC when they graduate) and NASA (usually connections outside Hampton get you on there) just very little opportunity in Hampton. The mediocre at best school system isnít much help.

If Hampton had any asset that could be used better it would be old Ft. Monroe and Buckroe Beach. For anyone not wanting to make that extra 60 min trek at times across the HRBT to the VA Beach oceanfront, if Buckroe Beach were more built up as far as shops and restaurants it would be a solid alternative.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:26 AM

1,016 posts, read 298,631 times
Would Ft. Eustis closing or shrinking really impact Hampton that much? It’s all the way down at the other end of Newport News, not a friendly commute for someone in Hampton IIRC.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Would Ft. Eustis closing or shrinking really impact Hampton that much? Itís all the way down at the other end of Newport News, not a friendly commute for someone in Hampton IIRC.
I donít see Ft. Eustis closing. Not only is Ft. Story now part of Eustis but it was combined with Langley. Itís also home Army Aviation Logistics School and 7th Transportation Brigade. Itís north west of Hampton for those who are not geographically familiar with the area.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
1. I choose not to comment on the government or quality of it since I live in Northern Virginia and am not that well connected to Hampton politically.

2. Not really. Fox Hill and Farmington seem to be more upper middle class than the rest of the city but totally different side of town than the one I was raised on (mainly to the West of Langley AFB) so I cant say for sure.

3. Nope. Other than Hampton University (like other area schools the students bolt for Richmond and DC when they graduate) and NASA (usually connections outside Hampton get you on there) just very little opportunity in Hampton. The mediocre at best school system isnít much help.

If Hampton had any asset that could be used better it would be old Ft. Monroe and Buckroe Beach. For anyone not wanting to make that extra 60 min trek at times across the HRBT to the VA Beach oceanfront, if Buckroe Beach were more built up as far as shops and restaurants it would be a solid alternative.
Unfortunately crime has taken over Buckroe Beach. Ft. Monroe however could be a huge plus. A lot of people seem to like the Paradise Ocean Club (interesting name since itís on the bay).

Old 12-09-2018, 07:54 AM

1,016 posts, read 298,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I donít see Ft. Eustis closing. Not only is Ft. Story now part of Eustis but it was combined with Langley. Itís also home Army Aviation Logistics School and 7th Transportation Brigade. Itís north west of Hampton for those who are not geographically familiar with the area.
I donít either, itís already survived a number of closings but I was wondering about Ft. Eustis having that much impact on Hampton employment when itís literally at the opposite end of Newport News. I canít imagine many stationed there would choose to live in Hampton and do that commute.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

1,042 posts, read 780,014 times
Hampton has, in my opinion, the most potential of any other city on the peninsula.

It's location is prime.
It's layout is actually pretty awesome.
It has one of the best Air Force bases in the country.
NASA has a location there.
Has a really cool, underutilized downtown area.
Has pockets of really nice neighborhoods.

Unfortunately, it also has problems that drive good people away:

Very high crime, regardless of location in the city.

Traffic issues related to the interstate/tunnel. When there is a backup(and there is ALWAYS a backup), traffic tends to pour onto the side streets.

A good amount of the population is about as ignorant as they come. There are very nice people in Hampton, but "thug culture" is rampant, especially in the south/east. This is not a race issue either. Thugs come from all races.

This might not be a negative for you, but "church culture" is huge in Hampton. There seems to be a church on every corner, and when meeting someone from there, the topic of your religion usually comes up.

And the big one: The good people leave the second they can afford to. I live in a nearby county, and it seems like all of my neighbors have a "I used to live in Hampton until I could afford to move" story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or